• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Anyone else have teenage kids?

41 posts in this topic

I'm almost 36 years old, I have been married almost 16 years. I have a 9 year old son and a 15 year old daughter.

My wife and I had our children while we were young (and could afford it) so that when I kids are finally out of the house and in college, we would still be young enough to enjoy life...each other...you know.

Here's where it gets hairy...my daughter will be driving in September, we got her a decent car, fixed it up, so on and so forth...but the idea of her on the road SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME!!!

Anyone else got kids this age or been through it?

Did you have all the stuff kids nowadays have?

Did you buy your own first car?

AGHHHHH!!!! 893frustrated.gif893whatthe.gif893frustrated.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif yes. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Two girls 13 and almost 17. No drivers yet.

I bought my own first car, a 1966 Volkswagon Fastback in 1973 when I was 18. I paid $1,100. It had 60,000 miles on it.

My theory about young drivers is, they are less dangerous than the 75 year olds out there who have no reaction time left. No vision and no hearing.

The kids may hit the gas a bit, but as long as they aren't on the friggin cell phone, they can stop on a dime.

Hopefully the dime won't be in anyone's pocket at the time.

My 17 year old managed to loose her license only after 2 months mad.gif, she knew better, but wanted to be a nice girl and help mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif knowing she would get into trouble.

On one hand it was great that after 16 years of driving to pick her up on weekends has finally ended, but I definately have had the cold sweats when I gave her a car to drive. frown.gif

I bought my own first car

Me too... I didn't have 1/10 of the [!@#%^&^] my kid has frown.gif

Let me get this straight, you bought your teenage daughter her own car?

I hope you're stocked up on shotgun shells.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

yeah...we got her a 1999 Dodge Neon R/T, had the racing stripes removed, got her a killer stereo, rims, cold air intake and performance mods...etc. etc. etc.

she has to pay for her own insurance, that is the deal.

sabers_ride.jpg

Will be married 20 years this July (and still be under 40) and have six-year old twins to show for it.

Given how they drive their kid-sized shopping carts around the grocery store, I'm very afraid 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif of what driving will be like when they are of age.

The elder (more mechanically-inclined) was very excited at the suggestion that they might have to learn on flying cars. grin.gif

Neither my wife and I had our own cars as teenagers, and we look to continue that tradition.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

My girl is 14.5. I still freak out every time my wife lets her wear makeup. I can't even think about her driving.

I know, scary ain;t it? As they grow up...you hope and pray for beautiful children....then you get one...ACK!!!! foreheadslap.gif

893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gifpleasegetuglypleasegetuglepleasegetugly 893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

My daughter Ellen is 7 months old.

I hope when she is legal to drive, we will have Jetson space buggies smart cars, that let me track her with GPS, built in 2 way video phones, and breathalizer keyed ignition.

But then again if gas continues to go up, perhaps she will just ask me.. "Dad.. what was a car?, we talked about them in school today."

27_laughing.gif

Because I know I never ever did anything illeagle, or stupid in a car while I was a teenager...

err... NOT!!

I can only hope she is smarter, and or luckier then I was.

Good luck Steve, more then likely your daughter is a smart kid, and will be fine.

My girl is 14.5. I still freak out every time my wife lets her wear makeup. I can't even think about her driving.

I know, scary ain;t it? As they grow up...you hope and pray for beautiful children....then you get one...ACK!!!! foreheadslap.gif

893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gifpleasegetuglypleasegetuglepleasegetugly 893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Yea, if it were up to me she'd be about 180lbs with pimples over every inch.

Well that just might work... OG.

But then she would date a Fat pimply Comic Geek kid.. who thought Wizard First Rules!

But at least you and him would have something to talk about, before you kiked him to the curb!

Well that just might work... OG.

But then she would date a Fat pimply Comic Geek kid.. who thought Wizard First Rules!

But at least you and him would have something to talk about, before you kiked him to the curb!

No curbs where I live, just acres and acres of land where no one will ever notice a freshly filled hole. devil.gif

I have a son that is 19.

His driving could be better, but it could be a lot worse.

It was a task to get him compitent enough to drive.

My oldest daughter is 14.

She should be no problem behind the wheel because she has common sense.

However...Before her and my youngest daughter are out of high school, I'm sure I'll be put in prison.

Not long ago the oldest daughter had a boy that kept calling the house.

One night he calls after 11pm and I answered the phone.

He asks for my daughter and I said "Just what are your intentions with her?"

He goes speachless, then I said "There are 50 acres of woods in my back yard. If you call here again after 9pm...nobody will ever find your body." then I hung up on him.

That was almost a year ago, and he hasn't called the house since.

My daughter says he won't even talk to her at school anymore.

sorry.gif

I feel so... devil.gif

The thought of her driving on the roads scares you to death, so you buy her a car and soup it up?

Am I missing something here?

Ummmm, I was thinking the same thing. Steve? makepoint.gif

I have a son that is 19.

His driving could be better, but it could be a lot worse.

It was a task to get him compitent enough to drive.

My oldest daughter is 14.

She should be no problem behind the wheel because she has common sense.

However...Before her and my youngest daughter are out of high school, I'm sure I'll be put in prison.

Not long ago the oldest daughter had a boy that kept calling the house.

One night he calls after 11pm and I answered the phone.

He asks for my daughter and I said "Just what are your intentions with her?"

He goes speachless, then I said "There are 50 acres of woods in my back yard. If you call here again after 9pm...nobody will ever find your body." then I hung up on him.

That was almost a year ago, and he hasn't called the house since.

My daughter says he won't even talk to her at school anymore.

sorry.gif

I feel so... devil.gif

27_laughing.gif

The thought of her driving on the roads scares you to death, so you buy her a car and soup it up?

Am I missing something here?

Ummmm, I was thinking the same thing. Steve? makepoint.gif

well...I want her to have a nice car (for a kid).

damn kids are spoiled, computers, laptops, 36" TV, X-Box, phone line, cell phone, cable , cable modem... no sense in sending them to their room for punishment.

My 13 year old is already starting to ask what her 1st car will be.

I'm telling her it's gonna be the old Ford Ranger that I'm currently driving. The Mrs. has the minivan. It will be paid off in another 6 months and I think I'll keep it as long as possible.

I'm thinking that with a small cab vehicle she won't be the one that everyone else wants to ride with. She hates it of course, certainly not a chick mobile(not the picking up chicks kind).

But, the bottom line is the word - TEENAGER. Even the most cautious teenagers will be reckless. Think back to the things you did when 1st driving.....yep, probably 90% of us did the same thing(insert random silly Kaos comment) grin.gif