• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

I am reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I am over halfway through, and I am really enjoying it. Whether it is comics or novels, Gaiman is a really great writer imo. (thumbs u

American Gods is great. I read it while at Boy Scout Camp with my son, and it was fun to realize I was very near to the supposed site of one of the scenes (The World Tree).

Very very cool

Since Disney reset the Star Wars canon, I decided to start reading the novels. I finished Lords of the Sith not too long ago and I'm currently working on Tarkin.

Just finished the latest in the Pendergast series, "The Obsidian Chamber".....awesome as always. I've been wondering what to pick up next and stumbled on to an author named Jonathan Howard..... looks good.....the first one I'm trying is titled "Carter and Lovecraft" and it's about a private investigator who is associated with a book store owner who is the last living relative of HP L ovecraft ....... and a critic on the back of the book says that while most authors don't "get" Lovecraft when they give him homage, this Howard chap does..... :wishluck: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Jeez. My last post was last May. 

I'm between books right now, but the last two I read were Woody: The Biography by David Evanier (it was very good and insightful) and Savage Night by Jim Thompson (always enjoy Thompson, although reading too many consecutively can be a little routine).

20 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Jeez. My last post was last May. 

..... I know what you mean..... I keep planning to share something here and it slips my mind.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I always forget about this thread until someone bumps it.

I just finished reading the Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy by Liu Cixin - big idea sci-fi, translated from it's native Chinese. Entertaining, but it takes a while to get an ear for the prose.

I just started reading Dhalgren by Samuel Delany.

15 hours ago, Mr Sneeze said:

I've been on a Neal Stephenson kick lately. Recently finished SevenEves, Reamde and Anathem and am currently enjoying the Baroque Cycle. Good Stuff!

Just finished Snow Crash the other day. Also finishing rereading Season of the Witch: How the Occult Saved Rock and Roll

Just started Rivals of Weird Tales, a collection of stories that were not published by the flagship horror pulp. 

I'm reading Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons. It's not bad but could use a trashy sci-fi or fantasy novel recommendation.

Had my power go for about 80 hours starting last Saturday afternoon, so I got caught up on a lot of comics I've been meaning to read, but I also had a chance to go back through some philosophy books I've kept around from college.

I remember these 3 well.

Jl85lvk.jpg

The Consolation of Philosophy - Which deals mostly with theodicy, but I believe is still considered Neoplatonism, by those that require labels anyway.

WntcOch.jpg

Which is shockingly more pertinent now than when I first read it 15 years ago. I wonder what it will be mean in another 15.

CDKneC2.jpg

I'll admit that I couldn't stomach much of this antiquated manual of destruction, but the sheer fact that it existed shows how corrupt power creates fear and targets it towards something other than themselves. "Give them an enemy that isn't me."

Replace Witch with Terrorist and this book is scary indeed.

On 9/14/2012 at 8:51 AM, delekkerste said:

Just finished reading "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline last night. For those who haven't heard of it, it takes place in the techno-dystopian future of the 2040s, where a tech mogul (think Steve Jobs merged with Gary Gygax) obsessed with late 20th century pop culture dies and sets into motion a contest to claim his real-world riches inside of the all-encompassing virtual reality world he created.

It is an amazing book, the best I have read in years. For anyone who grew up with late '70s and '80s music, movies, videogames, computers, RPGs, comics, etc., the whole book is a tribute and love note to that period of geek culture. I agree with the reviewer who said that it felt like the book was written just for me. Just a smashing success, a stunning work of fiction. This book will make an astounding film if/when it is translated to the big screen.

I demand that everyone here read it. You won't be disappointed. :makepoint:

129998.jpg.4eb21262516d2d8f74c647d704206d50.jpg

Can't wait for the film next year!!