• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

On 7/17/2018 at 3:05 PM, kimik said:

Cool. I was just flipping through a stack of books the other day and pulled the Bats 567s to be put in the "wait for another 5 years" boxes. lol 

Funny you should say that as I know I have a sweet copy of this issue. Unfortunately it may have been put in the back of another book's Mylar (for pretty much the same reason) and has eluded my search prowess. lol

3 hours ago, Mr. Spider-Woman said:

So it's speculation driving up the price of "Spider-Man Noir" rather than Spidey fans trying to get their hands on a limited series they missed back in 2009?

Regardless, can I ask for opinions on when the best time to sell is in a case like this with a movie announced but not coming out until December? I'm sure many of you have a lot more experience trying to time this sort of thing.

The common wisdom is "buy on the rumor, sell on the news." Generally a good play is to sell when the first trailer hits (which, granted, is usually well after the news). Makes sense, because then there's something tangible to get people excited, and trailers are designed to make a movie look as good as possible, even if it turns out to be . The only movie that comes to mind where this wasn't the best policy was Black Panther, as that movie was so good that a lot of people were looking for books after the movie was released. But generally you want to sell before.

12 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

The common wisdom is "buy on the rumor, sell on the news." Generally a good play is to sell when the first trailer hits (which, granted, is usually well after the news). Makes sense, because then there's something tangible to get people excited, and trailers are designed to make a movie look as good as possible, even if it turns out to be . The only movie that comes to mind where this wasn't the best policy was Black Panther, as that movie was so good that a lot of people were looking for books after the movie was released. But generally you want to sell before.

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye out for the trailer.

A Netflix series with Locke and Key was just announced today.  I think this is the third time it's tried to be a series, but there seems to be a lot of momentum this time.  A contract was signed for 10 episodes.  Considering the low print run of the first printing of #1, could be interesting.  

9 hours ago, Sooners151 said:

A Netflix series with Locke and Key was just announced today.  I think this is the third time it's tried to be a series, but there seems to be a lot of momentum this time.  A contract was signed for 10 episodes.  Considering the low print run of the first printing of #1, could be interesting.  

Just put 4 copies of #1 CGC 9.8 on eBay BIN. Let's see what happens...

8%zi2duWQOiFHG5N9mYRVg.jpg

Edited by Sideshow Bob

51 minutes ago, Sideshow Bob said:

Just put 4 copies of #1 CGC 9.8 on eBay BIN. Let's see what happens...

8%zi2duWQOiFHG5N9mYRVg.jpg

I’ve got 4 copies myself so my fingers are crossed you get your price.

10 minutes ago, divad said:

Why put up four copies at once??? To emphasize how common a book it is? hm

In theory, a seller could put up four copies of this book at CGC 9.9 pretty easily.  There are 33 of them (and two 10s).

3 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I've put up multiple copies at once, once the first few sell, the rest move very fast.

I like and approve of the strategy

I guess the lemming approach works with Mods. :grin:

On 7/24/2018 at 4:24 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Why?  Tec 850 was MUCH hotter in March of last year. The last one on ebay sold raw for $20. It was well over $50 last year.

Yah, Tec850 got hot when the Gotham City Sirens movie was rumored, although since it looks like it's on hiatus for awhile, as definitely cooled. As has GCS1.

This is separate from the whole question on what is 1st app GCS - there was a big thread on here last year arguing why Tec850 was not really a 1st app and was just speculators trying to push it as such. CGC label doesn't denote either. I assume if a movie were actually confirmed, CGC might eventually take a view.

2 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I've put up multiple copies at once, once the first few sell, the rest move very fast.

I like and approve of the strategy

I’m not a huge fan of it but it definetely is convenient when selling CGC 9.8s since they all look pretty much alike.  

3 hours ago, CKinTO said:

This is separate from the whole question on what is 1st app GCS - there was a big thread on here last year arguing why Tec850 was not really a 1st app and was just speculators trying to push it as such. CGC label doesn't denote either. I assume if a movie were actually confirmed, CGC might eventually take a view.

It doesn't matter if CGC takes a view.  As far as valuation goes, CGC is the tail.  The comic buying market is the dog. 

As far as a literal first appearance, they're either there or they're not.

22 hours ago, Sooners151 said:

I don't take interest in anything that has been already attempted twice. There is a reason why it hasn't been adapted. I don't think it will do well.

On 7/19/2018 at 1:17 PM, ProcessedMeatMan said:

Yeah, they had plenty when I went this morning. Got my set!

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

I don't get the price on the Thor God of Thunder books. Noobs :preach:

They will be able to retire early when they sell them