• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Value of a 12 Cent Comic Book in Today's Dollars

91 posts in this topic

I always donate well I used to when I had an entire room of comic books I had no use for..I bought so many collections so cheaply..I always had lots of extra around..I would wait and do an Angel tree or adopt a family with boys who wanted comic books or liked Super Heros.

Some years when they are low on donations (usually because some disaster has happened and donations are down locally because people are sending money to Haiti or whatever) My husband and I would just take a large list off their hands and give comic books, action figures, starting lineups,sports cards,comic cards etc

We'd wrap them up and send them. I figure it freed up space taken up by "stuff" and encouraged kids to get into comics and such.

I was just doing a comparison. If someone can correct me on these numbers please do so.

My Archies from 1968 have about 32 story pages and cost 12 cents.

My Superman 706 from 2010 has 20 story pages and costs $2.99 .

I don't have a recent Marvel, I'm going to guess that modern Marvels are similar in page count to DC.

According to inflation calculator there has been 535% inflation since 1968. So a $0.12 comic should now cost $0.76 if it were offering the same value.

I think that this estimate might be a bit low. flashback to 1968 shows prices in 1968.

Median household income 1968 $7.7k, 2009 $49.7k, thats 6.45X or +545%. A first class stamp has gone from $0.06 to $0.42 which is 7X or +600%. Still, even figuring 600% inflation would still put the fair price of a modern comic at $0.84.

A lot of reasons have been given for why comic readership is down, but one of them is pretty obvious, they are too expensive! We bought them and read them as children because they were a good value.

Of course, if the price tag of moderns wasn't bad enough, back in the 60s, for your 12 or 15 cents, you got a complete story. Now you get a part of a story. It's hard to imagine a kid that would pay $3 or $4 for that.

I could write more, but I'll keep this first post short and to the point.

they jiggied how inflation is calculated like 20 years ago, so the numbers since then have been low for the most part. the government did it so as to reduce COLA increases in various entitlements and what not and didn't want as much inflation hysteria.

look up "shadow inflation" or shadowstats or something like that, which I believe attempts to calculate inflation for the last 20 or whatever years the "old" way. now i think the shadow inflation guy may overstate things, but it will be a higher number.

the shadowstats guy is also a bit hysterical about economic collapse and what not.

of course, hyperinflation would not be so bad for folks paying off fixed rate mortgages, so it would never be "allowed" to happen.

The hyper-inflation of comics prices over the years is interesting, but even if comics were only 25-cents a pop again (not likely), kids still wouldn't want them as they currently exist and as they're currently distributed and marketed: it's not about price -- it's about content. And today's uniformly dingy colors, ugly artwork, and boring, overly-complex stories (written mostly for adults) are almost inherently unappealing to anyone but long-term addicts down at the kid-bereft LCS.

My wife is a public children's librarian, and is routinely asked by young kids and their parents for "superhero" books starring Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man. Up until a few months ago, almost all she had to offer kids in that key age bracket--ages 6-9 or so--was a very limited selection of modern Marvel and DC trade paperbacks featuring those signature characters.

And nobody wanted them. Not the kids, not the parents -- nobody. So late last year she petitioned the collection development people to order a bunch of "young readers" style superhero "chapter" books, like these:

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?WRD=batman+young+readers&box=batman%20young%20readers&pos=-1&ugrp=2

The first few batches came in to my wife's branch last month, and the librarians can't keep them on the shelves. They're a true sensation.

Kids LOVE these characters and WANT to read about them. But despite some valiant efforts by comics publishers to develop their young readers' lines of actual comic books, it just ain't working, for whatever reasons. These sorts of books, however, are clearly doing something right. Not sure how well they're selling as opposed to circulating (for free) at the library, but it's not hard to imagine parents seeing a better value in an age-appropriate superhero chapter book at $3-$4 as opposed to similarly priced fugly, confusing new comics. I know which one I'd rather spring for!

Good post, mikey (thumbs u

My issue has always been at the corporate level. If it ain't working, try something different. Archie has deals with Dark Horse and IDW to reprint its old stories. The publishers can work together - Marvel should explore a deal with Archie to get digests of their material out.

A well run business ought to be able to connect interest and sales.

The hyper-inflation of comics prices over the years is interesting, but even if comics were only 25-cents a pop again (not likely), kids still wouldn't want them as they currently exist and as they're currently distributed and marketed: it's not about price -- it's about content. And today's uniformly dingy colors, ugly artwork, and boring, overly-complex stories (written mostly for adults) are almost inherently unappealing to anyone but long-term addicts down at the kid-bereft LCS.

My wife is a public children's librarian, and is routinely asked by young kids and their parents for "superhero" books starring Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man. Up until a few months ago, almost all she had to offer kids in that key age bracket--ages 6-9 or so--was a very limited selection of modern Marvel and DC trade paperbacks featuring those signature characters.

And nobody wanted them. Not the kids, not the parents -- nobody. So late last year she petitioned the collection development people to order a bunch of "young readers" style superhero "chapter" books, like these:

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?WRD=batman+young+readers&box=batman%20young%20readers&pos=-1&ugrp=2

The first few batches came in to my wife's branch last month, and the librarians can't keep them on the shelves. They're a true sensation.

Kids LOVE these characters and WANT to read about them. But despite some valiant efforts by comics publishers to develop their young readers' lines of actual comic books, it just ain't working, for whatever reasons. These sorts of books, however, are clearly doing something right. Not sure how well they're selling as opposed to circulating (for free) at the library, but it's not hard to imagine parents seeing a better value in an age-appropriate superhero chapter book at $3-$4 as opposed to similarly priced fugly, confusing new comics. I know which one I'd rather spring for!

