• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you store your slabs?

36 posts in this topic

Title says it all; sorry if this is a newbie question. I tried searching and only get threads about hitting the jackpot bidding on storage units. I'm putting it here because I saw the other threads on storing bagged & boarded comics here.

Can anyone share how they keep their books? Binder? Boxes? Any kind/brand in particular?

Thanks!

I'm guessing you mean once you get your slabs does a person display it or store it in a box and if in a box what kind of box? They have "comic boxes" specifically for CGC slabbed books. There are a ton of dealers on here that could probably set you up with anything you need regarding exactly that. Go to the CGC forum, scroll down to the bottom where the for sale area is and you more than likely find a supply thread going on somewhere in there. I've only been at this a few months and have maybe 15 slabbed books so not even a full box yet but I just keep them in that CGC sized box with my other comic boxes.

I'm guessing you mean once you get your slabs does a person display it or store it in a box and if in a box what kind of box? They have "comic boxes" specifically for CGC slabbed books. There are a ton of dealers on here that could probably set you up with anything you need regarding exactly that. Go to the CGC forum, scroll down to the bottom where the for sale area is and you more than likely find a supply thread going on somewhere in there. I've only been at this a few months and have maybe 15 slabbed books so not even a full box yet but I just keep them in that CGC sized box with my other comic boxes.

Thanks...I did a search on ebay and found some boxes for sale. I could've sworn I tried that and found nothing - guess I did something wrong.

I'm just starting out myself and have about 15. Right now I have them all stacked in a box that one of them came in, but I wanted to get something that had them at least standing upright.

I was also wondering if anyone had something to display them in like binders, but that might not be the best because binders aren't exactly sturdy. I wish I could display at least some of them in my house, but having a 2 and a 4 year old makes that a little risky lol. I had thought about getting a frame for one or two, but then I realized what can happen if something flew into it...

I keep about half of mine in CGC boxes and the other half on my book shelf in my den. Each shelf holds about 70 slabs so between the 3 shelfs, i can keep most of my slabs out that i like to look at without having to dig them out of the boxes.

I take it that the CGC storage box implies storing slabs straight up vs flat?

Yeah, in the box they are straight up although you could lay them flat. It just wouldnt hold as many and it would be a pain the getting them out i think.

I always read people saying to store them this way or that but imo, i really dont see how it matters if they are flat, standing, sideways, whatever. In my bookshelf, i keep them on their side so that they stack nicely and i can see the top label so its easy to get to whichever i want to find. As ive gotten more and more slabs, ive tried to find an easy way to have access to most of them and this works best for me.

IMG_0322.jpg

That's actually very cool!

Thank you!

The top shelf is my Avengers run, the bottom is my Xmen and the middle is everything else. The ones I don't usually look at are in CGC boxes with my other raws.

It actually works pretty well. I'm sure someone will say its not good to store them that way but it hasn't seemed to affect them. The only problem is if I buy like 10 new ones at once, it Kind of a pain in the butt to rearrange them.

Yeah, in the box they are straight up although you could lay them flat. It just wouldnt hold as many and it would be a pain the getting them out i think.

I always read people saying to store them this way or that but imo, i really dont see how it matters if they are flat, standing, sideways, whatever. In my bookshelf, i keep them on their side so that they stack nicely and i can see the top label so its easy to get to whichever i want to find. As ive gotten more and more slabs, ive tried to find an easy way to have access to most of them and this works best for me.

IMG_0322.jpg

AWESOME!!!! (worship)

IMG_0322.jpg

I store mine the same way. If you store them upright in the boxes, gravity has a way of forcing the book down into the inner well. I have seen some damage done to books this way over extended periods of time.

IMG_0322.jpg

I take these are spine up? :busy:

IMG_0322.jpg

I take these are spine up? :busy:

I store mine spine down.

No need to do a search for CGC boxes or other supplies. Hotflips (Jeff) is great to deal with. A search might bring you to Comicsupply, who is currently on the probation list (hall of shame).

They also make Mylite2 legal size protectors that fit over the slab. They prevent scratches to the slab and your comics will display nicely with this product.

I would be worried about spine up and the pressure on the cover at the staples, but i am not really sure why. I have no idea what physical properties would actually be at play. I used to have mine stored flat in big stacks, but bit the bullet on CGC boxes last year. Now it is really hard to find anything. :ohnoez:

I would be worried about spine up and the pressure on the cover at the staples, but i am not really sure why. I have no idea what physical properties would actually be at play. I used to have mine stored flat in big stacks, but bit the bullet on CGC boxes last year. Now it is really hard to find anything. :ohnoez:

I'm guessing it would be better to have the spine on the bottom because it would be better suited to having the weight of the book settling on it. If you do it the other way you have the weight coming down on the outer edges of the book, which are more delicate and more susceptible to bending if they aren't completely lined up.

Anything bad that can happen by having them stacked up laying flat?

No need to do a search for CGC boxes or other supplies. Hotflips (Jeff) is great to deal with. A search might bring you to Comicsupply, who is currently on the probation list (hall of shame).

They also make Mylite2 legal size protectors that fit over the slab. They prevent scratches to the slab and your comics will display nicely with this product.

Luckily, my LCS sells the CGC boxes so i never have to order them. Also, if your LCS sells GA or magazine sized boxes you could use those. I've never tried it but id guess those would fit CGC slabs pretty well.

Title says it all; sorry if this is a newbie question. I tried searching and only get threads about hitting the jackpot bidding on storage units. I'm putting it here because I saw the other threads on storing bagged & boarded comics here.

Can anyone share how they keep their books? Binder? Boxes? Any kind/brand in particular?

Thanks!

I drive to HOTFLIPS warehouse on Long Island and go.........I need CGC boxes brotha!