• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age War comics
15 15

1,407 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, BOOT said:

What is happening on this cover?

1warstories.jpg.949c93f6a78328164b0ed986f729a74f.jpg

In the US he appears to be bragging to his gal about 2 kills (but there are 8 shells, presumptively 1 in the chamber, so that's only 2/9 accuracy... not really a whole lot to brag about there buddy). 

In the UK/Australia... something altogether different.  

Take this Farrell cover for instance... he sure is getting a lot of quick words out in his final seconds because even though he has shot the enemy, 

the enemy's momentum will still most likely result in the bayonet and spike shoes finding their target...

DSCN3560.JPG

DSCN3561.JPG

Edited by 1950's war comics

On May 21, 2017 at 10:38 AM, buttock said:

In the US he appears to be bragging to his gal about 2 kills (but there are 8 shells, presumptively 1 in the chamber, so that's only 2/9 accuracy... not really a whole lot to brag about there buddy). 

In the UK/Australia... something altogether different.  

I took that as the "V" for victory.

9 hours ago, IngelsFan said:

Those are beauties-I love seeing how sharp Salidas are.

Thanks. They are tough to find. I have about 5 all bought at the same time from Metro. I don't think I've seen any for sale since. My understanding is that one collector owns most of them. About the nicest pages I've seen on a GA book.

12 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Thanks. They are tough to find. I have about 5 all bought at the same time from Metro. I don't think I've seen any for sale since. My understanding is that one collector owns most of them. About the nicest pages I've seen on a GA book.

I saw a handful of the DC Big 5 issues in the mid-90s (when the collection was discovered maybe?). My sole Salida is Fightin' Air Force 3.  Coincidentally it was the first slabbed book I ever bought as well!

Edited by IngelsFan