• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest *FINAL RANKING*

116 posts in this topic

The last message I sent to Nik after the 2007/8 grading contest on 26th Jan 2008:

Thanks for running the show! It's been fun, and I think I've just about managed to avoid finishing last :wishluck:

I finished in 81st place. I was new to CGC and the boards and was amazed that somebody would go to all the trouble of running such a game purely for fun, and would let a perfect stranger - a noob at that - like me join in. Thanks Nik, that was an awesome introduction to the community.

A big final thanks also to DrWatson, sckao, GACollectibles and joeypost for continuing the tradition (and letting me win!)

My trophy is now proudly displayed on my desk at work:

trophy.jpg

Here is a quote I found from Ze-Man from a contest held a few years ago. I think this might be the first time the word "Bump" was used for books from "Nikos"

Touche Nikos.. touche indeed.

Reminds me of Vizzini, from The Princess Bride.

"Well.. since we all know Nikos gets favorable grades from CGC.. we better bump up our guess 1 grade..

But he might have bought this book slabbed already.. so clearly we cannot upgrade our guess to account for the Nikos factor.

Nikos knows that..so perhaps this book really is higher then we are led to believe.

Now, a clever man would grade the slab as he sees it, because Nikos would know that only a great fool would grade a CGC book otherwise.. . We are not great fools, so we can clearly grade the book as it appears in front of us. But Nikos must have known we are not a great fools, he would have counted on it, so I can clearly not grade the book as it appears in front of me.

And since miswraps, and soiling are clearly still a grey area when it comes to guessing how CGC might downgrade for it.. it is clear that Nikos would not offer me books to grade that he knows were easy to peg.. so there is NO way I can just grade the book as I see it in front of me.. since Nikos cannot be trusted to offer slabs that are what they appear. Nor can I know for sure if Nikos bought the book slabbed, or submitted it himself, with a $100 tip.

You only think we guessed wrong !!!!!...- that's what's so funny. We switched our grades when your back was turned. Ha-ha, you fool. You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is "Never buy a comic book from Hammer", but only slightly less well known is this: "Never enter a grading contest held by Nikos, when *your grading reputation* is on the line.". Hahahahahah.

A HHAAHAHAAAAhhaa

croak..

Ze-

After my first year I learned not to give it what I thought the book graded, but what CGC graded the book. I also realized, Nik didn't send any old cr@p in, he had an unbelievable eye when it came to books. Yes he sent in some lower grades for the contest, but even those weren't that bad.

lol I had to read that in Vizzini's voice. Love that scene to death :applause:

I never believed in the Nik bump. I figured he had a great eye for the type of flaws that CGC were soft on, and selected books accordingly.

CONGRATS and MAJOR KUDOs to He11blazer...VICTORY is SWEET! :applause:

And CONGRATS as well to the rest of the TOP TEN...all with scores of 80 or higher!

MANY THANKS to Doc, sckao, GAC and Joey Post for a VERY MEMORABLE NIK tribute Contest! A lot of hard work and commitment that is greatly appreciated by all who participated!

This was my best finish yet (TOP 25! :acclaim: )...clawed my way back into the TOP TEN only to stumble down the home stretch...was nice to end with a fiver...

Am also proud to have tied with the best bullseye streak of 6...along with Thomas Nielson, *Bronze age fan* and canickus...special hat off to Warlordfor an 8 out of 10 bullseye run sandwiched around two -1s...

Already looking forward to next year! :headbang:

My grading contest history:

Nik's 2008/29 Grading Contest: 23rd place (my first grading contest)

2009 March Madness tournament: Final Eight

2010 March Madness tournament: Final Four - lost to etanick and missed the finals

The 2010 Nik Memorial Contest: 8th place - one behind etanick

Nick (etanick).... I shall vanquish you one day! :cry:

Just a word or two as this gets wrapped up.

Congratulations to all the members (no matter where you finished) who stepped up and embarrassed themselves participated in the contest, I hope that though it may have been frustrating at times that you enjoyed the spirit of the contest. Specific congratulations to Hellblazer for his 1st place finish! :applause:

Also I would like to note that the contest truly would not have been anyway near as successful as it was if not for the work of Jim, Shin & Joey, they really worked their butts off to make it as organized and trouble-free as possible. Major Kudos to you guys! :applause:

On that note, I look for to the follow-up auctions and anxiously await the hammer price on the Tomahawk book!

Thanks again and take care,

Andrew

PS-Ok, it was approx 120 words. Wait, do I have to count these ones as well? Then it's approx 134.

The last message I sent to Nik after the 2007/8 grading contest on 26th Jan 2008:

Thanks for running the show! It's been fun, and I think I've just about managed to avoid finishing last :wishluck:

I finished in 81st place. I was new to CGC and the boards and was amazed that somebody would go to all the trouble of running such a game purely for fun, and would let a perfect stranger - a noob at that - like me join in. Thanks Nik, that was an awesome introduction to the community.

A big final thanks also to DrWatson, sckao, GACollectibles and joeypost for continuing the tradition (and letting me win!)

My trophy is now proudly displayed on my desk at work:

trophy.jpg

:applause:

I feel it's only right to congratulate toro for placing first with an asterisk.

You see, He11blazer revealed how exactly he claimed the title in another thread on these boards.

So congratulations toro!

He accumulated 91 points without using Jedi mind tricks!

;)

Thanks again guys! Jim,Shin,Joey, and Andrew you guys are awesome! Thanks for keeping Niks memory alive, and the spirit of the CGC forums as well. The new members may not have known him, but this should give a good indication as to the type of man he was. Any of the members here will tell you how great of a guy he was, and how much he is missed.

Again, thank you. You guys are the best, and have shown the noobs what the forum is REALLY about! (worship)

Just a word or two as this gets wrapped up.

Congratulations to all the members (no matter where you finished) who stepped up and embarrassed themselves participated in the contest, I hope that though it may have been frustrating at times that you enjoyed the spirit of the contest. Specific congratulations to Hellblazer for his 1st place finish! :applause:

Also I would like to note that the contest truly would not have been anyway near as successful as it was if not for the work of Jim, Shin & Joey, they really worked their butts off to make it as organized and trouble-free as possible. Major Kudos to you guys! :applause:

On that note, I look for to the follow-up auctions and anxiously await the hammer price on the Tomahawk book!

Thanks again and take care,

Andrew

PS-Ok, it was approx 120 words. Wait, do I have to count these ones as well? Then it's approx 134.

Just to follow up on what Andrew has mentioned this was a blast in many ways. For one it made me appreciate how much time Nik put into these. We had 4 moderators replying to PM's and it was almost a full time job. I even had a few ask me if I was mad at them because my replies were brief or I posted Stewies and trainwreck pictures. I was never even mildly upset but had to keep things brief just to reply to everyone in a timely fashion.

I appreciate being able to work with Jim, Andy and Shin on this. I would also like to give major KUDOS to the entire staff at CGC who agreed to grade the books and have them done by our deadline. Thanks again.

Please remember the auction that will soon follow. Bid often since the proceeeds will go to many of the artists who drew the many funny books that kept us entertained as children and provide some of us with comfortable livings as adults.

KUDOS to the actual forum for having so many who participated and took the contest for what it was: a way to honor our friend Nik, to have some fun and hopefully we all learned something.