• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questionable Asking Prices...

45 posts in this topic

I usually list my Clink stuff a tad on the high side....sometimes if I get a particularly insulting low ball offer I'll jack the price up even more. Unfortunately, most o my sales success comes at about 60 % of what I paid for the book :boo: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Sorry I am still on meds from surgery the other day guys..I am ramblin ramblin ramblin..

"I'll have what she is having..."

come on everyone knows I be a she..

and no you would not want what I am having..it includes me not being able to eat solid food..or use a straw..and it very much sucks..no matter how much I try to make it not suck..it still sucks..

I listed a $2 yardsale doll I did about $8 worth of restoration on with a $375.00 BIN and when I went to check the listing view it was gone. I got payment within 25 minutes of posting along with a lovely email telling me how happy she was I was willing to let one of them go so cheaply.

It's hard to feel *too* bad when you spend $10 on something and make a $365 (minus fees) profit...I used to love Ebay but now I just can't do it anymore

Another complete mystery item..a metal figure..sold within a day BIN for $99 ..I had gotten it in an auction "flat lot" that I paid $2 for (because I really wanted model kits on the flat)..The person who bought it said "You really don't know what you have do you?"

That's borderline jerky...I think he was just shocked to find one and so giddy about it..he has a tremendous collection of these figures and honestly we had no idea what it was or what it was made of I listed it with the huge shoot the moon BIN which turned out to be modest!

When I told him I had no idea he said he did not want to shoot himself in the foot because he really loved and collected them and wanted it. I explained I would honor the auction sale no matter what he told me but I was just curious as all get out

You should have said, "Oh sorry, I had a basement flood/fire/tornado/hailstorm/locust swarm/acne outbreak and it was ruined." (Not really but that's what a lot of people do. It was very upright of you to proceed with the sale and karmically you hopefully have been paid back in full already.)Naah I am not like that usually I figure I know something new and the next time I see one I will know better

He reluctantly told me it was an incredibly rare 18th century figure and and the last one he had purchased in worse condition than mine he had paid $1200 for.

Ouch -- but it goes to show, sometimes it's better to auction than to BIN, just in case.Once I had two $5 thrift store purchases up with $39 BIN and $4.50 starting bids..by the end of day one both were near $200 by day 4 they were at $300 and $400 by the end of it all I got $1400 for them from the same buyer who paid instantly. She said "You will probably hate me but I intend to take these out of the boxes and put them together and use them" I told her at that price I didn't care if she strapped them to a firecracker and shot them in to space she bought them lol but I am truly glad the original bidder broke the BIN prices..

I think a lot of news stories recently and all these "look what we found" type shows on reality TV fuel everyone with a comic book to think they are worth 2 million dollars.

Yep, it brings a lot of weirdness out, along with the usual hucksters.I had a lady determined to outbid me because she was furious that I attended an auction and she learned I scooped her on a ton of antique costume jewelry..the auctioneer told me "By all means bid and bid again that bird is so tough she will not let you win a single lot if she can help it" So while my usual limit on "unknowns" lots or flats is around $3 I bid and bid and she got madder and madder stomping her foot glaring at me mad..paying $30-60 for flats that usually would go for less than $10 I was laughing soooo hard

I ran into a great stack of TPBs at a thrift store and picked out maybe 5 I wanted to try out..I sort of liked them and they were a quarter a piece so I went back the next day and figured I'd buy the rest. I got up to the counter where the manager informed me I must have been mistaken because they were $7 each. And flipped out when I explained I had bought them the prior day for 25 cents. But they were no where NEAR worth $7 each and the manager acted like I was trying to rip off the store by buying pricey treasured books on the cheap..

I hate when stores/sellers misprice things and then get jerky when you try to buy at the given price. A couple years ago at a flea market I found a cool vintage LP (probably worth about $50) and had already paid for it, and the seller walked up, grabbed it out of my hand, and gave me the $4 back because he suddenly realized it was mis-priced. When I asked what the price was supposed to be, he said, "It's not for sale." Oh....so that's why it was sitting out on your table with a price tag on it...

lol I hate that I once was at a yard sale and came across a Stephen King book..I liked the Stand pretty much and thought I'd probably pick it up but was stuck because it was $3 an informal price limit I have on yard sale buys..then I opened up the cover and saw it was signed and inscribed by Stephen King. So of course I walked up and handed the lady my money walked away only to be chased down "Wait wait my mom sold that book by mistake we want it back :( ohh mannnn..

Bringing up blackstarcomics in a thread such as this is cheating :makepoint:

I would be hesitant to buy anything from Crackstarcomics because their prices show a general lack of judgment , perhaps mental illness.

Case in point :

Last 1000 auctions :

2 sales for less than $35.

Heh. You see this all the time in the sports card collecting community. Some sellers just want to show off what they have with no real interest whether they actually sell or not. check out this ungraded Tom Brady rookie card for ONLY 80k :)

True, some people just want to show their stuff off, thought that's a little odd. There are also some who purposely inflate the price and then take offers from people so they can make a deal off eBay (no fees, and minimal consequence when caught overgrading). I can think of at least one very well-known seller for whom this was practically the basis of his entire business.

Okay so what's with this preduction guy? Looks like a person who just wants to show off his collection. It's somebody here on the boards, right? His feedback shows that he has sold some Carl Barks original art.

