• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Ah blaming the victim...

Bottom line is, Rick and Morty is a sham.  False FMV's created by shill accounts and fake auctions and even faker "buy it nows".  

....The original eBay way.  

-J.

How are you the victim by confirming a bid? You have to double confirm to bid on eBay. You have two times to indicate your bid price.

Edited by ygogolak

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

How are you the victim by confirming a bid? You have to double confirm to bid on eBay.

You're starting to sound like someone who is giving tacit approval to unscrupulous sellers who are defrauding buyers and trying to con the market.  

So let me fill you in on a little secret- SHILL BIDDING IS ILLEGAL. Regardless of what kind of bid the defrauded buyer put it in.  

-J.

6 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

You're starting to sound like someone who is giving tacit approval to unscrupulous sellers who are defrauding buyers and trying to con the market.  

So let me fill you in on a little secret- SHILL BIDDING IS ILLEGAL. Regardless of what kind of bid the defrauded buyer put it in.  

-J.

I'm saying take responsibility for your actions.

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

I have five words for this:  "shill bidding" and "blatant market manipulation".  One of the worst examples I've seen of it in a long time.   Let's have a close look-see, shall we?

Auction 1- Item shill bid by bidder 4***y (1), and "won" by m***l (33) with 100% bidding activity with seller, only for item to be immediately re-listed.  

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=122693287540&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Auction 2- Item shill bid (again) and "won" by bidder 4***y (1), who was one of only 3 bidders in this auction.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=292251465774&showauto=true

Auction 3- Just two bidders, and "won" by our friend 4***y (1), again.  Other participating bidder is m***v (52)....

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=222651733202&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

...who also bid up Auction 4-

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=122669179821&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Auction 5-  Once again, "won" by bidder 4***y (1).  Oh and look who was the under bidder on this one too! m***v (52) again. 

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=272844925942&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Auction 6-  Look, here's our friend m***v (52) bidding up another auction again. 

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=222629285632&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

And these are just from the month of September.   

Sorry fans, but this book is as dirty as a wallowing pig's butt.  I would avoid like the Plague. 

-J.

I was having this exact conversation with a friend of mine. He’s a die hard Rick and Morty fan and really wants some copies but  I told him to be carful. 

Speaking of shill bidders (who deserve a special kind of hell) has anyone here reported the activity to eBay when they’ve suspected it? I was bidding on a comic last week and I looked at the bids, there was two people that bid with zero history and one had 100% activity with the seller. Every couple of hours they would increase their bids by $10-$15. I reported it to eBay and the next day their bids went away. Just wondering if anyone here thinks its effective?

4 minutes ago, ct0318 said:

I was having this exact conversation with a friend of mine. He’s a die hard Rick and Morty fan and really wants some copies but  I told him to be carful. 

Speaking of shill bidders (who deserve a special kind of hell) has anyone here reported the activity to eBay when they’ve suspected it? I was bidding on a comic last week and I looked at the bids, there was two people that bid with zero history and one had 100% activity with the seller. Every couple of hours they would increase their bids by $10-$15. I reported it to eBay and the next day their bids went away. Just wondering if anyone here thinks its effective?

Reporting fraudulent can be effective, yes.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/404505-goodnewscomics-is-bad-news-blatant-shilling-now-daredevilcomics/?page=6

Unfortunately eBay has done everything they can to try and coverup shill bidding and fraudulent sellers including letting them change their names.

27 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

...Bottom line is, Rick and Morty is a sham... 

I think this is way too black and white statement. That one book may have had some fake bids and the price driven up, but R&M is not a sham in general. Even that book is easily a $1000+ book. The 1st print #1 is a $700 book, so a 1:50 #1 is logically $1000+.

Ive made some good money on this series and the views on those auctions of mine were sometimes 10x the views of my other auctions (remember this is moderns heating up on ebay). Im just about to post some more today and I guarantee you the views will be high and hopefully Ill make some good money on them.

If you've been to a con recently and don't know that R&M is huge in the comic world right now, you had your eyes closed when you were there. While it may not be popular in the tried and true, hard core golden/silver age comic book fan, it is popular with a wide population in the comic world. Roiland has been to numerous cons recently and his lines were insane.  

50 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I'm saying take responsibility for your actions.

Dude, seriously?  If I can't be logged into eBay, for whatever reason, to partake in the usual last second snipe bidding and place an early high protection bid to ensure I am able to purchase the item, and I end up getting illegally shilled by a team of unscrupulous ebayers this is somehow something that "I" should be taking responsibility for ?

Give me a bloody break.  

