• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CINCINNATI COMIC EXPO - SEPTEMBER 22 & 23

302 posts in this topic

[font:Comic Sans MS]CINCINNATI COMIC EXPO 9/22 – 9/23

**********EXPANDS IN 2012**********[/font]

DSC_1036.jpg

Check out the updated website:

http://cincinnaticomicexpo.com/index.php

DATES & TIMES

Friday, September 21

5:00pm – 8:00pm

Pros, Media & VIP only

Saturday, September 22

9:00am - 10:00am (VIP only)

10:00am - 5:00pm

Sunday, September 23

9:00am - 10:00am (VIP only)

10:00am - 4:00pm

ADMISSION

VIP Passholders - $65

Weekend Pass (Sat. & Sun.) - $25

Adult One Day Pass - $15

Children under 12 – Free!

Energy Convention Center, Hall C

January 27, 2012

THE CINCINNATI COMIC EXPO EXPANDS!

The Cincinnati Comic Expo always has maintained the goal to "make next year bigger and better than the previous year." For 2012, in only its 3rd year of existence, the Cincinnati Comic Expo is taking its largest leap to date and hosting the show on September 22nd and 23rd, a Saturday and a Sunday!

The Cincinnati Comic Expo has also continued to outgrow their confines of space and has decided to move to Exhibit Hall C of the Duke Energy Convention Center. Cincinnati Comic Expo Director Andrew Satterfield said, "The Cincinnati Comic Expo has been a complete success. After the inaugural event in 2010, the momentum for a 2-day show was rapidly building. The number one question I received from fans was always about the expansion of the show. Then the energy from our fans and vendors last year was overwhelming. They want us to take our event to the next level and they supported it by last year’s attendance increasing 40%! We are one of the fastest growing pop culture shows in Ohio."

These 2 decisions will be of great benefit to comic book dealers, comic book artists, comic book fans, and the City of Cincinnati. Dealers and artists now have more time to meet with fans and display their work. The location gives them more room and allows more to attend in what is quickly becoming a popular show. The fans now have more time to meet with their favorite artist, purchase comics, and enjoy the show. No more having to worry about the show closing in one-day and they can enjoy the atmosphere. "The main issue everyone has had with a one day event was time itself. We simply ran out of it. Programming and activities were limited because of scheduling constraints. Also, fans and vendors outside our region are hesitant to travel for a one day show. A weekend event finally allows us to do all the things we need to do to become a regional event. So you can expect more artists, vendors and activities," said Satterfield. The City of Cincinnati now has thousands of comic fans that will spend more time downtown between the exciting days of the show.

Tickets to the public are currently on sale. Tickets can be purchased at the door or people can purchase ahead on the Cincinnati Comic Expo website: www.cincinnaticomicexpo.com. The show has always stressed to people to purchase online ahead of time and avoid waiting in lines on the day of the show. This year, for the first time, the Cincinnati Comic Expo is also offering a Friday Preview Night for those that purchase the VIP package. Fans that purchase the package will have access to the show floor on Friday evening to browse and purchase comics and other merchandise from retailers before the rest of the general public has access the next day. The fans can follow the latest news and for the Cincinnati Comic Expo through Twitter and Facebook, and links to those can found on the website.

Registration for artists and vendors is currently open and available for submission. Registration forms can be found on the Cincinnati Comic Expo website: www.cincinnaticomicexpo.com.

The dates of the show do fall on the same weekend of Cincinnati’s famous Oktoberfest. The comic and guests and patrons from out-of-town have always found this event to be a unique "party" to attend afterwards and can give them a taste of Cincinnati in between the comic festivities of Saturday and Sunday. The Cincinnati Reds are also scheduled to host the Los Angeles Dodgers that weekend, and that can give the guests and patrons an excuse to catch a great baseball game by those Reds at Great American Ball Park. The continuation of the Cincinnati Comic Expo on this same weekend should make this weekend a busy, fun-filled time for the entire Tri-State.

The Cincinnati Comic Expo will keep the staples that have made it famous by showcasing local and national talent as well as the costume contest and the art auction. Plus, there will be many more exciting and new guests and events as well. More on those and details will be coming out in the weeks and months ahead. Satterfield concludes, "When we lift that curtain off the 2012 event I think people are going to be surprised. This is the year we break away and become the regional pop culture show everyone deserves. All of my creative energy has been focused into making sure the 2012 Cincinnati Comic Expo is a rocking success and soundly executed. We are going to blow fans’ minds with fresh new talent, programming and activities."

sliderDaveDorman.jpg

January 27, 2012

WE WELCOME THE #1 Star Wars Artist – DAVE DORMAN!

