• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Your Gaines File Copies

178 posts in this topic

For those keeping score at home, I have, very carefully, read this particular copy.

Disclosure :cloud9:

For those keeping score at home, I have, very carefully, read this particular copy.

I just like the fact that he read it. I've been too afraid to read mine but I feel a little emboldened now. I think I'm going to read that Frontline Combat 8... very carefully. :cloud9:

I just like the fact that he read it. I've been too afraid to read mine but I feel a little emboldened now. I think I'm going to read that Frontline Combat 8... very carefully. :cloud9:

To be fair, I can understand folks being a bit paranoid about reading a 9.8 copy of flimsy 50s book. The big GA books are much easier to handle.

I place the book inside a sales brochure so that I'm not touching the cover while I read it and I hold it so that I do not open the book all the way, minimizing the risk of any type of spine damage.

I was listening to a Barry Manilow song while I did so but you're not going to see me admit that in public. I have my limits. :sumo:

I was listening to a Barry Manilow song while I did so but you're not going to see me admit that in public. I have my limits. :sumo:

lol

Thanks Adam. I had to pick up a raw GFC of HOF #28 (VF/NM to NM-) thanks to you. Not an easy one to find. While I've gently touched the edges, I won't open it until I have a pair of gloves to wear. It is sooooo news stand fresh. Just incredible! Thanks for pushing me to get outside the "plastic" envelope on these. Now, that doesn't mean I'll be cracking any other GFC slabs soon.

HOF28NM-FC.jpg

Edited by Hank Pym

Where's my commission! :cry:

That copy does a great job at presenting the beautiful color design by Marie Severin! :applause:

Thanks Adam. I had to pick up a raw GFC of HOF #28 (NM to NM-) thanks to you. Not an easy one to find. While I've gently touched the edges, I won't open it until I have a pair of gloves to wear. It is sooooo news stand fresh. Just incredible! Thanks for pushing me to get outside the "plastic" envelope on these. Now, that doesn't mean I'll be cracking any other GFC slabs soon.

HOF28NM-FC.jpg

WarAgainstCrime11.jpg

if this one is the #2 copy, it was mine once upon a time, and i read that bad boy.

Aiiieeee! Reading a 9.8!

It was a 9.9 before Billy got his grubby paws on it.

And I thought I was a little extreme in reading my books but there were some good comments here:

Gloves

Putting the book in a sales brochure so as not to touch the cover.

Not bending open all the way.

I already use the third technique and will try the second. As for gloves I have read archivists say the benefit outways the risk as you lose too much sense of touch and can damage books before you realize it is happening.

Great bunch of books here. Makes me drool, like the Crypt Keeper!

I don't use gloves because our resident police officer, sacentaur, taught me that you can rub the oils off of your fingertips giving you 20 seconds or so of oil-free hands to remove the comic from mylar and place it in the brochure. Once there it requires very little effort/contact to flip the pages.