• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Since my CGC 9.8 still has not sold for about $500 i'd say the book never really saw a true bump because of the show.  There was a small bump when the show was announced but prices dropped quickly once supply outpaced demand and nothing happened once the show came out.  Pretty much a big dud in terms of price increase in my book.

I got over $600 for my CGC 9.8 copy, so it did see a nice short term spike. Now the book sits, but for a while even raw VFs would get $150-$200 at shows.

28 minutes ago, comixry said:

$8.99 cover price? Man, I feel old when I complained as a young lad that my 80's 75 cent comics jumped to $1 in the the 90's and then just went up from there every year. But I was just happy that my $1 purchase jumped 4x to $4 or sometimes more (Batman Death in the Family storyline, anyone?). 

Everything is relative. Not every new comic has a $8.99 cover price and this one is more of a deluxe graphic novel than a comic. If you have a pull list you can save from 10% to 20% on items like this. Fortunately, I get a 20% discount at my local comic shop. So that's a $7.83 GN (including sales tax) that currently sells for $30-$35 less than a week after it was released. The relative part is people can easily pay-on a daily basis- $8.99 for a cup of coffee or for a lunch combo at a fast food place when they could as easily prepare coffee or lunch at home for much cheaper. They will never see a financial gain for those purchases. Fact of the matter is everyone spends money some how, some way. The way I justify it is I would rather spend money on collectables versus consumables. I just try to be very selective about my purchases. Not every purchase will appreciate in the same manner.

14 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:
18 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Well we still have pre-orders that are coming in. I would think the price will fall a bit again due to that
and then we will see where it stands.

I am not a supporter here. I say get in and get out. The oversize book kills it for many collectors who 
wants to store it? 

Long term it might be worth it, but not inclined to wait. 

Bought four copies for 10% off cover price. Came today. Sold all four copies on eBay for $26.99. 300% profit in four days. Oh I'm out alright.

I am not sure you got the point there. I am 100% sale right now which is what you did. 

18 hours ago, kairos70 said:

That's not too big of an obstacle. My shop had the over-sized bag & boards for 50 cents but I prefer Mylar. I placed my copy in a Super Gold comic book sized Mylar archive sleeve (#825R).

IMG_0487.jpg

Is the story any good? Wondering if I should check it out in a tpb or something down the road.

On 11/3/2020 at 12:52 PM, bb8 said:

Is the story any good? Wondering if I should check it out in a tpb or something down the road.

IMO it is. I'm not sure what to tell you if you're not a TMNT fan. Also this issue is just part one of a  two five part story.  I don't think you'll have to wait for a trade to get a copy unless that's your thing. There will be a second printing of issue #1.

Edited by kairos70

1 minute ago, kairos70 said:

IMO it is. I'm not sure what to tell you if you're not a TMNT fan. Also this issue is just part one of a two part story.  I don't think you'll have to wait for a trade to get a copy unless that's your thing. There will be a second printing.

I liked the first 20 or so issues of the original run so if it's similar (same creative team) I'd probably like it well enough. I don't keep up on newer issues though so I'll probably end up getting it in collected format in a year or so. I'll put it on my list (thumbsu

7 minutes ago, bb8 said:

I liked the first 20 or so issues of the original run so if it's similar (same creative team) I'd probably like it well enough. I don't keep up on newer issues though so I'll probably end up getting it in collected format in a year or so. I'll put it on my list (thumbsu

This is a story that Eastman & Laird put together back in 1987. Part of the pitch was only one turtle was going to be around in the future. Everyone was trying to guess who it would be. The Last Ronin answered that. 

12 hours ago, kairos70 said:

IMO it is. I'm not sure what to tell you if you're not a TMNT fan. Also this issue is just part one of a two part story.  I don't think you'll have to wait for a trade to get a copy unless that's your thing. There will be a second printing.

It's a 5 issue series. Are just parts 1 & 2 this story and the others something else?

