• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, cbmitch said:

Agreed on UF4.  But I believe the scarcity is driving this book.  2446 9.8's on the regular version of UF4.  Even the 1:25 has 157 9.8's.  MP#95 has 6.  I'm not arguing first appearance, what count's, whom is right or wrong, etc.  Just there is definitely a market for this book...

There were over 4000 copies of UF4 on the Census when the first MP95 was submitted. That definitely proves something...

16 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

lol

Peter Parker is Spider-Man and has been around for almost 60 years. Miles Morales is a cheap derivative that hasn't been around for even a decade.

Marvel Previews #95 is a piece of advertising junk that has been pumped by cheap hucksters.

Call it what you want cheap or not Miles is massively popular and he is riding that Deadpool wave from several years ago.  I personally love the character even if he didn't wear the same costume briefly or have the same name.  He has staying power and will be around for a long long time.   There are a million versions of Spider-Man, male and female and the same goes for Hulk and Wolverine and Flash but Miles catches the most hell out of all of them.  I wonder 🤔 why.  hm

6 hours ago, kimik said:
7 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

It was overkill. While the movie might be fantastic, if you aren't buying these for 50% off the cover they will be in a few weeks anyway.
Massive print run.

I don't know re: massive print run. Talking with three LCS owners this weekend, they do not have any demand for the book so they are not ordering big on it. One of them has someone interested in the 1:50 BossLogic, but since they are not willing to cover the cost of ordering 50 copies to get it, and he figures he would not be able to sell more than 20 copies, he is only going to order to fill file requests with a couple of covers for the shelf. The other stores I talked to will hit the 1:50 mark, but nothing higher. For them, they were able to pre-sell the 1:50 at a high enough price to cover the cost so they are fine on unsold copies.

Yes thats the normal route sell the variant and then push out the raw copies cheap and recoup cash. 
I think they should have waited closer to the movie. 

My shops all order it, but only one of the 3 ordered heavy because he thinks he can push it out and win with variants. 
This book I have had more email spam then any other cover I have seen in awhile. Its a flaming disaster in the making I think.

5 hours ago, cbmitch said:
5 hours ago, littledoom said:

most expensive modern grail? Possibly.. Miles might be the biggest character since the Bronze Age

I would not bet against this book and I believe many will regret not picking it up...

I this is a potential book you can take a bath on. If the market swings away from 1st app like this. All it takes is for 
new collectors to leave because older collectors don't sink money in this junk. Then you are :censored:

Edited by fastballspecial

3 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Correct Spider-man is far more popular than Spawn.

Miles morales as a comic book character more popular than Spawn? that's debatable.

I put Miles in the Harley Quinn category. More people were introduced to him outside of comics (movie and now video game), and thus the comics have gained traction.

Furthermore the popularity of the Spawn character spans 28 years. These are generational fans.

Are there some Peter Parker fans of Miles? Yes but I think you are giving Miles more credit than he's earned (yet).

Let's see where this character is after the 2nd movie. What if Spawn ever does make another movie.

Will I be saying the same thing about Malibu Sun then?

Who knows.

I agree with most of this, but lets review in 2 months after Christmas. Miles is going nowhere and the PS5 is going to 
help immensely. No one over break is going to be talking about Spawn, but I bet Miles will get alot of chatter from PS5 
players which will spend money later in life chasing his books. 

Now this may all be short term, but I think he is heading the right way. Where is the Spawn movie?

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Now this may all be short term, but I think he is heading the right way. Where is the Spawn movie?

Short term Miles is the winner. I’ll be curious what Sony/Marvel can do in the next 10 years

4 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

I think Venom is bigger.

Just now, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I think Deadpool is bigger than Venom. Miles might eventually take the mantle, but I don't think he's there yet.

I was getting ready to ask.  How do you think Venom?  I do agree, I think Deadpool exploded! 

2 minutes ago, carter3175 said:

I was getting ready to ask.  How do you think Venom?  I do agree, I think Deadpool exploded! 

Venom has spawned numerous titles, led to a whole mythos around his origin, and had a movie titled after himself in spite of ostensibly or historically being a villain. Miles is another to take the Spider-Man mantle like Spider-Woman or Spider-Man 2099 and was introduced among other alternate spider-men like himself, like Spider-Gwen. The new Miles Morales game is a big get, but is still riding the proper Spider-Man's coattails.

7 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

Venom has spawned numerous titles, led to a whole mythos around his origin, and had a movie titled after himself in spite of ostensibly or historically being a villain. Miles is another to take the Spider-Man mantle like Spider-Woman or Spider-Man 2099 and was introduced among other alternate spider-men like himself, like Spider-Gwen. The new Miles Morales game is a big get, but is still riding the proper Spider-Man's coattails.

Don't get me wrong I always liked Venom but I did think he started looking stupid when they kept over exaggerating his tongue hanging out all the time.  One point goes to you for sure about what spawned out of Venom/Symbiote.  We have not seen that with Miles yet and I was NOT opposed when they released Miles to change his name or appear differently.  He has time and the character is still growing.

*BTW, I beat the Miles Morales Spider-Man game just last night on PS5. I love the game!

Edited by carter3175

11 minutes ago, littledoom said:

When UF4 came out I only picked up one copy because the whole notion of another new Spider-Man was a marketing gimmick

I guess, I just want one answer as to why Miles catches holy hell.  Its funny how people pick and choose in comics.  There are like 12 Flashes in DC, too many to list Green Lanterns, tons of Robins, several Hulks, a couple of Wolverines, several Thors.  There were several Spider-Mans before Miles. I just do not get it. (shrug)

Edited by carter3175