• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best John Byrne Covers?

67 posts in this topic

Like a lot of the folks on the boards, the Claremont/Byrne X-Men was a big part of my early comic reading days. I loved that run (and still do). But for me, it was a bit of a bummer that Byrne didn't get to draw a lot of the covers for those issues. Dave Cockrum, George Perez, and others did some nice covers, but in my opinion, they weren't as cool and stylish as the Byrne covers.

Of course, Byrne went on to a great run on the FF and did some spectacular covers there. But Byrne was incredibly prolific so I'm sure he did some great covers that I don't even remember.

So this all makes me wonder: what are some of your favorite Byrne covers? Here are some of mine:

X-Men141-98.jpg

760818.jpg

22110.jpg

Daredevil-200-475x722.jpg

Except for a few X-men issues (of which I can't think of any at this moment), I've never thought Byrne ever did any really dramatic superhero covers. I think if I had to pick a Byrne cover I really thought was impactful, I'd go further back. I've always like this one.

Doomsday-Plus-One-01-00.jpg

Except for a few X-men issues (of which I can't think of any at this moment), I've never thought Byrne ever did any really dramatic superhero covers. I think if I had to pick a Byrne cover I really thought was impactful, I'd go further back. I've always like this one.

Doomsday-Plus-One-01-00.jpg

Why are there no talking apes with machine guns on this cover? hm

Personally, I really enjoy the covers from Byrne's run on MTU. His collaboration with Layton on the MTU #72 cover is probably my favorite.

Unfortunately, I haven't got my copy scanned or I'd toss it up for the masses... ;)

Personally, I really enjoy the covers from Byrne's run on MTU. His collaboration with Layton on the MTU #72 cover is probably my favorite.

Unfortunately, I haven't got my copy scanned or I'd toss it up for the masses... ;)

Link to the original cover are here:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=745796&GSub=2884

Link to the original cover are here:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=745796&GSub=2884

Cool! :hail:

I think it may even look better in black & white...