Voted the #1 Star Wars Artist by the fans worldwide, George Lucas owns more than 90 of Dave Dorman’s original oil paintings. Dave Dorman is a beloved figure and mentor in the comics industry, where he has created art for every major publisher and licensed character within the worlds of science fiction, fantasy and horror, including but not limited to Batman, Conan the Barbarian, Planet of the Apes, King Kong, Spiderman, Buckaroo Banzai, Captain America, Green Hornet, Green Lantern, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Lord of the Rings, G.I. Joe, Alien, Predator, World of Warcraft, Magic: The Gathering, and many more.

Dorman is an Eisner and Inkpot Award-winning artist for his contributions to the comic book industry (the comic book industry’s Oscar Award), and has been a featured guest many times at San Diego Comic-Con where he exhibits yearly in Booth #4500. Dorman is also an exhibitor at Star Wars Celebration events and Chicago’s C2E2.

Dorman’s own I.P., Steampunk motorcycle western The Wasted Lands, is relaunching in 2012. Dorman’s biography and career retrospective book, ROLLING THUNDER: THE ART OF DAVE DORMAN (IDW/Desperado Publishing) is available on Amazon. Dorman's pencil illustration and traditional oil painting tutorials are available through Hollywood's The Gnomon Workshop.

For more information, please visit http://davedorman.com.

Before I get started posting all the great things we have in store for 2012 I would like to walk down memory lane and share the beautiful posters that have been created to promote the show and creator appearances. As always the posters have been given away for free at the show services booth.

The first poster for 2012 is being illustrated by the legendary Jack Davis!

th_cincyposter1a.jpg

Pencils by Allen Bellman

Inks by Dan Davis

Colors by Gerry Turnbull

Lettering by Ferran Delgado

th_cincyposter2a.jpg

Art by Dave Aikins

th_cincyposter3a.jpg

Art by Luke Smarto

Lettering by Eric Adams

th_cincyposter4a.jpg

Art by Jose Delbo

Colors by Jerry Turnbull

Lettering by Ferran Delgado

th_cincyposter5a.jpg

Art by Steranko

th_Bellman.jpg

Limited to 150. Given away after Captain America panel

Pencils by Allen Bellman

Inks by Mitch Breitweiser

Colors by Elizabeth Breitweiser

I'm going to try and make it to this show! :wishluck::whee:

If you do, we will have fun. This is the best non-Chicago show in the Midwest. I look forward to CCE more than any other show

:blush: I don't care what Watson has to say about you. You are the best!

DO NOT WAIT TO MAKE YOUR HOTEL RESERVATION!

February 3, 2012

The weekend of the Cincinnati Comic Expo is also Oktoberfest Zinzinnati. Oktoberfest Zinzinnati is an event that takes place only 3 blocks from the convention center and attracts about half a million people. The Reds are also in town this same weekend. Hotel space will go quickly in downtown Cincinnati and at a premium. DO NOT WAIT TO SECURE YOUR HOTEL ROOM.

THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT WE HAVE SECURED SOME OF THE BEST RATES FOR YOU LISTED BELOW. PLEASE NOTE WE HAVE A LIMITED ROOM BLOCK.

cincyhotel.jpg

Millennium Hotel Cincinnati

150 West Fifth Street

Cincinnati, OH 45202-2393

(513) 352-2100

www.millenniumhotels.com

The Millennium Hotel Cincinnati is the "front door" to Cincinnati's Convention Center and is connected to the center by one of the city’s enclosed skywalks. Millennium Hotel Cincinnati, is the perfect hotel headquarters from which to experience the Queen City’s many offerings.

Rates:

Available only until August 22, 2012

Single Occupancy - $109.00

Double Occupancy - $109.00

Triple Occupancy - $124.00

Quad Occupancy - $139.00

In order to secure the special rate telephone callers must identify their affiliation with the "Cincinnati Comic Expo". Rates are available only until August 22, 2012

Hell yeah. Looking forward to this show. I can't wait to get a bunch more stuff signed and sketched at this show.

I really enjoyed this past show even though I was in mad pain from cracking a wisdom tooth in half. Had plenty of pain medicine though to make it through the show and to get my tooth pulled that night. :insane:

Hell yeah. Looking forward to this show. I can't wait to get a bunch more stuff signed and sketched at this show.

