• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show off your first OA purchase!

94 posts in this topic

My first commission was by Alfredo Alcala. I really liked his inking on Conan, and when I saw him at SDCC in 1977, I asked him to draw Prince Valiant.

PrinceValiantAlcala.jpg

My first published art page was by John Totleben and Stephen Bisette from Swamp Thing #17, and I bought that in the early 80s.

SwampE.jpg

Lost of cool art and stories here. That Totleben Swamp Thing page is friggin great. I love the art for this series around this time.

My first piece of art that I bought was for the best man at my wedding back in 1999, and it was a con sketch of Spider Man by John Romita Jr. In hindsight, I should have gotten something done for myself by him and Romita Sr who was there doing sketches. That's the great thing about hindsight.

Not really sure why I didn't start sooner, but my first page of comic art that I bought was in 2009 and came from Ebay where I stumbled upon it accidentially. It was a page from the Justice League of America Annual #1. I had always loved the Justice League series and to own a page of art from it seemed pretty cool. Art by Rick Hoberg and Giordano. I sniped it for a pretty low price and this started me on the path to getting more and more original art.

Justice%20League%20Annual%201%20pg%2025%20Rick%20Hoberg.jpg

My first commission was by Alfredo Alcala. I really liked his inking on Conan, and when I saw him at SDCC in 1977, I asked him to draw Prince Valiant.

PrinceValiantAlcala.jpg

That's really nice. Alcala inking Buscema on Conan was a perfect combination.

This is the first piece of art I ever bought, in 1998 or 1999 I think. The perfect cover, it features my favorite hero rendered by my favorite artist. Mike Grell's Longbow Hunters and his 1988 Green Arrow series were the best, and one else even came close. Big thanks to Jim Warden for selling me this cover many, many years ago in San Diego. I still have it.

6776183928_ef5c136dde_z.jpg

What a great thread and fun read - left lots of comments.

I picked up my first artwork at a con in the early 2000s in the way of 2 pre-done pieces by Greg Titus who was set with (or just next to) Scottie Young. I love both of their art styles but Scottie did not have anything for sale. I marveled at the original drawings and spent a good portion of my budget on them. It would be several years before I bought more art or even thought about published pages as a possible collecting hobby as I was squarely focused on collecting statues.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=775411

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=775409

First comic art buy, saw it a clink auction when I somehow ended up in their OA section, and saw this. I put a throw away bid thinking I probably wouldn't get it but did; it was the cheapest thing I got in that auction (the shipping for it cost more). I still have it, and don't plan on ever selling it either.

yBrfuL9Y_3001161510561.jpg

$(KGrHqN,!i0E2LTz+FBBBNtb!Fho1w~~_3.jpg

This is a GI Joe page of Clayton Brown's inks over a blueline of Robert Atkins' pencils. It probably doesn't seem that big of a deal, but it means something to me. It's comic art. From GI Joe. And Snake Eyes is wearing a New York Mets shirt. It's an image that perfectly captures my childhood.

My first OA purchase was a Keown Hulk page.

I bought it in the early 90's, Keown was still drawing the series.

I had not much money and it was a bit expensive because very fashionable (I had to make a three time payment for it).

All the charachers seen in the series at the time are drawn, a bit of action and a lousy pun : not so bad afterall...

DSCN8366_zps16f24ca1.jpg

Amazing to see the variety in how collectors started the hobby. From simple sketches to amazing covers and everything in between. I was definitely very measured in my approach and my spending climbed incrementally as time went by and I learned more about the hobby and loosened my wallet. It is also interesting to see how many people still have their first piece vs those who have long ago let them move along. Great thread.

I re-scanned my first commission on my new HP Officejet 7612 11x17 capable scanner ($180 at Office Depot just before Christmas). The piece was too large for my old 8.5x11 one.

O63iVN5Z_3101161636401.jpg

It's nice to be able to show the entire piece. If you click it and look at the Addition Images, you can see a colored version.