• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

Dude we get it you hate CBSI. You post the exact same junk every time. Move on with your life. CBSI isnt going anywhere but your whining about them gets old. :slapfight:

I love it when people throw in the ubiquitous "WE"

I have never whined about them, not even once. If you dont like my posts, click on my name, then profile, then choose "ignore this user".

My post was in direct reply to someone else's comment

Edited by CBT

I remember back in the day when the latest Wizard magazine was released . That week the sheep would come in to the stores looking to buy whatever was on the top 10 list. Same thing with these modern lists. I guess most people would rather follow the crowd...

Yeah, there are a lot of parallels in the market today. Though at least that Wizard list was based on sales, and not just "opinion" or their own books

I remember back in the day when the latest Wizard magazine was released . That week the sheep would come in to the stores looking to buy whatever was on the top 10 list. Same thing with these modern lists. I guess most people would rather follow the crowd...

That is exactly what it was meant to invoke. They have said that Day 1.

I don't post comics anymore in this thread because there are 3-5 people who will combat any and every post.

make your post with evidence or facts, and I am sure those people would be on your side.

Also, disagreeing, especially when something is posted with no evidence, is not "combating" you. It's a discussion.

You're seeing less frequent posters come out and say the same thing. (shrug)

Yeah, there are a lot of parallels in the market today. Though at least that Wizard list was based on sales, and not just "opinion" or their own books

We keep a very close watch on all of the hottest books trading hands throughout the country. Here we have listed for you the 10 most commonly sold and demanded comics.

Of course this was before eBay was the giant that it is now.

Sounds like they had it down to a science...just take their word for it.

Edited by ygogolak

This board is moderated well.

Hilarious.

One of the many reasons for CBSI's success is the civil forum that they provide.

This board has degraded into an online asylum.

Overall CGC should be ashamed of what this has become.

I'd be curious to see a cBSi's "success" defined. What exactly is it successful at? Where is the proof of this success?

cBSi is successful because of they have a civil discussion board? An invite only G+ group that bans anyone who doesnt drink the kool-aid is hardly a "civil forum".

But, why would a "comic book investing" site be judged successful based on the civility of its forums? (which they arent)

99% of their articles highlight books which are worth less today then when they were written about..... on a site about "investing". That is is not success, but abject failure.

cBSi is successful at *temporarily* pushing up the value of books they highlight (only for them to drop off again soon after). cBSi is successful at helping move store variants, which benefit cBSi and the store, but are worthless as "investments" which is what the site is supposed to be about.

cBSi uses the massive resources and internet traffic of the CGC forums, like a leech, to feed themselves. Obviously blacklisting cBSi would be wrong(and I am free speech nut), but there is no shame that CGC doesnt moderate their forum to make the moderns section a cBSi cheerleading squad as some would have it be.

cBSi's snake oil peddling only works because of the state of the market for comics right now, when it finally turns, they will be washed out with the tide.

I've only been aware of CBSI for a couple of years.

The group was brought to my attention by word of mouth from customers that enjoyed it & thought I would too.

In two years the fledgling Google group has expanded to a website, a podcast, gatherings all over the country...

The CGC boards have the same stagnant look filled with the same fruit-cakes after a couple decades.

If you cannot see growth, success & the direction CBSI is trending..

You simply don't want to.

(

Sadly I have to agree with you in certain areas especially Comics General. I think other areas are more receptive to new opinions. Really I try to hammer our older board members who are :censored: on here. I try to make them realize we wont grown without new members. Its just like with the general public some on here are just :censored: and there is nothing others can do about it. I just suggest you just put them on ignore your life will be better for it.

I think overall though you wont see it, but in certain areas. Really some they just need to ban from this site altogether. How many times do they need to strike you or give you a month off before they realize they need to go permanently. I get that it is difficult to keep a person off here permanently, but at least they could try.

I used to be on Ebay boards before I join CGC and I didn't like it at first. I thought some were very arrogant and tended to gang up on new members, but I also found when you share your hobby and your interests you will find others that share the same.

It seems much harder on board members who come here only looking to make a $1. Those are the new board members that seem to get the most grief. Because honestly its very tough to trust someone wanting you to buy a $1k book from them with no references. We have a huge list of Hall of Shame and Probation members for that reason.

Thanks for your reply and good to hear from a long-timer like yourself.