I really enjoyed this past show even though I was in mad pain from cracking a wisdom tooth in half. Had plenty of pain medicine though to make it through the show and to get my tooth pulled that night. :insane:

You had a cracked wisdom tooth during the show. I'm impressed you still came.

Somebody let me know if they can get this year's program SS'd. If it winds up being anything like the one from last year I would love to have one!

We will of course have a great program with pin-ups. The VIP package will have a variant cover.

You had a cracked wisdom tooth during the show. I'm impressed you still came.

I broke half of it out the night before. I spent 3 hours at an Emergency Dentist place for them to tell me you need to come back tomorrow for us to pull that. They gave me a bunch of vicodins though which I took them all during the show. :)

I had my VIP pass already paid for and plans to get with seanfingh and GACollectibles to get a bunch of stuff sketched, signed and submitted for my first sub for Sig Series stuff so there was no missing out on this one. Even with all the pain it was well worth it especially getting to hang out a bunch with everyone.

Sara-Richard-banner1.jpg

THE AMAZING SARA RICHARD WILL BE ATTENDING HER FIRST CCE!

February 9, 2012

Ever since I was a wee nugget, art has been a huge part of my life. Now at the ripe old age of 26, I will be having my first children's comic published in April 2012 called "Kitty and Dino" (published by Yen Press), I've also recently had pin ups published in "Atomic Robo", "Brimstone and the Borderhounds Presents Necrocide", Chris Moreno's "Zombie Dickheads", covers and pin ups for Gateway comics' "Stalker" and "Gateway Legends." (www.gatewaycomicsonline.com) My non comic art can also be seen in multiple issues of Prehistoric Times Magazine were I get to draw my favorite dinosaurs and other extinct animals. I've also been a part of Rittenhouse's Marvel:Dangerous Divas and Marvel Universe 2011, Versicolor's Bettie Page Private Collection, Perna Studio's Classic Mythology sketch cards and Breygent'sVampirella card set. And recently Upperdeck's Avengers Assemble and Marvel Beginnings 2.

I graduated from The Columbus College of Art & Design in May 2008 and landed a tempposition at Hasbro a few weeks later. I sculpted figures for Jurassic Park, GI Joe, Star Wars, Marvel and My Little Pony. My term was up in January 2008 and so I was thrust into the harsh wilderness that is freelancing. From that however, and between jobs from Hasbro, I began developing a style that incorporated my love of Art Nouveau and wildlife (mostly the extinct kind). It also opened up time for me to learn a little bit of hang-gliding too, which I think is an essential skill to have especially with no health insurance. Next up, the fine art of power kite jumping!

I love comics, toys, cartoons, anime, anything nerdy: I will devour it like a fat kid at IHOP. Cosplay is another one of my many geek-tacular activities. I’m a part of a cosplay team called Human Sushi with my two best friends, Abby and J’aimie (see our finer nerd-moments on the YouTube).

The little dinosaur thing I have can be summed up as this: “Dinosaurs are freaking cool.” I’ve been asked about this interest of mine many times and it confuses my why people think a fancy for dinosaurs need to be something you have to grow out of. I think I actually grew into it since I’ve always considered “Jurassic Park” one of my favorite movies, I didn’t actually become paleo-obsessed until senior year at CCAD.

A couple last tidbits be these: I’m heavily inspired by Japanese Ink Paintings (sumi-e) for their simplicity in composition, so much so that my signature is “Sara” in katakana (the Japanese alphabet system for foreign words and names.) and that I try to emulate the simplicity in my work. And also, I’m terrified of centipedes. Check out http://www.SaraRichard.com to see the beginnings of Paleo-Femmes, a couple other book projects and my current work!

SFSD-slidebanner.jpg

SCI-FI SPEED DATING COMES TO THE CINCINNATI COMIC EXPO

February 9, 2012

The Cincinnati Comic Expo looks to bring the new and the exciting to Cincinnati. The 2012 Cincinnati Comic Expo will be no different with the announcement that Sci-Fi Speed Dating will be participating in the upcoming show.

Sci-Fi Speed Dating travels the country to different sci-fi/comic/fantasy conventions to give like-minded ultra-fans a push in the right direction. Sci-Fi Speed Dating is so intriguing that it was the focus a television series, Geek Love, which aired on TLC.

