• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Fantasy Fan (1933-1935) Full Run

62 posts in this topic

[...] TFF also included a letter column in the first few issues call "The Boiling Point" but it was discontinued after it devolved into an internet-style flame war between Ackerman, HPL, and CAS.

The idea of a snail mail flame war with a one month turnaround for each letter says something about the psychology of collectors. Good thing they stopped that column before it got out of hand.

[...] TFF also included a letter column in the first few issues call "The Boiling Point" but it was discontinued after it devolved into an internet-style flame war between Ackerman, HPL, and CAS.

The idea of a snail mail flame war with a one month turnaround for each letter says something about the psychology of collectors. Good thing they stopped that column before it got out of hand.

Ackerman was just the epitome of a troll. It was really funny to read. He was being completely obnoxious. Basically saying that "scientifiction" was a far superior genre to weird fiction and began attacking Clark Ashton Smith in particular.

wow- can you please tell us more about the figurine head ?

Sure. I'm working near Panama City, excavating a Swift Creek/Weeden Island village and mound site. The figurine came out of a feature near the midden surround the village area. It was probably an adorno on a vessel; they are very rare, especially outside of a funerary context. The mound was dug by an early archaeologist C.B. Moore about a century ago, but the village area had never been excavated until our project. Here's a better pic of the little guy:

figurinehead2.jpg

We also found some possible post holes from a structure, as well as a cache of stone tools:

toolcache.jpg

It was a really great day actually. Made all these cool finds in the morning, then I got to cruise around the base in a heliocopter in the afternoon taking aerial photos. After work I went to check out Gator's new store, then he and went out to dinner and I finished off the day with a nice rare steak. (thumbs u

heliocopter.jpg

I was fortunate enough to pick up Jeff's one dupe (issue #16), and am simply amazed with The Fantasy Fan.

I can't recall any dedicated publication - professional or amateur - that has given me such keen insight into an early fandom club like TFF has. It just oozes history.

And the line-up of top-notch personalities is simply incredible - Howard, Lovecraft, Smith, Binder, Bloch, Derleth, Schwartz, Weisinger, Ackerman, etc. All I can say is :o .

There is a Wikipedia page under "Fantasy Fan" for those interested in learning more about this wonderful and elusive fanzine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_Fan

Thanks again Jeff! :headbang:

FantasyFan016.jpg

Wow!! There cant be more than a handfull of full sets owned by collectors, if that! Well done!

Totally agree with the poster who said these went to the right collector! (thumbs u

On a side note Im guessing you guys know about the guy who recently compiled in book form all the issues recently? He Self published them in a tiny print run less than 100. He did an awesome job, and the only way a few will be able to read these in their entirety.

On a side note Im guessing you guys know about the guy who recently compiled in book form all the issues recently? He Self published them in a tiny print run less than 100. He did an awesome job, and the only way a few will be able to read these in their entirety.

Yes, I have a copy from him now in the mail - only a 100 print run, really excited to get my hands on it.

It will make for great reading I'm sure, but being a collector at heart I can't resist originals. (thumbs u

Yes, I have a copy from him now in the mail - only a 100 print run, really excited to get my hands on it.

It will make for great reading I'm sure, but being a collector at heart I can't resist originals. (thumbs u

(thumbs u

:news:

Managed to get very lucky and locate this isolated issue, and now I'm half-way home to completing the run of this ultra rare fanzine set.

I think I have accumulated a decent collection of material over the decades, but these original copies of The Fantasy Fan are some of my most appreciated collectibles!

TFFNOV34.jpg

Recently happened upon six issues of this fanzine and came across this thread in search of worth and pricing.

vol. 1 #2, 6, 8, 12

vol. 2 #2, 6.

Anyone have any current information in regards to general pricing? All the issues are relatively clean- minimal wear without creasing or tears besides the issue 8, which is split at the spine.

Thanks everyone.

Recently happened upon six issues of this fanzine and came across this thread in search of worth and pricing.

vol. 1 #2, 6, 8, 12

vol. 2 #2, 6.

Anyone have any current information in regards to general pricing? All the issues are relatively clean- minimal wear without creasing or tears besides the issue 8, which is split at the spine.

Thanks everyone.

Congrat's on the pickups of The Fantasy Fan - all those issues are rare.

I was putting a set together several years ago, but I stopped as I picked up the hardback book that reprints all issues in their entirety.

Pricing varied depending on condition and content, and I'm not current on values. I am interested in several of those, however (will PM you).

vol. 1 #2, 6, 8, 12

vol. 2 #2, 6.

Thanks everyone.

Great pick up Jamie! High grade copies of most should go for 100-150ish, midgrade - 75-100, low grade 50ish. The exceptions are the first issue that is a bit and the real key, #7 (the Gods of the North issue) which is $500 or more.

After reading this great thread, I had the good fortune to score a reprint

Fantasy%20Fan%20reprint%20set_zpswiojwasz.jpg

Frank, just curious but how are those issues identified as reprints?

That full-sized set is different than the bound reprint volume (hardback) which collects all the issues in a smaller (digest-sized) format.

After reading this great thread, I had the good fortune to score a reprint

Fantasy%20Fan%20reprint%20set_zpswiojwasz.jpg

Frank, just curious but how are those issues identified as reprints?

That full-sized set is different than the bound reprint volume (hardback) which collects all the issues in a smaller (digest-sized) format.

Yeah, I wasn't aware that Lance did an unbound version.

He also has a reprint collection of the original Marvel Tales semiprozine

Yeah, I wasn't aware that Lance did an unbound version.

Me neither - supposedly the initial print run of the hardback bound book was 100 copies, but I believe there was a second print.

On these unbound reprints, I have no idea.