• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A NEW Frazetta web site

19 posts in this topic

Fellow Frazetta enthusiasts, fans, and friends:

Well, after many, many emails exhorting me to bring back my web site, I have decided to try it again.

Here it is:

http://fritzfrazetta.blogspot.com/

It will be a gradual work-in-progress as I repopulate the essays and images. I've added a new wrinkle with some video footage never seen.

Note that the video cannot be seen on an iphone or ipad because it is flash-based. Anything else should work. I diminished the quality a bit to discourage internet thieves from stealing it and re-posting the footage.

Here we go again. If those internet cowards shut me down again, then I simply quit and admit that the possibility of a real "search for truth" in the internet is hopeless and futile.

Time will tell.....

All the best!

DAVE

Thanks for starting this up again Dave, all FF fans value your insights and your life long relationship with Frank and superb scholarship...

I really look forward to future and past essays of yours that will shed more light on the artist himself, his work, his life and his cultural impact!

Regards,

Rob

Thanks for setting this up again. It was a very informative and worthwhile site.

hey Dave,

great website, I've always enjoyed it, thank you so much for sharing. (worship)

I hope you won't mind if I make a suggestion? I know Ellie is a sore subject but I would not mention her. I think it comes through that you are bitter towards her (and while that may be 110% justified... I don't think there is anything to be gained from spreading ill will). 2c

Well i suppose we do because I sure didn't hear all these types of things stated publicly about Eliie while she was alive. Dave can do whatever he wants and I will appreciate his contributions either way but for my two cents from this and previous posts there's some bitterness and the topic is best left alone in favor of celebrating frank and his work. Your mileage may vary.

I don't have an axe to grind with Ellie. In the past I tried to present a CLEAR picture of the woman by stripping away all the myths and illusions. That will be reserved for a different time and venue. I am trying to situate the art within its historical context. Ellie is often a very negative element in all these stories. I am trying to be as true to the reality of the situation as possible. That is the responsibility of any historian. The good and the bad must be told. Let history make the final judgments. Any other approach is pure propaganda.

Take what I say at face value. It is very accurate reportage. I'm not trying to do anything else. Don't read anything into it.

Most people just don't know a tiny fraction of the "real" Frazetta story. If they did, they would be HORRIFIED beyond belief. The movie will be a blockbuster if and when someone tackles the subject-matter.

In the meantime, enjoy the art, enjoy the history, and look at it all in the spirit intended.

All the best!

DAVE

I don't have an axe to grind with Ellie. In the past I tried to present a CLEAR picture of the woman by stripping away all the myths and illusions. That will be reserved for a different time and venue. I am trying to situate the art within its historical context. Ellie is often a very negative element in all these stories. I am trying to be as true to the reality of the situation as possible. That is the responsibility of any historian. The good and the bad must be told. Let history make the final judgments. Any other approach is pure propaganda.

Take what I say at face value. It is very accurate reportage. I'm not trying to do anything else. Don't read anything into it.

Most people just don't know a tiny fraction of the "real" Frazetta story. If they did, they would be HORRIFIED beyond belief. The movie will be a blockbuster if and when someone tackles the subject-matter.

In the meantime, enjoy the art, enjoy the history, and look at it all in the spirit intended.

All the best!

DAVE

289k21u.jpg

Reminds me of the famous (UK) historical figure, Oliver Cromwell.

When he was having his portrait painted, he instructed the artist to paint him, 'Warts and all' (Cromwell's face was disfigured by ugly-looking warts, clearly noticeable).

Do people want to read a romanticized version of Frank's life, or do they want an accurate portrayal?

Speaking personally, I prefer facts over glossy fiction.

Tell it like it is, not what people want to hear, Doc Dave . . .

Well said Terry--

And who wants or believes an airbrushed version of the truth, anyway?

R

Thanks, Rob.

Interestingly . . . three of my my all-time-favorite artists are named Frank.

Frank Hampson

Frank Bellamy

Frank Frazetta

At leat two of those artists shared great personal tragedy . . .

Life's like that . . . not everything has a happy ending.