• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,909 posts in this topic

Ok, I just finished reading Dracula by Bram Stoker, I hadn't read it since high school and had forgotten most of the book, quite honestly. I am not going to go into a book review here except to say that if you are into Bronze horror and haven't read the book, you need to. It's very good and is likely the best selling horror novel of all time.

What I will do here is attempt to lay out a vampire's abilities and weaknesses according to Stoker. I actually did take notes in the back of an old, water warped copy I bought for my wife when she started to get into Twilight. I took notes of chapters where I took this information, but I just want to list the information here. I will try not to give any of the plot away. Many characteristics are covered many times in the book, some maybe just once.

If you have the gumption, please add to the list or question anything you believe to be incorrect. If you have no interest in vampire lore, you could have stopped reading this post at "Ok."

Vampire Characteristics According to Stoker:

Powers, Strengths, and Abilities

Can calm horses

Light can pass through, maybe if intended

Does not need to eat or drink as a human

Can climb like a lizard on relatively flat vertical surfaces

Does have some degree of self protection while sleeping in coffin, but not much.

Wind control, control of fog, storm, and thunder

Can turn to a bat, wolf, and likely a dog, also a mist (although mist is limited)

From a solid body can pass through joints in door frame and other small gaps. In fact, a vampire can get into or out of anything, slot in door, crate, box, even of soldered)

All that die from the Undead, become undead (this can take several days)

Power of necromancy

Can control the rat, owl, bat, moth, fox and wolf.

Can grow and become small

Can "vanish and become unknown"

Cannot die from passage of time

Can appear younger when nourished

Can travel on moonlight as elemental dust ( Not a trait I ever recall about them)

Can see in the dark

Has the strength of 20 men

Can influence living humans and has a psychic bond with those that they turn.

Female vampires can appear very attractive to men

Enhanced speed and healing

Weaknesses, Vulnerabilities, and Inabilities

Canines not retractable

No reflection in mirrors (I list this as a vulnerability as it might alert someone as to who is a vampire)

Casts no shadow

Garlic, Wild Rose and Mountain Ash can be used as weapons against them

Is repulsed by the crucifix or cross (other holy symbols such as the Star of David were not covered.)

Eyes may appear as fiery red

Must rest in a box or coffin with (native?) earth. Earth can be polluted with the Host to prevent future use.

Can enter houses only when invited but freely afterward

Cannot pass door sealed with the Host

Power ceases at the coming of the day. If not at the place he is bound, he can only change form at sunrise, noon, or sunset) Most weak between noon and sunset.

Can only pass running water at the slack or the flood of the tide

Branch of the wild rose on his coffin will prevent his exit (never hear about this one much)

"A sacred bullet fired into the coffin kill him so that he be true dead." "Sacred" was not defined. This was also mentioned in "Dracula's Guest". Again, not explaining what sacred meant in relation to the bullet. Maybe blessed by a religious figure?

Cannot cross the Host wafer- when spread in a circle, for instance.

Drowning- There are two somewhat ambiguous references to this I remember in the book. The way it is described, I am going to say it is possible for a vampire to drown. I will also admit this is open for debate.

Psychic bond can be used against the vampire to track them.

Killing Of

Stake through heart, remove head, garlic in mouth, remove heart and burn if young vampire. Elder vampires will turn to dust

Oddities

Dracula himself has the mind of a child, slowly developing even after 400 years being a vampire.

Sunlight- According to Stoker, vampires are day walkers. They lose many of their powers during the day or in daylight, but are not harmed

Not Noted

Reproduction through sex, Show on film, Silver weapons or contact in general. Males stronger then females, Fire outside of burning the heart of a young freshly killed vampire

51oHgqT8qJL._AC_US160_[1].jpg

Edited by electricprune

Thanks. It's a great cover.

So tough finding these books in HG raw. I just can't fork out the extra cash for slabbed copies simply because they're encased in plastic. I've done it a couple times but I don't like it much.

33 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

I see there's a near perfect House of Mystery #209 (CGC 9.8 - White pages) on eBay right now - Wrightson at his horrifying best! Too bad it's tax time here in Canada :tonofbricks:

s-l1600.jpg

When isn't it tax time in Canada? Said lovingly. 

Edited by ThothAmon

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

When isn't it tax time in Canada? Said lovingly. 

According to the Canada Revenue Agency's windfall rules, if you win money from a lottery, you do not have to report the winnings nor pay tax on those funds. The CRA has not instituted a cap or limit on these winnings. However, if your winnings earn interest, the interest amounts will be subject to taxation.

Suck it, lovingly lol 

On April 15, 2017 at 8:48 PM, Black_Adam said:

Managed to find this on Ebay for $33 before the taxman showed up at the door.

30crcsh.jpg

Congrats on a great pickup-I've always liked this cover. I've been looking for the original art for over a decade, but the only thing I've found is this prelim:

image.jpeg

Edited by IngelsFan

2 hours ago, IngelsFan said:

Congrats on a great pickup-I've always liked this cover. I've been looking for the original art for over a decade, but the only thing I've found is this prelim:

image.jpeg

That prelim is awesome! I love Dominguez' Weird War covers, especially the ones where he uses a blood red sun to spotlight the subject of the cover (he did the same thing on Weird Western Tales - I love them too!).

@Black_Adam What I love about seeing this prelim is how Dominguez improved from the original idea. You can almost follow his thought process. The final that made the cover is much more dynamic. From the more menacing angle of the skeleton's arms, the heightened splash of the waves, the angled Nazi symbol to the hand expressions of the sailor. The sinking ship was chosen to be omitted (while it was a nice touch) as it was deemed not nessicary for the overall impact. :applause:

13 minutes ago, Jayman said:

@Black_Adam What I love about seeing this prelim is how Dominguez improved from the original idea. You can almost follow his thought process. The final that made the cover is much more dynamic. From the more menacing angle of the skeleton's arms, the heightened splash of the waves, the angled Nazi symbol to the hand expressions of the sailor. The sinking ship was chosen to be omitted (while it was a nice touch) as it was deemed not nessicary for the overall impact. :applause:

Great analysis! I hadn't even noticed the omission of the sinking ship until you mentioned it (for some reason it had never occurred to me the sailors were survivors of a shipwreck - I guess I just assumed they were out cruising around in the middle of an ocean in a lifeboat...). And you're right, on the finished cover it looks like das verdammte U-Boot is exploding to the surface from its watery grave, most likely looking for some new crew members for its doomed voyage!