• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,795 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, the blob said:

I dunno, you guys spend a lot of time looking into this stuff. There seem to be fewer of them on ebay, that's why I thought maybe there were fewer, but I did not spend a lot of time looking.

It's pretty much a guarantee that covers after the A, Noto, have less printed.

5 minutes ago, the blob said:

I have a bunch of #4... buying after everything had fizzled. but they were 65 cents each, so no biggie. I can add that to my collections of Skullkickers 2 and 3s, Mind the Gap, Manhattan Peroject, Mind Mgmt, Todd, Thief of Thieves, and a few others I bought for nothing knowing the title had cooled and figuring sometimes things come back. Which reminds me, i need to dig up my copies of Fear Agent 1 I bought for the same reason.

Oh man. Mind the Gap was another stinker. I've got a ton of Todds and will buy whenever I see them in the wild because you never know. Plus it was a fun read. 

30 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Creates a demand for additional printings and people who will buy all of the covers in multiples.

True enough, but with proper marketing they could have hit Three Jokers #1 levels easily in the current supercharged SW spec environment.

11 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

Oh man. Mind the Gap was another stinker. I've got a ton of Todds and will buy whenever I see them in the wild because you never know. Plus it was a fun read. 

I've got all those books that came out in that era where all those Image 1s were popping hoping for the next Walking Dead show, I sold anything (mostly) that was worth anything when it was worth something, other than a few Chews I still have, and sucked up the overorders out of the cheap boxes. I honestly think that may bounce back (and given you can't get a 9.8 for under several hundred $, I think the market is thinking the same thing ... #2 can get snagged affordably ($60 last sale) ... I remember selling a raw copy for $75! ... But Chew is different as the book went strong for years, had a legit following, etc... they just need to figure out how to make it make sense on screen.. the guy who plays Harold is the obvious choice for him, but he may be too expensive) .. It was a fun period... my wife actually didn't complain about me hitting up every local shop in the area when we were driving around because, frankly, what was going crazy on ebay was not necessarily selling out in these shops. 

12 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I blame the shops. Terrible foresight.

I agree, but I can see how stores missed it as well.

I had one store owner explain his ordering rationale on this book to me. First, SW 1s have been low sellers in the recent past so there was some hesitancy to go big based on that. Secondly, Marvel had a disclaimer added to the bottom of the Previews solicitation for retailers that this was not tied to any current projects for D+ or movies a couple or so weeks out before the FOC, which he felt would dampen demand. Then, they dropped the fugly raw Sway 1:25, and the Hans cover was revealed late. With a lack of any promotion the week leading up to FOC and no increase in requests from customers, he ordered accordingly. I am guessing a lot of store owners used this logic as well. Then Disney dropped the Acolytes show a few days after FOC and the requests flooded in. He knew before Christmas that he did not order enough to fill additional requests.

I know two stores that ordered extra - my file LCS here in Edmonton and one in Calgary. Otherwise, the other stores in both cities did not, and some were sold out a week or two before release due to file requests for copies.

Edited by kimik

7 minutes ago, kimik said:

True enough, but with proper marketing they could have hit Three Jokers #1 levels easily in the current supercharged SW spec environment.

Does Marvel care if thy wind up selling their 300-400k total copies through second and third prints and what not? With new covers the stigma of later printings has now been greatly diminished. (OK, yes, it's cheaper to do it up front with a big print run). But, honestly, do you think another 25K copies of each cover wouldn't be pushing down back issue prices? I understand star wars is a whole different dynamic, but OTOH, once they're outside of their initial few issues, it's not like all these star wars fans are buying tons of comics. sales numbers have been pretty ho-hum. batman three jokers sold a ton and all the regular issues are now pretty worthless.

2 minutes ago, kimik said:

I agree, but I can see how stores missed it as well.

I had one store owner explain his ordering rationale on this book to me. First, SW 1s have been low sellers in the recent past so there was some hesitancy to go big based on that. Secondly, Marvel had a disclaimer added to the bottom of the Previews solicitation for retailers that this was not tied to any current projects for D+ or movies a couple or so weeks out before the FOC, which he felt would dampen demand. Then, they dropped the fugly raw Sway 1:25, and the Hans cover was revealed late. With a lack of any promotion the week leading up to FOC and no increase in requests from customers, he ordered accordingly. I am guessing a lot of store owners used this logic as well. Then Disney dropped the Acolytes show a few days later and the calls flooded in, but a few days after FOC.

I know two stores that ordered extra - my file LCS here in Edmonton and one in Calgary. Otherwise, the other stores in both cities did not, and some were sold out a week or two before release due to file requests for copies.

