• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Bronze Romance Books
9 9

269 posts in this topic

Everyone else's books are about a thousand times nicer than mine, but I thought I'd post here anyway. I just bought a large lot of DC romance, running from 1965-1975. The final haul was 92 issues for the cost of $180, or $2 each. Most of them are low grade readers, but there are some solid mid-grade books mixed in.

I'm getting them in a couple batches, so I've only received the Girls' Love Stories issues so far, but here are a some of the nicer looking ones I picked up, which are probably in the 5.0-6.5 range (and which could all benefit significantly from a cleaning and a press).

I'm pretty happy with these for two bucks each (even if the lady on #164 with no pupils is creeping me out):

gls159.jpg

gls160.jpg

gls161.jpg

gls164.jpg

gls167.jpg

gls174.jpg

Edited by Crimebuster

gls174.jpg

I've found this to be a VERY tough book to find in solid shape. I'd love a decent copy.

This copy is pretty nice. It has a couple issues, the main one being the small chip out of the bottom right front cover, which you can see in this photo. There's a slight overhang along right right edge, which is why in this photo it's slightly bent over, especially at the top right front corner, but those bends are non-color breaking other than a very tiny bit at the top corner. There are also some spine ticks, though it's not too egregious, and a couple non-color breaking wrinkles above the DC logo on the top edge.

Gloss is really high and the book is flat and tight though, so I'm pretty happy with it for sure.

The lot actually came with a second copy of this issue as well that also looks very nice at first glance. I actually thought at first that the second copy was nicer, as it has better corners. But upon closer inspection, it has some vertical stress creases along the spine that limit its potential. Someone also at some point was doing math on a piece of paper on top of the book, so if you tilt it, there are indentations of math equations all over the cover :makepoint: I think those might be pressable, but the color-breaking stress lines cap how high it could go.

If I could combine the two books, it would be perfect! hm

Here's a picture of the two copies side by side. The second copy is the one on the right. You can see the short stress lines that run parallel to the spine, starting about halfway up the book in her hair and running up to the thought balloon. Not terrible, but not pressable either. Looks pretty nice, right?:

SAM_0195.jpg

But... math. doh!

SAM_0191.jpg

Use a calculator for god's sake!

I received the rest of my romance comics lot today. 67 silver and bronze age DC romance comics. :banana:

Most of them were low grade. I'd say maybe 15-20 were in the 4.5-6.0 range, the rest were beat but complete readers. Some good stuff here, including Girls' Romances #109 with the girl daydreaming about the Beatles on the cover.

The whole pile was just under $2 each, so I am pretty doggone stoked.

SAM_0230.jpg

SAM_0234.jpg

Edited by Crimebuster

I hate it when Greggy's right. About 4 times a year, he tells me I don't know what's in my collection anymore.

Well, today, I was searching for my 35 cent variant of Iron Fist 14 to sell. And instead, I came across these. No idea I had them. From what I can tell from the surrounding books and boards, I must have picked them up in the late 90's while hunting for variants. Boards were marked $3 each, so I probably paid a buck a piece. Pretty solid copies.

(sorry for the crappy scans, but I'm in a rush)

CCF01062013_00004_zps987ea8f9.jpg

CCF01062013_00003_zps7070626b.jpg

CCF01062013_00002_zps1f980d4a.jpg

CCF01062013_00001_zpsc10b1518.jpg

CCF01062013_00000_zps6a7b7fb8.jpg

Edited by underthebigw