• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

I'm not one to gloat. But this is a HUGE score for me:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201655311383

That HENCHGIRL #1 is awesome as a nice pick-up.

That book continues to surge, despite the series ending soon, it seems to have a cult following and was picked up to be distributed by Dark Horse and there's whispers (speculation or fact) that the property has been licensed for TV too.

Good price because of the NYX book.

The Henchgirl is the New York Collector Cave variant and has been selling for $20 since people got it in hand.

I'm not one to gloat. But this is a HUGE score for me:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201655311383

That HENCHGIRL #1 is awesome as a nice pick-up.

That book continues to surge, despite the series ending soon, it seems to have a cult following and was picked up to be distributed by Dark Horse and there's whispers (speculation or fact) that the property has been licensed for TV too.

Good price because of the NYX book.

The Henchgirl is the New York Collector Cave variant and has been selling for $20 since people got it in hand.

Yeah, out of all those books, I only care about NYX #4.

Every trend in this hobby since it first showed signs of collectible attributions is with the collector's pocket in mind. From the packaging of books through print limits to variant covers, through grading companies, different slab series, census, and yes, ratio retailer incentives. DONT PRETEND LIKE YOU DONT KNOW THIS. Were all in this together because we love the hobby and we understand its worth to our personal collection as well as others.

There are things that make or break a book's value

The retailer incentive variant program is one of them.

By introducing access inventory to the market PAST INITIAL DISTRIBUTION POINT contradicts that program's validity and causes it to be flawed

I love this, but you are speaking to wrong audience. The current market isn't reading comics anymore.

Someone will come in and tell me they are, but they aren't a large majority anymore and I would argue its a thin majority in this market at best. This board is perfect example now.

Until the growing minority bleeds out of the hobby again its not going to return to some sort of balance.

I think that's a vague as I can make it without pointing fingers directly.

The current market isn't reading comics anymore.

Snicker...

Okee Dokee.

Saturday in the shop tpb's & hc's were 60% of our monster day.

Omega Men tpb got such a BJ from the internet this week it caused a stampede as most shops didn't order...

CGC fellows are a cult sect, NOT representative of the average LCS clientele.

Comics are main street America right now.

Civilians are interested, Lapsed fans are returning, & Wednesday Warriors have a ton of choices.

+1

90% of my clientele is completely baffled by the 'variant cover' idea, "What is it, some kind of trick to get people to buy an extra copy? - well... Sort of", and 99% are there to buy comics to read.

Tpb sales continue to grow nationwide as a larger percentage of the market pie.

It's readers who are saving this hobby.

All that stuff is speculative at best.

Its the What If issue Marvel should really publish (maybe make it a "retail incentive" variant)

Would Ramos variants be the same price they are currently w/o the added surplus? Maybe. Maybe not

Is Ramos variant a key sustainable book? maybe. Maybe not

Did the news surrounding Ramos variants found in 5 below packs nationwide cause speculators to keep away from further investing in said book? Probably, or maybe not

That doesnt change the fact that the rules have been broken. Added inventory fell DIRECTLY to flippers hands time and time again with the help of information revealed online. Which in return, helped oversaturate the market. Facts

Im happy that this was discovered.

Im happy that tens of thousands of speculative dollars with thousands invested by speculators lost on their investment.

No seriously. Soooooo happy

:sorry:

Just hope the next thousand comes crashing isnt the one in your box/safe

This is the kind of Chicken Little extrapolation I don't understand.

Yes, the UF 4 and ASM 4 have shown up in five below packs.

Does that therefore mean that all variants can (or will) show up in 5 below packs ?

Of course not.

It just means that these two did.

No one has ever claimed that variants are printed to order. There will be over supply some times on certain books. No one has ever claimed that Marvel pulps these overages. Maybe they some times do ? Who knows.

Just looking at the list that I re-linked shows you what kind of variants are the ones that are usually blown out and/or end up in 5 below packs. 95% of it is drek that received little retailer interest. Most of it was not incentive based. Some were over printed "event books" or something commemorating something.

And very, very few variants from Marvel's core titles. Just one ASM. A couple FF's and I don't think any from the main X-Men title at the time. You can count them all on one hand.