WTF, why would they even put that? Rumors started the second week of Dec. for the animated show.

2 minutes ago, kimik said:

so marvel accidentally created some hype through perceived scarcity

1 minute ago, the blob said:

so marvel accidentally created some hype through perceived scarcity

Yes, it was an "accident". Also "accidentally" let them add the character 1st appearance to the cover. Their tactic couldn't be more transparent.

52 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

After seeing the distribution of SWHR #1 and the variants so readily available, I think the real money will be in Star Wars Insider 199 variant in 9.8.  Will have very small numbers in 9.8 with the way those books handle.

Huh? Are you seeing them readily available online or in shops?

Just now, ygogolak said:

WTF, why would they even put that? Rumors started the second week of Dec. for the animated show.

yeah, but when might this actually come out? 2024? Is it going to 12 episodes or are they planning years like Clone Wars and Rebels?  Other than Yoda, it seems that a storyline with all new characters is no guaranteed winner. True, Rebels was almost that as well as it took a while for Leah to appear and such and then we started seeing characters we knew from Clone Wars. Star Wars Resistance does not seem to have built the same following, but maybe it will now. Neither of my kids seem to be watching it, and they are addicted to the other two.

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

Star Wars Resistance does not seem to have built the same following, but maybe it will now. Neither of my kids seem to be watching it, and they are addicted to the other two.

Probably because everybody is still trying to sleep off the sequel trilogy.  lol 

Also, I don't believe Filoni is involved. Storytelling could be much weaker. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

10 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

The problem with the rumors is they came after FOC on December 6th. This notice to retailers came out in November. I guess that could be viewed as a tipping of their hand as well in hindsight.

8 minutes ago, the blob said:

yeah, but when might this actually come out? 2024? Is it going to 12 episodes or are they planning years like Clone Wars and Rebels?  Other than Yoda, it seems that a storyline with all new characters is no guaranteed winner. True, Rebels was almost that as well as it took a while for Leah to appear and such and then we started seeing characters we knew from Clone Wars. Star Wars Resistance does not seem to have built the same following, but maybe it will now. Neither of my kids seem to be watching it, and they are addicted to the other two.

They haven't released a time frame that I know of for that property yet. Not sure how it isn't a winner though. That's like saying 1st Blade isn't a winner because a final date for the movie release hasn't been announced yet.

3 minutes ago, kimik said:

The problem with the rumors is they came after FOC on December 6th. This notice to retailers came out in November. I guess that could be viewed as a tipping of their hand as well in hindsight.

I'm saying why is Diamond putting anything in their sales about any media properties. That is not their place one way or the other. That sets up a very slippery slope for them if they say it is tied and it gets cancelled. Also, as we now see, they were wrong about that as well.

6 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

Probably because everybody is still trying to sleep off the sequel trilogy.  lol 

Also, I don't believe Filoni is involved. Storytelling could be much weaker. 

the article I read said he is involved, but that could be very loosely

one problem may be no Jedis being in the cast of characters. (Rogue One was a fine movie, but the blind monk should have at least been a former padawan or something, maybe one blinded as a child)

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I'm saying why is Diamond putting anything in their sales about any media properties. That is not their place one way or the other. That sets up a very slippery slope for them if they say it is tied and it gets cancelled. Also, as we now see, they were wrong about that as well.

It would have had to have come at Marvel's request. 

3 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

They haven't released a time frame that I know of for that property yet. Not sure how it isn't a winner though. That's like saying 1st Blade isn't a winner because a final date for the movie release hasn't been announced yet.

Blade's 1st appearance was already worth a ton? This will be what, the 4th Blade movie??? And there was already a Blade TV show!

1 hour ago, kimik said:

I don't understand why Marvel took the approach they did with High Republic #1. Look at the heat that IDW is getting pre-FOC for High Republic Adventures #1 by dropping the Yoda 1:10 variant. It is going to blow up orders in a good way. They put out a rough version of a sub-par 1:25 pre-FOC which likely reduced orders, prior to that they sent a note to retailers that this was not tied to any of the current D+ and movie plans (and then a week after FOC announced the Acolytes show lol ), and then did not do any promotion of it until the livestream event on January 4th? Like I posted earlier, I am happy for IDW and hope this is a huge win for them. Being a small publisher is a tough game and hopefully this provides them with a nice pile of earnings to start the year off.

It should be noted that Marvel started hyping this series in February of 2020.

They had a large ad on Diamond for several weeks pushing it before FOC as well.