• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looks like another weak OA auction at Heritage in May!

137 posts in this topic

Love 55 FF artwork.

However, when I looked at the zoom in of the page, the inks look different than I would have expected. They don't feel very Sinnott. Strange.

I thought exactly the same thing when I took a closer look - it really does not feel very Sinnott to me either. hm

OK, I'm totally missing what's going on here. Is this a head fake of some sort?

Scott

Hey Scott

It's probably Sinnott in a rushed moment. I've held dozens of Sinnott inked pieces in my hands and it just looked a little different to me. I am sure there are guys who have seen more than I have and I would love to hear their thoughts. I can't place my finger on what it is so I will chalk it up to him being a little rushed on this page perhaps.

I understand now. I used to own the half splash page where Ben punches Silver Surfer through the wall of this same issue, and the inks looked like this one, hence my confusion. I will say that this particular page is inked almost completely in brush, with just a few details inked by pen. Maybe that makes the inks seem a little softer. It's funny that you mentioned the Sinnot inking on those FF pages in the last Heritage auction because I thought some of those pages looked "off" to me, but in a very different way. If you look at the large scans, much of the line art in the PEN work bled very badly (the brush work was fine). I had never seen that on Silver Age Marvel art before and had always assumed that they had great paper that precluded that from happening. It's something that I am sensitive to because so much of the paper that I ink on today is just terrible and my own inks bleed just like those 45 year old Sinnot inked pages. I had thought lousy paper was a recent phenomena, but I was wrong.

On the other subject, I think this is a terrific page and interest will be high, but no way is this a six figure page, and I don't think it will hit that. Just my opinion of course.

Scott

.....could also be Sinnot reaching the end of the lifespan for yet another brush....or possibly the first page of the morning before the coffee kicks in. I've also noticed weak inking to sometimes correspond to an Annual in the works simultaneously. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

This could be an incredible expensive auction for me. There are several pages I really want.
there's one page I really want...I just wonder if I can hm

Not so weak anymore.... I'm interested in a few things, but the cost and the fact that there aren't any Transformers pieces is sapping my will to bid. I dunno if I should just keep saving or finally make an OA purchase of something different....

This could be an incredible expensive auction for me. There are several pages I really want.

....you have a high profile business in a vibrant emerging market......You'll get another Action 1, but once that Surfer page is gone....it's,.....well...., gone. GOD BLESS...

....you have a high profile business in a vibrant emerging market......You'll get another Action 1, but once that Surfer page is gone....it's,.....well...., gone. GOD BLESS...

:o

:o

....I hope that's the page you're after and that you get it. That's a grail that the newness will never wear off of. GOD BLESS....

I'm very happy to see so many big pages. I'm hoping they may keep some of the BSD money and attention away from a few bottom feeder pages I'd like to get. :wishluck:

As a Kirby fan, I'm biased.....but that Surfer page has to be the most iconic page I've seen go public yet. GOD BLESS....

Its a beautiful page for sure. Gorgeous.

Pricewise, I have to admit I didn't think it would be a 100k candidate though. I can see I was sorely mistaken.

I said early on that I did not think there was a chance that this page would hit 6 figures, and I love this page. Looks like I was wrong. This hobby continues to astound me.

Scott Williams

.....I love Frank Miller.....but I would take the 450K Dark Knight page off my wall to make room for this one. GOD BLESS....

P.S. I love your posts, by the way.

Ya know, I'm not - its one of the iconic images from the SA and this might be someone's only chance to own it in their lifetime. If you've got the pockets those to things are pretty motivational.

Now if it cracks 150K I'd be a tad :o

2c

Its a beautiful page for sure. Gorgeous.

Pricewise, I have to admit I didn't think it would be a 100k candidate though. I can see I was sorely mistaken.

+1, I am very shocked at the price.

:sorry: