• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:
53 minutes ago, manetteska said:
1 hour ago, gradejunky said:

I feel you.  I don't have those books myself.  I'm still kicking myself for passing on SW books at a monthly $1 book sale here in Orlando that took place at a used bookstore overstock warehouse, and run by a part-time teacher who had been a comic dealer off and on his whole life.  This place literally at it's peek had over 200,000 books to go through every month.  In particular, I remember seeing whole boxes stuffed to the gills with DH SW books, of which I just kept passing on as I figured no one was interested in, and wouldn't be for a long time, if ever.  I used that sale every month to track down stuff I could flip quickly or run fill other titles I was seeking, even though I did collect SW at the time and still do.  Hindsight is 20/20 and I could have had probably 10 shorts filled with multiples of all this SW stuff that is just going insane...live and learn.  My other huge blunder was not buying the Clone Wars #1 when it came out.  I kept my eye out on ebay for the whole run several times and just never pulled the trigger on cheap sets.  Locally, that series was a ghost.  

Similar, smaller scale story over here. There was a local guy selling an entire SW DH set — all series all issues — on CL for $2500. It sat for probably a year, even when a few issues started taking off. But I still didn’t pull the trigger as I thought of all of the long boxes of $1 (or less) books I couldn’t sell. Cut to now and it was a great deal someone got for allegedly $2000. 

It may seem like you missed out on a deal, but many of those DH books will only maintain value if Disney brings the characters into canon. There is a frenzy to get any and all 1st appearances now, but there are some characters who just won't work. It's possible you only missed out on a few-month selling window, which depending on the size of the collection, you could have been left with a lot of books you couldn't move in the window. 

Just trying to be glass half full. 

*If* I was the buyer I would definitely need to be very in-tune with what characters/books are hot and when and sell at the right time. Not enough time to grade before selling but a nice profit.

However, the collection contained Clone Wars #1, Heir #1, full SW Tales, and full KotoR; I'm pretty sure with just those books (or a subset) I would have broke even. 

18 minutes ago, gradejunky said:

I would think it might be well over 100K.  Also, there is the High Republic Adventures IDW which may be overlooked.

Early numbers that are floating are that Crossover 3 is less than 100K, and it was the top book for January. 

I think the High Republic Adventures #1 is going to have a high print run since FOC will be after any potential announcements today.

Edited by kimik

Just now, silversufer27 said:
3 hours ago, littledoom said:

star wars old republic 4 what was tame is going crazy the past handful days 

I know its the 1st darth marr but I got no idea why its selling for so much maybe because he looks like revan?

First Appearance Frenzy

6 minutes ago, silversufer27 said:
8 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

First Appearance Frenzy

I know that but from 10 dollars to 120 in one day for no reason is strange

No idea. Unless High Republic is going to do a ton of 3,000-4,000 year-old flashbacks/callbacks, I'm not sure why it should matter. 

Alot of people are going to get burned on all these Star Wars books.  First appearances in comic books for characters that didn't originate in the medium...why should a Star Wars fan care if he has the first Dark Horse comic book appearance of a character that was on screen or print years prior?  

6 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Alot of people are going to get burned on all these Star Wars books.  First appearances in comic books for characters that didn't originate in the medium...why should a Star Wars fan care if he has the first Dark Horse comic book appearance of a character that was on screen or print years prior?  

nah I dont agree with this look at ashoka and thrawn also harley quinn all of those characters were in other stuff before comics and yet their comics are still crazy expensive but yeah I think a lot of the smaller characters like darth marr banking on him isnt so smart. 

Edited by silversufer27

8 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I agree a lot will get burned, and a lot of this is silly, but SW fans are rabid - especially fans of certain characters. They will want any and everything related to a certain character. With that said, any new character or character revived from Legends will need to be done well, which is why Filoni's involvement is important.

Edited by awakeintheashes

3 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

No idea. Unless High Republic is going to do a ton of 3,000-4,000 year-old flashbacks/callbacks, I'm not sure why it should matter. 

yeah I can see the marr thing being that much if he appears in anything or has rumors but this just feels like someone trying to make the market go up on purpose I guess because most people dont even know who darth marr is if they see him they just think hes revan.

Just now, silversufer27 said:
6 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

yeah I can see the marr thing being that much if he appears in anything or has rumors but this just feels like someone trying to make the market go up on purpose I guess because most people dont even know who darth marr is if they see him they just think hes revan.

Yeah. It seems like someone is driving up the market on purpose and people are following based on limited or absent of any SW knowledge. I haven't looked to see if there are any rumors, but on its face I don't see the connection.

43 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

I agree a lot will get burned, and a lot of this is silly, but SW fans are rabid - especially fans of certain characters. They will want any and everything related to a certain character. With that said, any new character or character revived from Legends will need to be done well, which is why Filoni's involvement is important.

This is why High Republic will likely be a big win over time. 

51 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

Short term no very profitable

Long term yes especially depending when they buy.

Edited by fastballspecial

2 hours ago, manetteska said:

Similar, smaller scale story over here. There was a local guy selling an entire SW DH set — all series all issues — on CL for $2500. It sat for probably a year, even when a few issues started taking off. But I still didn’t pull the trigger as I thought of all of the long boxes of $1 (or less) books I couldn’t sell. Cut to now and it was a great deal someone got for allegedly $2000. 

dont remind me 

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:
2 hours ago, manetteska said:

dont remind me 

You are still alive!

You told me not to buy it, lol. Was $2000 the price he said?