• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Pressing ISN'T Restoration
2 2

229 posts in this topic

Do we REALLY want to bring back this 14 year old battle (and thread)?  

Although I am sure the battle is actually far greater than 14 years old (the age of this thread) and actually continues on in other threads even today.

3 hours ago, devco said:

I’m still unclear as to why clean/press is so frowned upon..

As noted above, it cannot be restoration as nothing has been added or removed,  nothing has been fixed or repaired.. simply dry cleaned and pressed.

Restoration: the action of returning something to a former owner, place, or condition

Our hobby can't detect pressing and dry cleaning with certainty, so for the restoration detection component of CGC grading it was necessary to define pressing and dry cleaning as not being restoration.  But it most assuredly fits the generally accepted definition of the term outside of the hobby. 

I agree that these debates have run their course.  Those of us with strong feelings one way or the other regarding pressing can make our own decisions independently on how its rampant presence in the hobby changes our approach to collecting.

Edited by namisgr

1 hour ago, mrc said:

.....so, if you saw 2 identical books for sale, same grade, same eye appeal, same price, but one was pressed and the other not pressed (with disclosure), which book would be more desirable to a collector?

The unpressed. Then, of course, get it pressed for a grade bump.

16 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Restoration: the action of returning something to a former owner, place, or condition

Our hobby can't detect pressing and dry cleaning with certainty, so for the restoration detection component of CGC grading it was necessary to define pressing and dry cleaning as not being restoration.  But it most assuredly fits the generally accepted definition of the term outside of the hobby. 

I agree that these debates have run their course.  Those of us with strong feelings one way or the other regarding pressing can make our own decisions independently on how its rampant presence in the hobby changes our approach to collecting.

I agree that the fundamental pressing debate has run its course. However I feel that the relatively recent exponential increase in the quantity of books being pressed and any unknown long term affects as a consequence will ensure the debate continues into the future. 

I'm not that hung up on if the graded book was pressed or not but...

The statement of "If you don't add or subtract something" from the book it is not restoration and pressing is not restoration seems to me......

.....The non-color breaking crease "was" there before you pressed and now it is not ("You just subtracted something - the non-color breaking crease) when you pressed the book.  I guess I'm just too dense and my statement is just too simple...(shrug)

Why the hell are you bumping a thread that ended 14 years ago?

10 hours ago, devco said:

I’m still unclear as to why clean/press is so frowned upon..

It's not. Pressing is now ubiquitous.

10 hours ago, devco said:

As noted above, it cannot be restoration as nothing has been added or removed,  nothing has been fixed or repaired.. simply dry cleaned and pressed.

Yeah, dents and bends disappearing is just magic, not fixing. :screwy:

11 hours ago, mrc said:

.....so, if you saw 2 identical books for sale, same grade, same eye appeal, same price, but one was pressed and the other not pressed (with disclosure), which book would be more desirable to a collector?

If they were both in a slab & had a blue label it wouldn't matter. If raw then the non pressed

22 hours ago, Gaard said:

Restoration is treatment intended to return a comic book to a known or assumed state by adding non-original material.

Restoration is restoring a book towards an ideal pristine state. Whether parts were added, subtracted or manipulated, those are all restorative efforts.

In my opinion there are two legitimate issues with pressing:

1. The potential for unforeseen consequences to the act of pressing (I think none but only time will tell, and I'm not taking into account bad press jobs)

2. A sort of loss of virginity in terms of a comic existing in its natural, unmanipulated state

Edited by mackenzie999
clarity