Update: Did a search. I knew this looked familiar. Preduction has been discussed repeatedly on the boards. It seems he's the old-time dealer Theo Holstein from San Pedro, CA. He was briefly here as "Carl Barks" and I guess was kicked off for something or other. Anyway....this listing is either some form of high-level satire, or the results of some potent drugs.

preduction-pl17.jpg

From the listing:

"Phantom Lady #17 c omics NearPerfect Condition All original NOT CGC GRADED. This book was purchased from a estate sale . The owner bought it off the Comic stands originally . This was the best Comic that he owned when he died and his heirs sold his estate. Otherwise he would of never sold this issue. Its condition is JUST OUTSTANDING. Some of the inside side pages are off white to slight pinkish white in color. I think the collectible market has broken threw some significant barriers. With action comics selling over $2 million dollars and multiple copies selling over the million and a half dollars range this show collectors that collectibles have become an import investment vehicle for your money. If you notice other collectible markets are taking their lead from similar over one million dollar sales. Such as spiderman #1 selling at 1.1,million ,Frank frazette conan painting selling for 1.5 million. Gil elvgreen painting priced on heritage at 3,5 to 2,5 million . Were the last sale was only $290k . The collectible market for KEY "ICONIC" merchandise has forever changed. They dont come any more ICONIC then Phantom Lady #17!!! especially in MINT! .... Prices will never be the same for this book.. This book is soon to break A million dollars in the right grade! "

Drugs...

But I really dislike all the new "storage wars and pickers and antique buying" shows. Where there used to be say 150 people poking around the caves bidding on palettes..now there are hundreds more every Thursday..not only do they drive up the prices on stuff that is not really that valuable..but it inflates the values of the items.

That's not the only thing those programs do. People think these shows give them social license to rip people off. I find it unsettling when these post WTB ads, and when you answer them, they start asking for the kind of stuff no collector in their right mind would ever sell.

Here's an example. I answer an ad - the guy is adamant that he will treat people right because he bolds and highlights these words. So I email him with a bunch of stuff I've got. He responds rather politely, and then veers into how his friends overpaid for stuff, and starts heading into a discussion which eventually leads to valuations from decades ago.

So my out is to ask if they are selling any stuff - I mean, it's logical - if they can get stuff that cheap, why not turn to them for buys. But I return the favor and ask for incredibly rare stuff that I'd be happy to shell good cash on regardless.

I get an email a day later from another guy whose ad I answered months earlier, and remembered him right-away as being the extreme low-baller. Out of the blue, he asks for the same piece I had asked this other guy about.

I mean, really? Seriously? Has everyone become a greed broker, to the point where it doesn't matter how desperate and embarrassing their flipping disorder? He throws out such a ridiculous offer ($850 for a $5K item) that I couldn't resist replying I would pay that price all day.

The guy sends an angry reply and in a roundabout way tells me he wouldn't sell me one (IF he had one) for less than $2500.

:roflmao:

Here's an example. I answer an ad - the guy is adamant that he will treat people right because he bolds and highlights these words. ( ... SNIP ... ) The guy sends an angry reply and in a roundabout way tells me he wouldn't sell me one (IF he had one) for less than $2500.

Your story reminds me of a comics guy I met via Craigslist ads. I went the his house to meet him and within a couple minutes I knew he was full of $#eeeeeet. During the course of a 30 minute conversation, he said, "I don't know much about comics, I got these from a house I was working construction on" and then later, "I've been collecting these for years." All his stuff was massively overgraded. He had a copy of Jimmy Olsen #1 in maybe GD/VG and I asked how much he was selling it for. He said, "Oh, I couldn't let that go for less that what I paid for it, which is $1,200." Later on in the conversation, he tells me he might be willing to negotiate for around $700. Huh? I just smiled and nodded and got out of there. I don't know how you can completely contradict yourself within the space of a few minutes and not expect somebody to think you're nuts.

Here's an example. I answer an ad - the guy is adamant that he will treat people right because he bolds and highlights these words. ( ... SNIP ... ) The guy sends an angry reply and in a roundabout way tells me he wouldn't sell me one (IF he had one) for less than $2500.

Your story reminds me of a comics guy I met via Craigslist ads. I went in person to meet him and within a couple minutes I knew he was full of $#eeeeeet. During the course of a 30 minute conversation, he said, "I don't know much about comics, I got these from a house I was working construction on" and then later, "I've been collecting these for years." All his stuff was massively overgraded. He had a copy of Jimmy Olsen #1 in maybe GD/VG and I asked how much he was selling it for. He said, "Oh, I couldn't let that go for less that what I paid for it, which is $1,200." Later on in the conversation, he tells me he might be willing to negotiate for around $700. Huh? I just smiled and nodded and got out of there. I don't know how you can completely contradict yourself within the space of a few minutes and not expect somebody to think you're nuts.

Good choice to leave while the goings good.

Just to clear up any confusion on my experience, the guy I contacted with the WTB ad said he get's things like the item I requested from time to time, and to check back with him. I'll get to the part about why this is total b.s. in a minute.

I know he contacted the second guy who later contacted me, asking if I had the item I asked the first guy.

It was so easy to pinpoint this was a brokering scheme handled by a bunch of amateurs because the item I asked for is rarer than hen's teeth. There are a handful of known examples out there and they are locked-up in some of the best collections.

What was both sad and pathetic is how the ad tries to create the impression that this person is professional, has experience, whole white-glove treatment, yadda-yadda, and then he proceeds to contact a complete low-ball shyster, who probably had a lightbulb moment, recalling the email exchange he had with me months prior, and rather than using professionalism and tact, proceeds to send an email with a pathetic offer.

Whether or not the WTB dude knows it, his affiliations to low-life like the second guy who contacted me with a "this is my offer and you're going to like it" attitude not only soils their reputations, but pisses-off more potential leads than anything else.