I'm not aware of the many who need to be banned but with the amount of people frequenting this site I'm not shocked. It's a numbers game really. There's always some bad eggs.

The CGC boards have the same stagnant look filled with the same fruit-cakes after a couple decades.

(

Same old Larry calling people that aren't on his cheerleading squad names.

Goes and gets a ladder to see how how the pedestal is getting.

The group was brought to my attention by word of mouth from customers that enjoyed it & thought I would too.

In two years the fledgling Google group has expanded to a website, a podcast, gatherings all over the country...

(

Ok, if membership growth of their google group is the measure of success I can agree with that.

My comments are in reference to whether an "investing" groups success should be a measure of their ability to offer valid and profitable "investing" advice to its members.

All I see from them in that regard, is a leveraging of their small but dedicated group of followers, to corner the market on small print run books no one cares about, while selling back and forth to each other, and said books collapse again within a year.

Basically, its the blowoutcards.com, comicsheatingup.net, 1000x copies of Image #1s from DCBS, type guys moving into "big two" variants and "self-printed" variants.

I have always been at odds with the quick flip herd/crowd traditionally seen as using bleedingcool.com as their main source for "information", which I have consistently called "bubblecool.com" for about 5 years. A bunch of them grouping themselves together under social media and running a website and podcasts doesnt change anything, just means they are millennials who are social networking savvy.

I have always respected you Larry as a knowledgeable primary market person. I am very pro primary market vendors and recognize cBSi's ability to push store variants on to their "followers" and that it is positive for the originators of those variants.

But as a guy who runs a successful business, you must be able to recognize some of the things they push (hiding connection between site and variants, listing their own books as top 10, claiming books are heating up with 0 or 1 sales data point) are detrimental to the hobby long term. Certainly counter to their name as an "investing" site. The more "new" people to the hobby that get wrecked in the secondary market, the harder it will be for the primary market to whether any future troubles.

A lot of their followers are going to be bag holders long term, and many already are, but gloss over it by saying "you win some you lose some". Well no, if you chase after fake demand and over pay for snake oil, you just lose them all...

Edited by CBT

I think the CGC boards are very useful as there is no other board that rivals in participation. The sheer numbers of people who post here everyday makes for a good place to come to know about what's going on with comics.

CBSI is great for different reasons. The Top 10 is always high on my list of things to check out. The Google + group has lots of discussion in short bursts with photos which I like.

Yup, like spreading misinformation, and... um... er... pumping worthless drek?

hm I seem to be missing the greatness.

I'm a noob here but there is a sense that if you aren't in agreement with the long-timers of the board then you are squelched. Have a contrarian opinion? You'll find a lot of resistance here. Just my $0.02.

Opinions are worthless unless they are informed and rational. There should be lots of resistance to garbage spewed under the guise of being an "opinion."

On the other hand, the same holds true for "accepted facts" that have been pervasive in the hobby for years (often due to the increasingly irrelevant OPG), but are actually not true. There is no "back cover variant" for Star Trek 1 (to use a recently discussed example), no matter how many OPG editions or CGC labels featured that "information." Some people have difficulty accepting changes to their long-held beliefs, regardless of the obviousness of the truth.

It looks like the only thing heating up around here is talk about CBSI. (shrug)

You cant have it both ways. In the last 2 days Ive listed at least 10 books on here for discussion.

You gotta have discussion both ways about books. Its a give and take and it requires contributions and discussion.

Some just cant have a discussion and never will learn how. This board is moderated well. Once instigators get strikes again it will go back to normal.

Its not like this thread hasn't seen this before.

This board is moderated well.

Hilarious.

One of the many reasons for CBSI's success is the civil forum that they provide.

This board has degraded into an online asylum.

Overall CGC should be ashamed of what this has become.

Your opinion is quite tainted. How many times have you been spanked on here?

giphy.gif

lol

What I used to really enjoy was Overstreets Quarterly magazine because it actually got sales from shops on books moving. Wizard eventually did this toward the end, but they had hurt their reputation by self publishing books and blatant attempts at manipulation.

I want to see PROOF from you guys of the transgressions or start another thread in General, or facebook, or anywhere else where we don't derail this one any more. I want to see it so I can stop associating with the people I do on that page if it is true, but HEARSAY is still hearsay and you need to give the people you are accusing things of the ability to debate you openly and fairly in a public forum. But I know not a single one of you would because baseless attacks is all you are good for and YES I've seen the reasons why you think what you do, but they are a witch hunt.