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Last Ronin takes place in a future New York City far different from the one we know today, where a lone surviving Turtle goes on a seemingly hopeless mission to obtain justice for his fallen family and friends. An epic five-part miniseries, The Last Ronin is based on an unpublished 1987 story concept by Eastman and Laird, with -script by Waltz, layouts by Eastman, pencils and inks by Esau and Isaac Escorza, colors by Luis Antonio Delgado, letters by Shawn Lee, and edits by Bobby Curnow. Each issue is oversized at 7” x 11” and 48 pages in length.

2 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

It's a 5 issue series. Are just parts 1 & 2 this story and the others something else?

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Last Ronin takes place in a future New York City far different from the one we know today, where a lone surviving Turtle goes on a seemingly hopeless mission to obtain justice for his fallen family and friends. An epic five-part miniseries, The Last Ronin is based on an unpublished 1987 story concept by Eastman and Laird, with --script by Waltz, layouts by Eastman, pencils and inks by Esau and Isaac Escorza, colors by Luis Antonio Delgado, letters by Shawn Lee, and edits by Bobby Curnow. Each issue is oversized at 7” x 11” and 48 pages in length.

Five is correct. I was just aware it wasn't a one-shot by #2 being on my Pre-order email from my LCS. According to Eastman is may also be outside the current TMNT continuity.

Despite the darkness and death that await the turtles in “The Last Ronin,” Eastman is quick to point out that the miniseries is far from the “last” story.

“By the time you get to the end of ‘The Last Ronin’ this could be another turtle universe that we could explore and tell stories from,” Eastman said. “I look forward to finding out what that is.”

-Washington Post

22 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Since my CGC 9.8 still has not sold for about $500 i'd say the book never really saw a true bump because of the show.  There was a small bump when the show was announced but prices dropped quickly once supply outpaced demand and nothing happened once the show came out.  Pretty much a big dud in terms of price increase in my book.

I stated they saw increase from the show. I didn’t say it was a sustained increase. It was more than a small bump.  Unless tripling in price is considered a small increase?

22 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Last two sales were for $300.

Did you send your books in after the announcement? Really need to have them on hand for many of these properties when they area announced.

Edited by ygogolak

16 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Last two sales were for $300.

Did you send your books in after the announcement? Really need to have them on hand for many of these properties when they area announced.

I agree but back then I was still buying right after the initial jump (think I paid $375 for the 9.8) and thought it would be a $500 - $600 copy for awhile since the show looked good and I like the characters.  By the time I got it in hand and put it up on E-Bay the initial surge was done and it was tough to get $475 for it.  I held out for a $550 sale which never came.  I probably have to just hold on to it for now and wait to break even. 

But I do stand by my comment that the show itself (fans clamoring for it after seeing the show) did basically nothing for the price of the book and it's steadily dropped in price ever since.  This could be due to Freeform not being the best channel or it could be people just did not like the show. 

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I agree but back then I was still buying right after the initial jump (think I paid $375 for the 9.8) and thought it would be a $500 - $600 copy for awhile since the show looked good and I like the characters.  By the time I got it in hand and put it up on E-Bay the initial surge was done and it was tough to get $475 for it.  I held out for a $550 sale which never came.  I probably have to just hold on to it for now and wait to break even. 

But I do stand by my comment that the show itself (fans clamoring for it after seeing the show) did basically nothing for the price of the book and it's steadily dropped in price ever since.  This could be due to Freeform not being the best channel or it could be people just did not like the show. 

Freeform and SyFy has not been good for comic values. Deadly Class was a great adaptation, IMO, but was cancelled while Umbrella Academy, released around the same time, has been a big hit on Netflix.
The crazy part is Wynonna Earp (multiple seasons on SyFy) comics sell for good money for the right ones.

Just now, ygogolak said:

Freeform and SyFy has not been good for comic values. Deadly Class was a great adaptation, IMO, but was cancelled while Umbrella Academy, released around the same time, has been a big hit on Netflix.
The crazy part is Wynonna Earp (multiple seasons on SyFy) comics sell for good money for the right ones.

They made Wynonna Earp comics?

18 hours ago, kairos70 said:

More than 2 parts.  This is a 5 issue run.

Being someone that did not read TMNT at all, I highly enjoyed it.  But then they were a huge part of my childhood from cartoons to video games to movies (although terribad).