Shilling an auction is a FEDERAL CRIME under the Wire Fraud statute.  

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1343

So yeah, you may want to quit while you're behind. 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

44 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

I think this is way too black and white statement. That one book may have had some fake bids and the price driven up, but R&M is not a sham in general. Even that book is easily a $1000+ book. The 1st print #1 is a $700 book, so a 1:50 #1 is logically $1000+.

Ive made some good money on this series and the views on those auctions of mine were sometimes 10x the views of my other auctions (remember this is moderns heating up on ebay). Im just about to post some more today and I guarantee you the views will be high and hopefully Ill make some good money on them.

If you've been to a con recently and don't know that R&M is huge in the comic world right now, you had your eyes closed when you were there. While it may not be popular in the tried and true, hard core golden/silver age comic book fan, it is popular with a wide population in the comic world. Roiland has been to numerous cons recently and his lines were insane.  

Im glad that you have had a positive experience selling these books, but that doesn't change the fact that every auction I linked from this month was dirty.  

And when this book was "selling" for even $1k I linked auctions showing that those were also dirty.  The fraudsters have just gotten even more greedy and are now trying to push it to $2k. At the end of the day, if the book were truly that in demand then there would be no need for these sellers to be shilling all of these auctions to high heaven.  

I can't help but recall when a certain ultra rare raw Spider-man variant sold for over $2000 over two years ago now. Boy did that cause an absolute ruckus around here.  I'm talking not, one, not two, but three threads ended up getting locked behind it.  Mind you, this was Spider-Man, and a variant that to this day maybe comes up for sale only once or twice a year raw (if at all).  But man oh man, you just couldn't get a small but persistent group of naysayers to stop going on and on about it. 

And here we now have, a book that is not rare, with about ten raw copies coming up for sale in the last 30 days alone, "selling" nearly each and every time at or around $2k recently, in obviously dirty auctions....and nary  a peep.

The times, they do be a-changin'. lol

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

So the JSC cover D or sets that include cover D for Spider-Man Renew Your Vows #11 is insane. I just don’t get it. I’m guilty of loving Campbell’s work and I even bought this set signed, but I bought it from his website with his discount code for the low price of like $130. They are going for $350-$450 which is insane. I don’t think the print run warrants these prices. Cover D which I think is the main one people want will have a print of 1,350 copies. The others have print of runs of between 2k-3k

18 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Im glad that you have had a positive experience selling these books, but that doesn't change the fact that every auction I linked from this month was dirty.  

And when this book was "selling" for even $1k I linked auctions showing that those were also dirty.  The fraudsters have just gotten even more greedy and are now trying to push it to $2k. At the end of the day, if the book were truly that in demand then there would be no need for these sellers to be shilling all of these auctions to high heaven.  

I can't help but recall when a certain ultra rare raw Spider-man variant sold for over $2000 over two years ago now. Boy did that cause an absolute ruckus around here.  I'm talking not, one, not two, but three threads ended up getting locked behind it.  Mind you, this was Spider-Man, and a variant that to this day maybe comes up for sale only once or twice a year raw (if at all).  But man oh man, you just couldn't get a small but persistent group of naysayers to stop going on and on about it. 

And here we now have, a book that is not rare, with about ten raw copies coming up for sale in the last 30 days alone, "selling" nearly each and every time at or around $2k recently, in obviously dirty auctions....and nary  a peep.

The times, they do be a-changin'. lol

-J.

But my point was your blanket statement that R&M is a sham. Your point about one book and a few auctions is one thing, but the point that R&M series (modern books) heating up is a fact and there is money to be made on them (not based on shilled auctions). Thats my point and its not a sham. I have other ebay auctioneers emailing me asking if I have more books. I guess those people were faked out too? Are you genuinely trying to imply that the R&M market is mostly fake and that the 1:50 variant couldn't cross $1000 without shilled bids? If so, I strongly disagree. I do think some of those early auctions were inflated, but the market for these books is hot (third season is underway). The audience is growing fast and comic book fan is right in its wheelhouse. 

I believe that 1:50 is worth about $1000 as a 9.8 if not more. I don't necessarily believe it will be worth that in the long run though. I do think its a risky long term investment. 

3 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I have five words for this:  "shill bidding" and "blatant market manipulation".  One of the worst examples I've seen of it in a long time.   Let's have a close look-see, shall we?

Auction 1- Item shill bid by bidder 4***y (1), and "won" by m***l (33) with 100% bidding activity with seller, only for item to be immediately re-listed.  