So is the sky falling ? Maybe on UF 4. But in general ?

Not even a little.

-J.

There's no way to know how many copies of ANY variant is out there, so there's no real way of knowing if it's 'rare' or whatever. There's two good examples of books that, without any information, the average collector might think 'variant=rare'.

And yes there have been main X-Men variants as a part of those packs and any other title that Marvel prints. I have people bring them in the store to sell all the time, thinking they're worth money.

It's more proof these books are NOT printed with any sort of thought towards a ratio. They're printed however Marvel wants to print them. They JUST had ANOTHER blow out variant sale the week of BCC.

Every trend in this hobby since it first showed signs of collectible attributions is with the collector's pocket in mind. From the packaging of books through print limits to variant covers, through grading companies, different slab series, census, and yes, ratio retailer incentives. DONT PRETEND LIKE YOU DONT KNOW THIS. Were all in this together because we love the hobby and we understand its worth to our personal collection as well as others.

There are things that make or break a book's value

The retailer incentive variant program is one of them.

By introducing access inventory to the market PAST INITIAL DISTRIBUTION POINT contradicts that program's validity and causes it to be flawed

I love this, but you are speaking to wrong audience. The current market isn't reading comics anymore.

Someone will come in and tell me they are, but they aren't a large majority anymore and I would argue its a thin majority in this market at best. This board is perfect example now.

Until the growing minority bleeds out of the hobby again its not going to return to some sort of balance.

I think that's a vague as I can make it without pointing fingers directly.

The current market isn't reading comics anymore.

Snicker...

Okee Dokee.

Saturday in the shop tpb's & hc's were 60% of our monster day.

Omega Men tpb got such a BJ from the internet this week it caused a stampede as most shops didn't order...

CGC fellows are a cult sect, NOT representative of the average LCS clientele.

Civilians are interested, Lapsed fans are returning, & Wednesday Warriors have a ton of choices.

+1

90% of my clientele is completely baffled by the 'variant cover' idea, "What is it, some kind of trick to get people to buy an extra copy? - well... Sort of", and 99% are there to buy comics to read.

Tpb sales continue to grow nationwide as a larger percentage of the market pie.

It's readers who are saving this hobby.

Readers aren't necessarily the "hobby"; the hobby is collecting, and mostly trades aren't the focus of collecting. I would say, however, that collectors are doing a good part in saving smaller companies. I'm primarily a Valiant collector and reader; they put out some really good books. But because they're not as recognizable as the big two, the sales numbers are fairly small, and the sales of the rarer variants are likely key in keeping the total print numbers high enough to keep the books on the market, until enough people are aware of them and the quality of their books.

I hope Chuck and Larry are right. They run stores they would know more then me. All I can go on are my local shops and conventions. I would guess I need to look at circulation numbers has 1/2 full instead due to TPB numbers.

TPBs sales are up for sure I just sent a list to co-workers of trades they might like, but they refuse to buy monthlies which I think is odd, but they are younger then me.

Chuck and Larry are absolutely right. As another shop owner here, I'll vouch and say that the majority of my new book sales are from readers. That's not to say we don't have our speculators and investors that come in and they are very important and we value them...but let's say the speculators and strict investors stopped coming into our shop all together. We would be ok tomorrow. We would suffer a bit of course as if any one specific demographic ceased to exist to us suddenly, but the bread and butter of our new books sales are strict readers. Not variant hunters. Not guys on the boards. Readers. Which is a great thing technically!!!

I hope Chuck and Larry are right. They run stores they would know more then me. All I can go on are my local shops and conventions. I would guess I need to look at circulation numbers has 1/2 full instead due to TPB numbers.

TPBs sales are up for sure I just sent a list to co-workers of trades they might like, but they refuse to buy monthlies which I think is odd, but they are younger then me.

You also have to take into account the digital buyers which are pure readers and hard to pin down as far as how many there are.

At one time they wanted to give retailers the ability to make a digital website to sell digital comics, but they quickly pulled that as they saw the $ potential to be made.

It's much bigger than we know.

I really like this quote from Larry. It's counter to the doom and gloom that people have been shouting for decades now.