You claim things, then run off into the night without ever backing them up and WE the other people are getting sick of hearing it. I got sick of it so much I finally stood up against some of you and instantly labeled as CBSI like a scarlet letter???? The only labels you should have here are the ones in your slabs.

Yep, still not allowed to post a book heating up but these guys can constantly spread lies about another site they hate, but I am a rebel and want to further the TRANSFORMERS pump so here are 2 moderns heating up on eBay.

Lost Light #1 selling above $100 for the uber rare 1:50. I shared on my IDW thread here, and on CBSI that the Transformers books typically have a 6-10K print run, so a 1:50 will be a surefire hit with collectors looking to complete the variant sets. Niche market.

My eBay is listed below for the pump/dump police, I have 2 copies enroute, 0 sold and none listed.

Optimus Prime #1 1:50 also shares a Paul Pope Variant, also extremely hard to say how many will actually make it out, but again, a 6-10K print run and a 1:50 incentive.

Again, my eBay is right here, I have a total of 5 copies coming, 3 in hand and have yet to list any as I am waiting for all orders to come in before deciding to grade or sell raw after picking my PC copies.

Just want to contribute an actual book heating up with confirmed sales without Thomas, Simon or anyone else from the spec police flaming me. I read and post on CBSI, call me a scammer, a market manipulator all you want because I bought 1% or more of the total copies available of these books I mention and posted about it, and have 0 currently for sale.

Sadly I have to agree with you in certain areas especially Comics General. I think other areas are more receptive to new opinions. Really I try to hammer our older board members who are :censored: on here. I try to make them realize we wont grown without new members. Its just like with the general public some on here are just :censored: and there is nothing others can do about it. I just suggest you just put them on ignore your life will be better for it.

I think overall though you wont see it, but in certain areas. Really some they just need to ban from this site altogether. How many times do they need to strike you or give you a month off before they realize they need to go permanently. I get that it is difficult to keep a person off here permanently, but at least they could try.

I used to be on Ebay boards before I join CGC and I didn't like it at first. I thought some were very arrogant and tended to gang up on new members, but I also found when you share your hobby and your interests you will find others that share the same.

It seems much harder on board members who come here only looking to make a $1. Those are the new board members that seem to get the most grief. Because honestly its very tough to trust someone wanting you to buy a $1k book from them with no references. We have a huge list of Hall of Shame and Probation members for that reason.

Thanks for your reply and good to hear from a long-timer like yourself.

I'm not aware of the many who need to be banned but with the amount of people frequenting this site I'm not shocked. It's a numbers game really. There's always some bad eggs.

Your right we are so large now we bring in some nut jobs with all the rest its really impossible to prevent. Its a problem other boards have as well just not to this level.

What I still find truly interesting on this forum is there are areas that I still never spent much time. We have a whole section on comic art, toys and conventions that I don't spent much time in. A huge section on comic related movies/tv which his growing every day and a forum sales area where you can find anything or sell anything for that matter.

Many times you can buy and sell a book just by posting up a pic of book you found. They will PM you because they have been looking for 10 years for that book and so on .....

I want to see PROOF from you guys of the transgressions or start another thread in General, or facebook, or anywhere else where we don't derail this one any more. I want to see it so I can stop associating with the people I do on that page if it is true, but HEARSAY is still hearsay and you need to give the people you are accusing things of the ability to debate you openly and fairly in a public forum. But I know not a single one of you would because baseless attacks is all you are good for and YES I've seen the reasons why you think what you do, but they are a witch hunt.

You claim things, then run off into the night without ever backing them up and WE the other people are getting sick of hearing it. I got sick of it so much I finally stood up against some of you and instantly labeled as CBSI like a scarlet letter???? The only labels you should have here are the ones in your slabs.

Yep, still not allowed to post a book heating up but these guys can constantly spread lies about another site they hate, but I am a rebel and want to further the TRANSFORMERS pump so here are 2 moderns heating up on eBay.

Lost Light #1 selling above $100 for the uber rare 1:50. I shared on my IDW thread here, and on CBSI that the Transformers books typically have a 6-10K print run, so a 1:50 will be a surefire hit with collectors looking to complete the variant sets. Niche market.

My eBay is listed below for the pump/dump police, I have 2 copies enroute, 0 sold and none listed.

