• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was the first GGA cover?

38 posts in this topic

I don't mean pulp style bondage, weird menace, or damsel in distress covers. I mean the first true pinup girl style GGA cover. I'm guessing there aren't any prior to WWII, but maybe I'm wrong. Was it a Fiction House book? Fox? What do you think? :popcorn:

Where do you put / how do you categorize:

The Comics Magazine (Funny Pages) v. 1 # 5 from September 1936

[/img]

Damn. Thread over. :pullhair:

Okay, what was the second? :blush:

6353107085_cdf96b16f8_o.jpg

Blondie was usually considered a good girl.

Popeye saved a babe at the beach, Maggie instead of Olive (she had more curves but I doubt if Jiggs thanked him).

6353107151_d3e52255b5_o.jpg

6353107195_d4b57ea2cb_o.jpg

Crackajack had a nude model on the cover but I don't know if it increased sales.

Popular had mostly guys on the cover but they were scanning the beach for girls, I think...

6353107117_5b757eb830_o.jpg

Scans are from the GCD. King is from 1937. Crackajack and Ace are from 1938.

I don't mean pulp style bondage, weird menace, or damsel in distress covers. I mean the first true pinup girl style GGA cover. I'm guessing there aren't any prior to WWII, but maybe I'm wrong. Was it a Fiction House book? Fox? What do you think? :popcorn:

Jeff, are you thinking "first GGA comic cover"? Because there's a zillion 1920s/1930s pulp covers that would be GGA by most folks' standards, even discounting the weird menace/bondage types.

Here's one neat pulp series I like from the late 20s/30s. (There are other series where the covers are an even closer fit to Fiction House-style GGA.) The first one is from 1928; the second and third from 1930.

pep1928.jpg

pep1930b.jpg

pep1930a.jpg

Here's one neat pulp series I like from the late 20s/30s. (There are other series where the covers are an even closer fit to Fiction House-style GGA.) The first one is from 1928; the second and third from 1930.

pep1928.jpg

pep1930b.jpg

pep1930a.jpg

Yes, I was talking about comic covers, but don't let that stop you from posting more of these. And that begs the question, did the GGA comic covers evolve straight out of the spicy pulps?

Looking at some of the Fiction House it seems that that the switch from typical damsel-in-distress to true GGA takes place during the period from fall 1940 to spring 1941. the change is kind of gradual though. If you take Jumbo for example, in 15 Sheena is just standing there kind of stiffly, but by 31 her pose looks like it was swiped straight from a pinup photo. Somewhere between the two the shift occurred, imo.

pep1928.jpg

pep1930b.jpg

pep1930a.jpg

Clothes must have been in short supply.

pep1928.jpg

pep1930b.jpg

pep1930a.jpg

Clothes must have been in short supply.

Especially inside. :blush: Lots of art-deco-ish illos of ladies in undress. 'Spicy' by that era's standards, but quite charming by today's.