• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Where" are my comics, physically. by duckduckmike

5 posts in this topic

Ever wonder what your comics do at the CGC while pending a grading session?

So my big question today is not a criticism but I'm looking for information from those who know. "Where" are my comics at the CGC? I've had books sitting for a few months waiting for a grade and I'm curious as to where/how they are stored.

I'm going to be clear, I'm NOT LOOKING FOR SPECULATION. Does anyone know? Are they kept in original shipping materials? Are they in a holding bin/drawer? Is this a climate controlled area?

If your replay starts with "They probably..." NOPE. Don't want to hear speculation. I can't emphasize that enough. I'm a reasonably intelligent person and can create my own "how I'd do it" but I'd like to know who's got the facts.

See more journals by duckduckmike

If they are still using the same methods they did when I visited years ago, the books are removed from the shipping, placed into mylars, then into long box (with your invoice), and stored in a climate controlled vault until they are ready for grading.

Hope that helps. :)

I checked on their site and saw that they are transfered to mylars, but I was curious as to the when and where. So I guess with your info and their info, they push them to mylars upon receipt and then the long boxes.

I find the whole buisness model fascinating, especially since PGX does a competing product for less and faster, but CGC still holds the top dog status.

(side note which I'm sure has been discussed elsewhere, does anyone observe that PGX is more likely to hand out 9.9s?)

I miss my books. I hope they are being well tended, and fed and walked everyday.

If I remember correctly - people CLAIM to have had a few problems with PGX over the years. When deciding whether or not to even sign up for CGC and/or even buy PGX books, I was swayed by a few accounts of dissatisfied PGX customers. I am a patient guy and can wait for the books to arrive.