• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feb Heritage Auction

612 posts in this topic

I don't share the same feeling. I would pay a premium for a white page book in a slab. I would pay less for a lt tan/off white page book in a slab.

There is a lot of room between tan and white and even some margin for error in CGC grading as that's only an opinion that might even be influenced by the number of White and Off-White copies coming through at any one time. It isn't an exact science after all.

COW (Cream to Off White) is more common for GA book interiors, and while not the most desirable, it is perfectly acceptable. Off-White to White and White is much less common, but found often enough even outside of pedigree copies.

Personally, I'd rather have a COW copy with fantastic exterior than a White pager with structural flaws and foxing, but that's just me; everyone's mileage varies. (shrug)

I guess I misunderstood your original post. I got the impression that page quality on the label didn't matter to you.

Sorry, my misguided attempt at cleverness in the earlier post probably obfuscated the point I was trying to make about the Billy Wright pedigree relying too much on page quality for grade. :sorry:

Judging from the dust-shadows, foxing, color-breaking bends and structural issues I've noticed, the reliance on PQ seems way too much, but what do I know. (shrug)

In respect to the PQ of my own collection, only one CGC book I own has a Light Tan designated label; the rest are graded somewhat above that (COW, OW/W & White). So, yes, it does matter to me, but when it gets right down to it, as far as eye appeal in a slab, it matters very little. The only assuredness one can take away about PQ of any graded and slabbed book is from the graders opinion on the label.

OTOH, the cover condition is that horse of a different color you've heard tell about. :whistle:

Personally, I'd rather have a COW copy with fantastic exterior than a White pager with structural flaws and foxing, but that's just me; everyone's mileage varies. (shrug)

I share this view. Sure, page quality is important because it is often an indicator of the freshness of the book. However, the obsession over page quality has caused some people to ignore other equally important indicators of a fresh, structually sound book. Like David, I will take a c/ow fresh looking book with sharp corners and deep colors over a white paged book with a split or worn spine or faded/dull colors every time.

I don't think 5m will be a problem. Don't forget about all those curator FF's, they will bring huge money. And speaking of miller dark knights, there are a couple good ones too, plus the calvin & hobbes and whatever else.

Looks like Heritage may well reach $5M before the floor bidding starts.

Batman #1 is at $131,450.

Well, if the Bats #1 sells for this price, it's certainly going to make headlines alright, but for the wrong reasons. :tonofbricks:

What wrong reasons? ???

Let's see......Key DC GA book in grade selling for a substantial discount to guide while all other HG keys selling for multiples or at a substantial premium to condition guide. hm

I don't share the same feeling. I would pay a premium for a white page book in a slab. I would pay less for a lt tan/off white page book in a slab.

There is a lot of room between tan and white and even some margin for error in CGC grading as that's only an opinion that might even be influenced by the number of White and Off-White copies coming through at any one time. It isn't an exact science after all.

COW (Cream to Off White) is more common for GA book interiors, and while not the most desirable, it is perfectly acceptable. Off-White to White and White is much less common, but found often enough even outside of pedigree copies.

Given a choice, I'd take a White pager with flaws, raw of course, over most anything else.

Although, CR/OW will do on pricey stuff

Well, if the Bats #1 sells for this price, it's certainly going to make headlines alright, but for the wrong reasons. :tonofbricks:

What wrong reasons? ???

Let's see......Key DC GA book in grade selling for a substantial discount to guide while all other HG keys selling for multiples or at a substantial premium to condition guide. hm

I'd be shocked if it didn't take off at auction. All you are seeing now are thrill bidders.

Given a choice, I'd take a White pager with flaws, raw of course, over most anything else.

I prefer a fantastic exterior and white pages.

I prefer a fantastic exterior and white pages.

Who doesn't? (shrug)

What wrong reasons? ???

I'd be shocked if it didn't take off at auction. All you are seeing now are thrill bidders.

Yep. (thumbs u

I like how everybody unders the billy books and then when they get them they want a million dollars for them , face it , this collection rocks and the page quality of some of the better books are gonna be hard to top.

Mitch are you referring to your buddy? The irony is incredible. The majority of your posts are like reading the -script for that dreadful TV show Comic Book Men.

I share this view. Sure, page quality is important because it is often an indicator of the freshness of the book. However, the obsession over page quality has caused some people to ignore other equally important indicators of a fresh, structually sound book. Like David, I will take a c/ow fresh looking book with sharp corners and deep colors over a white paged book with a split or worn spine or faded/dull colors every time.

+1000

most of my tracking bids are starting to fall by the wayside (expectedly)...

2 of my 5 must wins I just had to multiple bid to get back on top...my other 3 are still holding !