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=122693287540&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Auction 2- Item shill bid (again) and "won" by bidder 4***y (1), who was one of only 3 bidders in this auction.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=292251465774&showauto=true

Auction 3- Just two bidders, and "won" by our friend 4***y (1), again.  Other participating bidder is m***v (52)....

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=222651733202&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

...who also bid up Auction 4-

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=122669179821&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Auction 5-  Once again, "won" by bidder 4***y (1).  Oh and look who was the under bidder on this one too! m***v (52) again. 

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=272844925942&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Auction 6-  Look, here's our friend m***v (52) bidding up another auction again. 

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=222629285632&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

And these are just from the month of September.   

Sorry fans, but this book is as dirty as a wallowing pig's butt.  I would avoid like the Plague. 

-J.

I didn't look closely at the bidders. 

If that is correct that's just insane. It would be interesting to study the activity of other R&M books as they are doing quite well as well. 

at this point this is really the only logical explanation for the price hike on this book

21 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I didn't look closely at the bidders. 

If that is correct that's just insane. It would be interesting to study the activity of other R&M books as they are doing quite well as well. 

at this point this is really the only logical explanation for the price hike on this book

I just put a sketch out there and got a best offer within about 10 minutes.

1 hour ago, kevhtx said:

But my point was your blanket statement that R&M is a sham. Your point about one book and a few auctions is one thing, but the point that R&M series (modern books) heating up is a fact and there is money to be made on them (not based on shilled auctions). Thats my point and its not a sham. I have other ebay auctioneers emailing me asking if I have more books. I guess those people were faked out too? Are you genuinely trying to imply that the R&M market is mostly fake and that the 1:50 variant couldn't cross $1000 without shilled bids? If so, I strongly disagree. I do think some of those early auctions were inflated, but the market for these books is hot (third season is underway). The audience is growing fast and comic book fan is right in its wheelhouse. 

I believe that 1:50 is worth about $1000 as a 9.8 if not more. I don't necessarily believe it will be worth that in the long run though. I do think its a risky long term investment. 

Just hypothetically speaking here. The shills could be done on ANY title. If the powers that be recognized the power in price manipulation and its effect on a certain property's popularity I can even see how a PR assigned to said property would exploit it HEAVILY on eBay

Think about it. Money that you spend on promiting a cartoon show, a toy, or a comic for that matter, spent on hyping a book that's associated with the product on eBay is money well spent. 

in that instance, eBay is functioning as a social media platform to the thousands (tens of thousands?) comic book collectors who frequent it daily and are amazed by R&Ms popularity as a hot commodity. 

Thats great exposure to the show. 

This type of market manipulation happens often with music and digital downloads. DIY PR companies will buy their own music, elevating their songs to the top of the charts and creating positive awareness this way. 

How do you explain that my auctions have 10x the views than my other auctions? and that after my books sell, Ive had multiple messages from other ebayers asking if I have more? and that some of them sell fast with BIY or Best offers? 

I don't get why you guys can't just accept that the market for these books is hot. It can be hot and also have a book or two being manipulated. Geez.

1 minute ago, kevhtx said:

How do you explain that my auctions have 10x the views than my other auctions? and that after my books sell, Ive had multiple messages from other ebayers asking if I have more? and that some of them sell fast with BIY or Best offers? 

I don't get why you guys can't just accept that the market for these books is hot. It can be hot and also have a book or two being manipulated. Geez.

Again. R&M is hot. There's no mistaking that. 

But you can clearly see by jaydogs examples that it was shilled. 

That, and the fact that a modern comic book based on a modern cartoon show is fetching those high numbers make me seriously question the behavior of that book in the market

1 minute ago, Aweandlorder said:

No one is arguing that R&M comics are hot at the moment. 

With statements like "R&M is a sham" and some of the other statements made previous, some are arguing that. Pinpointing a book or two is one thing, but blanketing a series based on one book is another. Even trying to suggest that some other books might have some fraud going on in a hot market is wrong too. I am sure that numerous series when its market gets hot has fraud going on, it attracts it. We can't just always dismiss that market simply because some fraudulent activity may be happening. 

Just now, kevhtx said:

With statements like "R&M is a sham" and some of the other statements made previous, some are arguing that. Pinpointing a book or two is one thing, but blanketing a series based on one book is another. Even trying to suggest that some other books might have some fraud going on in a hot market is wrong too. I am sure that numerous series when its market gets hot has fraud going on, it attracts it. We can't just always dismiss that market simply because some fraudulent activity may be happening. 

We can definitely assume that. 

Show me another modern book based on an animated series that has exploded the way this book did for months now. 

Theres no first appearance here, no real collectible attributes to that book other than pure high market sales for no reason, backed by proved shills.