• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24)
9 9

1,479 posts in this topic

The awesome thing about that copy is that other than the cleaning, there's no resto to the front cover, no color touch, no pieces added. More work could have been done to the back cover, but I wanted to keep the resto slight, as I thought that would increase the bidding. In hindsight, a higher grade with a mod designation probably would have brought a better result.

$6200 was a heck of a bargain. I'm glad it went to a good home. If I hadn't had a Supes #1 to pay off, I would have kept it.

The awesome thing about that copy is that other than the cleaning, there's no resto to the front cover, no color touch, no pieces added.

Jeff;

With respect to the front cover cleaning, I assume this must have been the "wet" cleaning process as opposed to the dry cleaning process since it got the resto comments for the cleaning? Since the front cover was most likely "wet" cleaned, does it feel stiffer than what an uncleaned or dry clean cover would feel like, or does it still feel the same?

I used to have several books from Mark Wilson way back in the old days and I always assumed the ones with the stiffer covers were cleaned while I was never ever sure about the ones that felt "normal". Was it just a bad cleaning job on his part because I was told that Mark would always clean every single one of his books no matter how nice they were, as he was virtually OCD about his books?

Yes the grade is accurate. The front and interior is 9.0 and above unrestored. How it ever lost just the back cover and nothing else was damaged is wierd. All of the problems is that a low quality back cover was used for the marriage. Of course 9.0 back covers would be in high demand. The back cover is like one of our esteemed board members like Gator or Bob getting married to a high school drop out on drugs.

I have shown the book to a couple of people and they think if I am willing to go Mp that it would get a 8.0+ grade. For now I will be happy looking at my 9.0+ front cover and enjoying the book. I took a gamble buying it and it paid off from my perspective.

The awesome thing about that copy is that other than the cleaning, there's no resto to the front cover, no color touch, no pieces added.

Jeff;

With respect to the front cover cleaning, I assume this must have been the "wet" cleaning process as opposed to the dry cleaning process since it got the resto comments for the cleaning? Since the front cover was most likely "wet" cleaned, does it feel stiffer than what an uncleaned or dry clean cover would feel like, or does it still feel the same?

I used to have several books from Mark Wilson way back in the old days and I always assumed the ones with the stiffer covers were cleaned while I was never ever sure about the ones that felt "normal". Was it just a bad cleaning job on his part because I was told that Mark would always clean every single one of his books no matter how nice they were, as he was virtually OCD about his books?

The Action #13 went straight from Matt to CGC, so I never held it raw. But, I have held other books that had been cleaned, and could not feel any discernable difference. I once bought a high grade Exciting #39 from Metro that came back from CGC with a cleaned cover notation. Vinny and I were both very surprised. Same story with a Superman #17 that I bought from Greg White.

Yes the grade is accurate. The front and interior is 9.0 and above unrestored. How it ever lost just the back cover and nothing else was damaged is wierd. All of the problems is that a low quality back cover was used for the marriage. Of course 9.0 back covers would be in high demand. It would be like one of our esteemed board members like Gator or Bob getting married to a high school drop out on drugs.

I have shown the book to a couple of people and they think if I am willing to go Mp that it would get a 8.0+ grade. For now I will be happy looking at my 9.0+ front cover and enjoying the book. I took a gamble buying it and it paid off from my perspective.

I almost bought a More Fun #44 CGC 9.2 to use the back cover for the Action #13, but I couldn't bring myself to destroy such a cool book!

Yes the grade is accurate. The front and interior is 9.0 and above unrestored. How it ever lost just the back cover and nothing else was damaged is wierd. All of the problems is that a low quality back cover was used for the marriage. Of course 9.0 back covers would be in high demand. It would be like one of our esteemed board members like Gator or Bob getting married to a high school drop out on drugs.

It is a beautiful book and the spine looks terrific from the front! :)

Mike, that's fantastic! :applause:

I took a shot at it myself in the HA auction and came out the underbidder, but I'm really glad you ended up with it. And if you were going to relax your grade standards a bit, this was the book to do it for. Monster eye appeal for a 1.5!

Mike, that's fantastic! :applause:

I took a shot at it myself in the HA auction and came out the underbidder, but I'm really glad you ended up with it. And if you were going to relax your grade standards a bit, this was the book to do it for. Monster eye appeal for a 1.5!

Yeah, sorry we drove the price up on you Mike. Definitely a good exception to your 4.0 rule!