“This idea came about after seeing something similar at another convention, but they did not know what they were doing, and it was no fun. People were getting up and leaving halfway through. I knew I could do better,” said Ryan Glitch, President of Sci-Fi Speed Dating.

Andrew Satterfield, Director of the Cincinnati Comic Expo said, “The Cincinnati Comic Expo is always looking for ways to enhance our fan experience. When I heard what Ryan was doing with Sci-Fi Speed Dating, I reached out to him. A quick phone call revealed that Ryan is not only a fun guy but he believes in Sci-Fi Speed Dating. His passion has created an unrivaled speed dating experience for fans that are looking for that like minded special someone to share in our culture.”

To participate in the speed dating at the Cincinnati Comic Expo, fans will have to pre-register. Soon, the Cincinnati Comic Expo will have registration available on the website, http://www.cincinnaticomicexpo.com/scifispeeddating.php. Depending on how many people participate, there will be at least one, maybe more, speed dating sessions. All sessions will be held in the afternoon on Saturday, 9/22/12, at the Duke Energy Convention Center. If there are cancellations or last minute open spots, then some people will be able to join the day of the show. Ryan explains, “Usually we have an equal number of guys and girls, and we welcome gay participants to sign up, as we have a way for everyone to speed date.”

While many would be skeptical of finding love at a comic convention, Ryan has evidence otherwise. “Our success rate is pretty good, 2 known engagements, and several other long term relationships have blossomed out of our service. We have been featured at MegaCon, New York Comic Con, Toronto Fan Expo, Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo (C2E2), Star Wars Celebration, Boston Super Mega Fest, and we are scheduled for Emerald City Comic Con and a few others this year,” stated Ryan.

Fans are asked to keep checking back for the registration forms and the time(s) for speed dating sessions. For those that still have questions or to see more, OWN (the Oprah Winfrey Network) is going to re-play the episodes of Geek Love. Geek Love will air starting at 8pm (EST) on Tuesday, 2/14, in back-to-back episodes. They will re-play again starting at 11pm. People are also encouraged to go the Sci-Fi Speed Dating Facebook site for listings of other shows: https://www.facebook.com/#!/SciFiSpeedDating. Sci-Fi Speeding Dating and fans of Geek Love are trying to get TLC or another television network to pick up the show again. Their discussions and campaign can be found at https://www.facebook.com/#!/GEEKLOVEonTLC.

Sci-Fi Speed Dating has never been to the Tri-State area and this becomes another first in the expansion of the Cincinnati Comic Expo in making it a “bigger and better show” for its fans and patrons. Andrew Satterfield said he wants people to have a good time and enjoy themselves, and then he adds, “I’m hoping that 2 of our fans fall in love and get hitched at a future Expo! Now that would be fun.”

Sara-Richard-banner1.jpg

THE AMAZING SARA RICHARD WILL BE ATTENDING HER FIRST CCE!

February 9, 2012

Ever since I was a wee nugget, art has been a huge part of my life. Now at the ripe old age of 26, I will be having my first children's comic published in April 2012 called "Kitty and Dino" (published by Yen Press), I've also recently had pin ups published in "Atomic Robo", "Brimstone and the Borderhounds Presents Necrocide", Chris Moreno's "Zombie Dickheads", covers and pin ups for Gateway comics' "Stalker" and "Gateway Legends." (www.gatewaycomicsonline.com) My non comic art can also be seen in multiple issues of Prehistoric Times Magazine were I get to draw my favorite dinosaurs and other extinct animals. I've also been a part of Rittenhouse's Marvel:Dangerous Divas and Marvel Universe 2011, Versicolor's Bettie Page Private Collection, Perna Studio's Classic Mythology sketch cards and Breygent'sVampirella card set. And recently Upperdeck's Avengers Assemble and Marvel Beginnings 2.

I graduated from The Columbus College of Art & Design in May 2008 and landed a tempposition at Hasbro a few weeks later. I sculpted figures for Jurassic Park, GI Joe, Star Wars, Marvel and My Little Pony. My term was up in January 2008 and so I was thrust into the harsh wilderness that is freelancing. From that however, and between jobs from Hasbro, I began developing a style that incorporated my love of Art Nouveau and wildlife (mostly the extinct kind). It also opened up time for me to learn a little bit of hang-gliding too, which I think is an essential skill to have especially with no health insurance. Next up, the fine art of power kite jumping!

