• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looks like another weak OA auction at Heritage in May!

137 posts in this topic

S
I can see no interest whatsoever in these pieces...and I'm sure nothing else decent will be offered...

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7059&lotIdNo=29001

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7059&lotIdNo=52001

I just got in another piece for the auction that I don't think anybody will have any interest in.....

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7059&lotIdNo=27002

Wish I had the $ to buy this one! :cry:

Didn't another dealer have this for sale? Congrats on scoring another great consignment, Steve!

Yup, that would be me.

It certainly isn't fresh since I had the cover at San Diego last year and only gave the art back to the consignor in November. It was on my site for several months too.

MI

Sorry, I did not know that. My bad. :sorry:

The consigner never gave me that info (Not that he needed to) and I did not see it in SD last year.

I remember seeing the Hawkman cover 2 years ago in SD (2010). I think I even took pics of it.

Don't remember if I saw it last year.

Any guesses as to what the Neal Adams Batman Hostess Twinkie ad might go for?

Just curious, does the fact that this page features twinkies ruin it for most people, or it there some nostalgia appeal for Hostess ads?

I don't know.

Speaking personally, I love it for the twinkies. (And the mummy.)

Honestly, I see very little Neal Adams here. Looks like a lot of D i c k Giordano to me.

Scott Williams

It's been attributed in the past to D. Giordano (see Comic Book Artist Collection Volume 3, p. 91, published 2005), though, frankly, having just read a good chunk of Giordano's Bronze Age Wonder Woman issues, it really does not look like pure Giordano to me - I do see a lot of Adams in the page. There are certain elements that look totally Giordano (like the woman's face in the last panel), but the angles/expressions of Bats & Robin (in the 1st & 6th panels especially) look classically Adams to me, as well as the distance shots of the archaeologist and his daughter. I'd be surprised if Adams didn't at least have some editorial/creative input into the page, if not doing the actual layouts or pencils himself.

I do wonder what happened with the attribution change, though - did the owner or Heritage ask Neal himself? Steve Borock, are you reading this and do you know the answer? I just submitted an inquiry to Heritage online regarding the matter.

Honestly, I see very little Neal Adams here. Looks like a lot of D i c k Giordano to me.

Scott Williams

It's been attributed in the past to D. Giordano (see Comic Book Artist Collection Volume 3, p. 91, published 2005), though, frankly, having just read a good chunk of Giordano's Bronze Age Wonder Woman issues, it really does not look like pure Giordano to me - I do see a lot of Adams in the page. There are certain elements that look totally Giordano (like the woman's face in the last panel), but the angles/expressions of Bats & Robin (in the 1st & 6th panels especially) look classically Adams to me, as well as the distance shots of the archaeologist and his daughter. I'd be surprised if Adams didn't at least have some editorial/creative input into the page, if not doing the actual layouts or pencils himself.

I do wonder what happened with the attribution change, though - did the owner or Heritage ask Neal himself? Steve Borock, are you reading this and do you know the answer? I just submitted an inquiry to Heritage online regarding the matter.

I did not know that this had been attributed to Giordano in the past. So how then did this get re-attributed to Adams? Anyone following comics from this period and watching Giordano take on more and more penciling gigs knows that while Giordano could certainly draw, he would very often "borrow" past Adams work and make it his own. I don't know if this was to speed the process of getting the work done or to capitalize on the Adams aesthetic that was state of the art at the time or something else. Either way, the Adams characteristics in this ad seem to follow the methodology of Giordano to make the whole look as Adamsy as possible, and inked in the singular Giordano style. While I certainly can't rule out Adams had *some* hand in this piece, I would personally bid on it with the assumption that it was pure Giordano. But that's just my humble opinion.

Scott Williams

Scott Williams

Gene,

I will look into this and get some info for us. (thumbs u