My issue has always been at the corporate level. If it ain't working, try something different. Archie has deals with Dark Horse and IDW to reprint its old stories. The publishers can work together - Marvel should explore a deal with Archie to get digests of their material out.

I love this idea! The Archie double digest of 160-pages @$3.99 in a supermarket seems like a really good product. It seems like Archie has figured out the printing and distribution. If Marvel could get their content in this format (reprints, I'm thinking) it seems like it could be a winner.

Doesn't Marvel have a Spider-man and Friends title for kids?

When we donated a bunch of books to the Christmas Angel Tree (we adopted 150 or so boys and then decided to branch out and collect other things to donate for girls and tweens in all an entire truckload of toys but a LOT of comics 9 long boxes worth) We chose family friendly books richie rich, archies, spidey youth titles etc for the girls we added Barbie and Supergirl etc..we wrapped 6 comics to a package.

The fox4 people said the comics were devoured. The kids loved them. We felt great that not only were we donating Happy Holiday presents to the children who may not have gotten them we gave them reading material that they could actually enjoy.

BUT these comics, the kids who got them could probably not afford to go out and buy a new comic off the shelf..and that is sad.

This is a great story. I remember how much I loved comics growing up. I could hardly think of anything I enjoyed more than reading a comic book. I guess kids don't really change in spite of all the other forms of entertainment out there.

And this is another reason I see paper comics going into oblivion. It costs way too much to buy a paper comic anymore, and with ZERO content. A few panels of art is BS! So online we go. Consumer pays a monthly charge to get their stuff online and bingo. Ephemera is going the way of the dinosaur.

I love this idea! The Archie double digest of 160-pages @$3.99 in a supermarket seems like a really good product. It seems like Archie has figured out the printing and distribution. If Marvel could get their content in this format (reprints, I'm thinking) it seems like it could be a winner.

Doesn't Marvel have a Spider-man and Friends title for kids?

It would have to be reprints. That would keep the cost down - no new work to be commissioned/paid for.

Marvel has young readers' titles now. The problem: no young readers see them. 40 year old comic shop denizens do. We need to connect the young readers to the material.

Here's another idea: free comics given out at super-hero movie releases, a la FCBD. Put a comic book store directory in the back.

if marvel or DC could sell $4 reprint digests at a six figure clip 10 times a year you'd think they'd give it a shot --- obviously it is profitable enough for the Archie folks (are they even all reprints still?)..but that would require some creativity and an acknowledgment that a 21 page reprint comic ain't worth $2.99.

if marvel or DC could sell $4 reprint digests at a six figure clip 10 times a year you'd think they'd give it a shot --- obviously it is profitable enough for the Archie folks (are they even all reprints still?)..but that would require some creativity and an acknowledgment that a 21 page reprint comic ain't worth $2.99.

To me the goal would be placement at the Wal-Mart checkouts etc... Make sure the cover has a big, colorful Spidey (or whichever character) image to grab attention, and not the current muddy, bland cover palettes.

What about on the toy aisle? I remember floppies being on endcaps on the toy aisle when I was a kid. The digests I don't really see anymore. Now that TV Guide isn't there seems they just removed the little digest rack altogether at the places I shop. Bottom row on the magazine rack always has kids stuff though.

To me the goal would be placement at the Wal-Mart checkouts etc... Make sure the cover has a big, colorful Spidey (or whichever character) image to grab attention, and not the current muddy, bland cover palettes.

I agree. Wal-Mart would be a great place to sell books. Lots of young people there. Supermarkets are also good.

I'm not a marketing expert, but I think that it doesn't take a genius to figure out that what is needed is

1. Content appropriate for young readers

2. A product that is a good value ($3.99 digest)

3. Placing the product where the most customers will see it. Wal-Mart, Target, Super-markets at the check-out. "Can I have this, Mom?"

I think it's time to write a letter to Marvel's editor in chief.

this isn't even an editorial decision. marvel has a stockpile of about 25 years worth of kid appropriate stuff they can stick in reprint digests until comics turned dark and grittier in the lateish 80's. they could have a high school intern make those editorial decisions. heck, they could license the whole thing to a company willing to put in the legwork to get these in the appropriate venues. it's all right there. and it's not like they're making money on much of this material right now as nobody is going to buy a reprint TPB of Marvel Team-Ups from 1978...yet those could be good reading for an 8 year old (scattered in with other stuff)

sure, some of the 60's stuff might be too juvenile for today's juvenile's, but i don't think the 70's - mid 80's stuff is

If it's still Quesada he already said he doesn't care. I think he actually said it would be stupid to market comics to kids.

Hopefully Marvel will be acquired by a company that feels that marketing cartoon characters to kids IS appropriate... :wishluck:

this isn't even an editorial decision. marvel has a stockpile of about 25 years worth of kid appropriate stuff they can stick in reprint digests until comics turned dark and grittier in the lateish 80's. they could have a high school intern make those editorial decisions. heck, they could license the whole thing to a company willing to put in the legwork to get these in the appropriate venues. it's all right there. and it's not like they're making money on much of this material right now as nobody is going to buy a reprint TPB of Marvel Team-Ups from 1978...yet those could be good reading for an 8 year old (scattered in with other stuff)

sure, some of the 60's stuff might be too juvenile for today's juvenile's, but i don't think the 70's - mid 80's stuff is

Correct. It's a decision that would occur at the corporate management level.

If you want it placed at Wal-Marts, you'll have to start getting the comics printed in China.

I don't know why Walmart doesn't just make their store employees work the sweatshops. Save on shipping (shrug)