• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jimmy Thompson Appreciation Thread
1 1

96 posts in this topic

Thompson was one of the earliest African-American artists working in comics and produced some particularly fine work starting in the early days of the GA. I'll start off with a book I've mentioned a couple different times but I would love to see what else others have.

RedEagle.jpg

JimmyThompsonBio2.jpg

Interior scans courtesy of buttock:

52376-FB16cf.JPG

52377-fb16int.JPG

Has a sort of Guardineer feel in the Red Eagle, then obviously influenced by Jack Cole in the Robotman. I agree Thompson should be better known, especially considering he was also a writer. Would love to see some interior pages from Feature Book 17 (Gang Busters) if possible. He did the cover so I assume he did the interior as well.

113412.jpg.a84489060c499ab2c21529232e105a3c.jpg

Has a sort of Guardineer feel in the Red Eagle, then obviously influenced by Jack Cole in the Robotman. I agree Thompson should be better known, especially considering he was also a writer. Would love to see some interior pages from Feature Book 17 (Gang Busters) if possible. He did the cover so I assume he did the interior as well.

I have always admired the work he did for Timely. Especially splashes he did for the Angel.

3511958492_ee70556bb6_z.jpg

In an age when it seems everything gets reprinted in hardbound $50 albums, it seems a horrible oversight that Thompson's Redmen hasn't received that treatment (Same story with the Brick Bradford strips that are reprinted in these issues, but that's for another thread). I was sorting through my meager collection of King Comics yesterday and took some digital pictures of the Thompson pages (sorry, no scanner at the house). #13 is the highest number issue I had without the strip, and #18 is the first I had with the strip (but obviously not the first appearance). The strip takes up the top two-thirds of the centerfold of the book, with another Thompson strip called Indian Lore on the bottom third. It has the appearance of a newspaper Sunday strip, but as far as I know they only appeared in the comic books.

King Comics #18 (September 1937)

King%25252018%252520Redmen.jpg

I like both of those pages!