Optimus Prime #1 1:50 also shares a Paul Pope Variant, also extremely hard to say how many will actually make it out, but again, a 6-10K print run and a 1:50 incentive.

Again, my eBay is right here, I have a total of 5 copies coming, 3 in hand and have yet to list any as I am waiting for all orders to come in before deciding to grade or sell raw after picking my PC copies.

Just want to contribute an actual book heating up with confirmed sales without Thomas, Simon or anyone else from the spec police flaming me. I read and post on CBSI, call me a scammer, a market manipulator all you want because I bought 1% or more of the total copies available of these books I mention and posted about it, and have 0 currently for sale.

What am I supposed to argue with you about here? You post a book with sales to back it up. If the trend continues then its a hot book. You sold to different buyers right? You don't know them right? Nuff said.

All the other stuff you are taking way to personal. My concerns with the site for the most part have been addressed. They posted in their website what I thought they needed to address. Going forward it will make them a better site with less thoughts toward manipulation.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Well, when I know good people get their names dragged around by a jealous person who aimed to do a similar site and failed doing so continuously get loud and slander using hearsay, I have no choice but to step up and say something.

this kind of post can get you a strike, its just pure flaming.

If you are mad at some of cBSi's shadier practices being outted, help them reform and do better.

making up lies and fantasies just keeps the thread derailed.

(

Ok, if membership growth of their google group is the measure of success I can agree with that.

My comments are in reference to whether an "investing" groups success should be a measure of their ability to offer valid and profitable "investing" advice to its members.

All I see from them in that regard, is a leveraging of their small but dedicated group of followers, to corner the market on small print run books no one cares about, while selling back and forth to each other, and said books collapse again within a year.

Basically, its the blowoutcards.com, comicsheatingup.net, 1000x copies of Image #1s from DCBS, type guys moving into "big two" variants and "self-printed" variants.

I have always been at odds with the quick flip herd/crowd traditionally seen as using bleedingcool.com as their main source for "information", which I have consistently called "bubblecool.com" for about 5 years. A bunch of them grouping themselves together under social media and running a website and podcasts doesnt change anything, just means they are millennials who are social networking savvy.

I have always respected you Larry as a knowledgeable primary market person. I am very pro primary market vendors and recognize cBSi's ability to push store variants on to their "followers" and that it is positive for the originators of those variants.

But as a guy who runs a successful business, you must be able to recognize some of the things they push (hiding connection between site and variants, listing their own books as top 10, claiming books are heating up with 0 or 1 sales data point) are detrimental to the hobby long term. Certainly counter to their name as an "investing" site. The more "new" people to the hobby that get wrecked in the secondary market, the harder it will be for the primary market to whether any future troubles.

A lot of their followers are going to be bag holders long term, and many already are, but gloss over it by saying "you win some you lose some". Well no, if you chase after fake demand and over pay for snake oil, you just lose them all...

There's a large majority on that page and in that group that aren't only interested in buying or selling the things you are talking about. Have they made mistakes? Sure, but from what I see they act fast to correct them. If their page was only about pushing store variants or the other things you accuse them of then I could see your point but they have people writing about much more that simply flipping books and it also appears they do a fair amount of charity work.

I think the CGC boards are very useful as there is no other board that rivals in participation. The sheer numbers of people who post here everyday makes for a good place to come to know about what's going on with comics.

CBSI is great for different reasons. The Top 10 is always high on my list of things to check out. The Google + group has lots of discussion in short bursts with photos which I like.

Yup, like spreading misinformation, and... um... er... pumping worthless drek?

hm I seem to be missing the greatness.

I'm a noob here but there is a sense that if you aren't in agreement with the long-timers of the board then you are squelched. Have a contrarian opinion? You'll find a lot of resistance here. Just my $0.02.

Opinions are worthless unless they are informed and rational. There should be lots of resistance to garbage spewed under the guise of being an "opinion."

On the other hand, the same holds true for "accepted facts" that have been pervasive in the hobby for years (often due to the increasingly irrelevant OPG), but are actually not true. There is no "back cover variant" for Star Trek 1 (to use a recently discussed example), no matter how many OPG editions or CGC labels featured that "information."

Some people have difficulty accepting changes to their long-held beliefs, regardless of the obviousness of the truth.

See Hulk 180, X-Factor 23 and a host of others....