• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age War comics
15 15

1,413 posts in this topic

Just now, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I don't know why Flickr dropped that pic...that's never happened before..

Yeah OOAW had a a couple revolutionary war covers early on in the run !!

SSWS had some of the best non WW2 covers in DC war ... i reallly liked SSWS "GLADIATOR" cover... although i forget which issue it was , single digits i think.....

14 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Yeah OOAW had a a couple revolutionary war covers early on in the run !!

SSWS had some of the best non WW2 covers in DC war ... i reallly liked SSWS "GLADIATOR" cover... although i forget which issue it was , single digits i think.....

Star Spangled War Stories #18

Another issue of "L'As": the "Airport Z" story has ended and a new story started to be serialized: it‘s Kurt Caesar's own "Romano il legionario" ("Romano the legionary") originally presented in Italy on "Il Vittorioso" in 1938.
The leading character, one of the most peculiar italian characters of the wartime period, fights in the Spanish civil war. Since France remained neutral about the conflict, the story is rewritten and the character is altered to a generic french patriotic hero, "Martial", fighting south-american opponents.

33743417515_ecb6ec369f_h.jpg

53 minutes ago, vaillant said:

Also from my collection, issue 83 of the french comics journal L'As, presenting in France "L’Aeroporto Z" ("Airport Z") by our own Federico Pedrocchi and Kurt Caesar.
Originally appeared in the italian Mickey Mouse journal "Topolino" in 1938:
http://www.lfb.it/fff/fumetto/pers/a/aeroporto-z.htm

32930148973_c2b2937264_h.jpg

I wish I paid more attention in high school French class!

The plane resembles a Heinkel He-111 to me:

he111h148bg_1.jpg

1 minute ago, 707comics said:

I wish I paid more attention in high school French class!

The plane resembles a Heinkel He-111 to me:

he111h148bg_1.jpg

It might be: I admit I am very ignorant about war machinery (although I like planes and boats and the like). :)
I have never read "Airport Z" in full, but even in this case it might be that the french adapted the artwork (more unlikely, as the story – as opposed to Romano's one – is "neutral").
Thanks for your appreciation!

This is the first page of will Sparrow as it originally appeared in "Paperino" (Donald Duck's italian's journal, created by Pedrocchi, which hosted adenture stories as well):
Sorry for the bad quality: whites had been "zeroed", it’s a found picture from the web.
DmjUvrMh.jpg

US adaptation from "Sky Blazers" (beautiful recoloring, I have to say).
The dialogue looks heavily adapted, but runs very well in english.
ppZrDXth.jpg

1 hour ago, vaillant said:

Federico Pedrocchi has been the forerunner and "grandfather" of our own italian Disney comics school. He unfortunately died in a war accident.
On the pages of one of the Disney italian journals he founded he created "Will Sparrow", an air pirate which can be considered the very first "anti-hero" in italian comics.
So far, Will Sparrow has been the only feature by Pedrocchi and Kurt Caesar from the period that has been published in USA that I am aware of. His first adventure appears – rechristened as "Sky Pirates – serialized in Sky Blazers. Here’s #2 from my collection (still missing a #1):

3wrxuYNh.jpg
TSvvXQUh.jpg

Love that cover