• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Our Army at War #83s!
2 2

161 posts in this topic

Here is a copy I will never, ever sell!

JoeKubert_10.jpg

It is so cool that you'd get your only copy signed by Kubert! (thumbs u

Fantastic! Did Kubert have any reaction to seeing the book and signing it? I would think Kubert doesn't see and sign too many of these.

Bill, think about your personally witnessing this rare and historic this moment is in the history of comics- the great Joe Kubert signing the greatest war book ever and co-creating this character- the greatest comic book war character ever! The Rock.

Your 83 is now immortalized!

Congrats!

John

Thanks!

As a matter of fact he did. And if I understood him correctly, he eluded to the fact that the cover and interior splash of OAAW 83 were, in part, some of his most significant art in his early DC War work. I believe he also mentioned that this exact imagery made a lasting impact with him personally.

I am sorry if I am not quoting him accurately, but there was a tremendous amount of background noise... and in my defense, I was in a state of blissful shock at that moment. After all, the reining king of war comics was handling, and about to sign, the preeminent war book of them all.

Wow, he didn't say anything to me when he signed mine. I had him sign on the splash page.

That book must have brought back many memories for him. Remember the work it took for him and Kanigher to get to 83- the 1st True Sgt. Rock!

BTW - we know that 83 is an amazing unigue key and here's one reason why: Rock may have more prototypes than any other character in comic book history. Think about how long and how much work it took for these guys to create this character. I wonder if this thought has crossed Kubert's mind.

Here is a copy I will never, ever sell!

JoeKubert_10.jpg

Wow, awesome seeing that book and the legend Kubert signing it. I sure

envy you Matt. :cloud9: Would you take...ah forget it.

Great additions to the thread with that incredible CGC 6.0 PW22 bought

from Keith. :luhv:

Looks nicer than a 6.0 to me and what an awesome book to own.

BrianR, :hi:

Your copy looks similar to my old copy and I sure regret selling that book.

Actually yours look nicer and I would love to own your new addition. (thumbs u

Edited by Fazybones

Is ink loss common with this book?

I have noticed that the lower grade copies lack the luster of higher grade copies without a doubt (5.0's or better, of course). And I recently noticed how brilliant Hawkman23's 83 shines (wow!), so there seems to be differing variations of color retention in mid to high grade versions... but, it's hard to judge from scans.

Hey Hawkman, is that book the one that got the Qualified 7.0 grade?

That book must have brought back many memories for him. Remember the work it took for him and Kanigher to get to 83- the 1st True Sgt. Rock!

BTW - we know that 83 is an amazing unigue key and here's one reason why: Rock may have more prototypes than any other character in comic book history. Think about how long and how much work it took for these guys to create this character. I wonder if this thought has crossed Kubert's mind.

I know it has. We obviously broached the subject during the panel. He is unabashed about giving Kanigher most if not all the credit. But he did admit that he was struck by both story and character when it finally culminated in OAAW 83. He remarked that he tried his best to convey the essene of the character in art form, as he was concerned with making sure he did the character and story justice.

Again, I was enjoying the panel through rose-colored glasses, so don't quote me on his exact response. But, I believe I've captured the substance of his response.

Richard, James, you were in the audience... what do you recall?

Richard, James, you were in the audience... what do you recall?

I recall with absolute clarity how much of a nerd you truly are.

I have noticed that the lower grade copies lack the luster of higher grade copies without a doubt (5.0's or better, of course). And I recently noticed how brilliant Hawkman23's 83 shines (wow!), so there seems to be differing variations of color retention in mid to high grade versions... but, it's hard to judge from scans.

Yes.

I am Hawkman23's Dad. I purchased the 6.0 because I fell in love with 83 after we acquired it from the collection in Michigan.

Here's my copy. It's missing half of the back cover, I wonder if my copy was so trashed he didnt recognize it. :blush:

7343664624_2c85d7112c.jpg

7158490821_3a16b77e8b.jpg

7343700068_e702c8a360.jpg

7158483953_5a7f277fda.jpg

I am in the presence of the Holy "War" Ghost ! :devil:

Yes.

I am Hawkman23's Dad. I purchased the 6.0 because I fell in love with 83 after we acquired it from the collection in Michigan.

Understandably. The book is the finest war book crack you can score. Must have been tough to let it go. You certainly upgraded by sequestering a book that doesn't have a coupon cut out of it... but, I wonder how they would compare in eye-appeal when side by side?

Nevertheless, a sincere congrats on owning a fine, fine copy of the book.