• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressman X-Men

86 posts in this topic

I was walking by the X-Men boxes at my LCS today when for some reason I was seized by the sudden thought that I should check to see if they have any Pressman variants.

I don't know why this thought came to me, because I don't collect X-Men or variants, and I've walked by those boxes a hundred times without stopping.

But, for some reason, I decided to stop today.

15901486433_c6ebcf8151_k.jpg

How strange is this... I just found one in the wild last night! A 297 pressman! Been looking for years.

Well, it's not in hand yet, and it is signed on the cover unfortunately , but I will be happy with it! For a few bucks, who wouldn't be.

This somewhat makes up for selling my 9.8 X-men 11 pressman double cover error 5 years ago... Somewhat.

So for those wanting a history of these since this thread is full of speculation:

All four covers came with the game originally. As far as I recall, there has NEVER been a mail away option. I know 100% for certain that #297 came in the game, because that is how I got mine.

The #297 was the rarest of the four which is why it costs so much.

There was no indication on the box as to what comic was inside. All the boxes had a picture of X-Men #11 on it.

The game was actually pretty fun to play although the pieces, while cool looking, broke very easily, pretty much all at the ankles. Except for the Professor X piece…he didn't have ankles.

All four covers came with the game originally.

There was no indication on the box as to what comic was inside. All the boxes had a picture of X-Men #11 on it.

I have never seen or have I pulled a copy of 297 from a sealed box. When the game was released in early 1992 it came with copies of 303 or 307; in late 92 they came with copies of x-men #11 V2; after the X-mas season they came with mail away coupons. Obviously your experience was different, but when hunting for 9.8 copies of #11 I cracked open 10+ games with these guidelines (sometimes I couldn't return them when they shipped the wrong one)(pictures are for reference as my extra's are in storage).

Early 1992 (no sticker):

44520126_614.jpg

X-mas 1992 (#11 Sticker):

51liMIqcPVL.jpg

1993 forward:

Grey background coupon:

mi_OGEcsSrNaIViNruOvaXQ.jpg

Black background coupon:

il_570xN.202124674.jpg

As far as I recall, there has NEVER been a mail away option.

Picture of mail away coupon on right hand side.

$_12.JPG

All four covers came with the game originally.

I have never seen or have I pulled a copy of 297 from a sealed box. When the game was released in early 1992 it came with copies of 303 or 307; in late 92 they came with copies of x-men #11 V2; after the X-mas season they came with mail away coupons. Obviously your experience was different, but when hunting for 9.8 copies of #11 I cracked open 10+ games with these guidelines (sometimes I couldn't return them when they shipped the wrong one)(pictures are for reference as my extra's are in storage).

Early 1992 (no sticker):

44520126_614.jpg

X-mas 1992 (#11 Sticker):

51liMIqcPVL.jpg

1993 forward:

Grey background coupon:

mi_OGEcsSrNaIViNruOvaXQ.jpg

Black background coupon:

il_570xN.202124674.jpg

As far as I recall, there has NEVER been a mail away option.

Picture of mail away coupon on right hand side.

$_12.JPG

The very first games came with #297. I pulled a #297 from a sealed game (the first 9.6 that made it to the census)

The very first games came with #297. I pulled a #297 from a sealed game (the first 9.6 that made it to the census)

Do you remember if it had a sticker on it or not?