• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Off center cut books?

9 posts in this topic

Some of us feel it should, and some people refuse to buy books that have an off-center cut. But, CGC only grades according to structural defects, and does not take into consideration production defects of this type.

Some of the early Marvel issues were set up so that you either have a miswrap on the back but get the full Comics Code symbol on the left side front cover, or you have a nice alignment at the spine but lose a portion of the CC symbol. I lean more towards the miswrap on the back with the full CC symbol.

Some of us feel it should, and some people refuse to buy books that have an off-center cut. But, CGC only grades according to structural defects, and does not take into consideration production defects of this type.

Doesn't CGC consider this part of the attributes that comprise a 9.9 or 10.0 book? I always thought that those books (Mint) are utterly perfect in every aspect, including print production - from registration to bindery.

Is that right, or am I not correct?

I can see this factoring in on a gem mint book, but not a big deal as the grades get lower. It's a production defect, but with automated bindery equipment of that era, it would be expected.

I believe it's all preference on appeal vs. grading from CGC. I prefer books that are cut and wrapped as more to how they were intended. Case in point, TOS 39, where the last quotations in "Iron Man!" are either missing completely or there's only one "bunny ear". Give me two of 'em and I'm a happy camper!