I love comics, toys, cartoons, anime, anything nerdy: I will devour it like a fat kid at IHOP. Cosplay is another one of my many geek-tacular activities. I’m a part of a cosplay team called Human Sushi with my two best friends, Abby and J’aimie (see our finer nerd-moments on the YouTube).

The little dinosaur thing I have can be summed up as this: “Dinosaurs are freaking cool.” I’ve been asked about this interest of mine many times and it confuses my why people think a fancy for dinosaurs need to be something you have to grow out of. I think I actually grew into it since I’ve always considered “Jurassic Park” one of my favorite movies, I didn’t actually become paleo-obsessed until senior year at CCAD.

A couple last tidbits be these: I’m heavily inspired by Japanese Ink Paintings (sumi-e) for their simplicity in composition, so much so that my signature is “Sara” in katakana (the Japanese alphabet system for foreign words and names.) and that I try to emulate the simplicity in my work. And also, I’m terrified of centipedes. Check out http://www.SaraRichard.com to see the beginnings of Paleo-Femmes, a couple other book projects and my current work!

excellentmundo!

SFSD-slidebanner.jpg

SCI-FI SPEED DATING COMES TO THE CINCINNATI COMIC EXPO

February 9, 2012

The Cincinnati Comic Expo looks to bring the new and the exciting to Cincinnati. The 2012 Cincinnati Comic Expo will be no different with the announcement that Sci-Fi Speed Dating will be participating in the upcoming show.

Sci-Fi Speed Dating travels the country to different sci-fi/comic/fantasy conventions to give like-minded ultra-fans a push in the right direction. Sci-Fi Speed Dating is so intriguing that it was the focus a television series, Geek Love, which aired on TLC.

“This idea came about after seeing something similar at another convention, but they did not know what they were doing, and it was no fun. People were getting up and leaving halfway through. I knew I could do better,” said Ryan Glitch, President of Sci-Fi Speed Dating.

Andrew Satterfield, Director of the Cincinnati Comic Expo said, “The Cincinnati Comic Expo is always looking for ways to enhance our fan experience. When I heard what Ryan was doing with Sci-Fi Speed Dating, I reached out to him. A quick phone call revealed that Ryan is not only a fun guy but he believes in Sci-Fi Speed Dating. His passion has created an unrivaled speed dating experience for fans that are looking for that like minded special someone to share in our culture.”

To participate in the speed dating at the Cincinnati Comic Expo, fans will have to pre-register. Soon, the Cincinnati Comic Expo will have registration available on the website, http://www.cincinnaticomicexpo.com/scifispeeddating.php. Depending on how many people participate, there will be at least one, maybe more, speed dating sessions. All sessions will be held in the afternoon on Saturday, 9/22/12, at the Duke Energy Convention Center. If there are cancellations or last minute open spots, then some people will be able to join the day of the show. Ryan explains, “Usually we have an equal number of guys and girls, and we welcome gay participants to sign up, as we have a way for everyone to speed date.”

While many would be skeptical of finding love at a comic convention, Ryan has evidence otherwise. “Our success rate is pretty good, 2 known engagements, and several other long term relationships have blossomed out of our service. We have been featured at MegaCon, New York Comic Con, Toronto Fan Expo, Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo (C2E2), Star Wars Celebration, Boston Super Mega Fest, and we are scheduled for Emerald City Comic Con and a few others this year,” stated Ryan.

Fans are asked to keep checking back for the registration forms and the time(s) for speed dating sessions. For those that still have questions or to see more, OWN (the Oprah Winfrey Network) is going to re-play the episodes of Geek Love. Geek Love will air starting at 8pm (EST) on Tuesday, 2/14, in back-to-back episodes. They will re-play again starting at 11pm. People are also encouraged to go the Sci-Fi Speed Dating Facebook site for listings of other shows: https://www.facebook.com/#!/SciFiSpeedDating. Sci-Fi Speeding Dating and fans of Geek Love are trying to get TLC or another television network to pick up the show again. Their discussions and campaign can be found at https://www.facebook.com/#!/GEEKLOVEonTLC.

Sci-Fi Speed Dating has never been to the Tri-State area and this becomes another first in the expansion of the Cincinnati Comic Expo in making it a “bigger and better show” for its fans and patrons. Andrew Satterfield said he wants people to have a good time and enjoy themselves, and then he adds, “I’m hoping that 2 of our fans fall in love and get hitched at a future Expo! Now that would be fun.”

Maybe Sean will find true love :wishluck: