• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
32 32

3,550 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, androolx said:

Got this a few days ago on eBay.  It was a fixed price listing that had been up for a few hours.  Happened to be in the right place at the right time.

20180320_191855.jpg

Awesome pick up!  Does this mean I over spent on every Variant I purchased for more than $4?  ?.  

22 hours ago, androolx said:

Got this a few days ago on eBay.  It was a fixed price listing that had been up for a few hours.  Happened to be in the right place at the right time.

20180320_191855.jpg

There was a time when I would have said that book was the second most difficult of them all. 

1 minute ago, ShieldAgent said:

There was a time when I would have said that book was the second most difficult of them all. 

Interesting.  How do you rank the top few most difficult now?  It does seem like I have seen more Ringo Kid 27s than 28s at least.

7 minutes ago, androolx said:

Interesting.  How do you rank the top few most difficult now?  It does seem like I have seen more Ringo Kid 27s than 28s at least.

Just my opinion, individual luck may vary:

KC208, RK134, KC207, TGK129, WWT15

after that would be the following:

DS14 orange starburst, KC205/206/209, RK133, MMW45, Ringo 28, TGK131, TOD 20/21

You know I think it goes in cycles, for a loooooooong time I thought it was KC208 and WWT15.  Then 3-4 years ago 5-6 WWTs hit the market in a short period of time.  I still think the KCs are all just tough.  I think the Ringo 28 had a bit to do with the original 30c Variant site that went up as it was the book pictured for the 30s.  I would have said KC205 (non-starburst KC) but 3 more of those have surfaced in the last 2 years. I also think that once a variant collector gets their copy of a toughie  ^^they tend to diminish its rarity.  These are some that took me a long time to find.

RawhideKid133(30c).jpg

Kid-Colt205(30c).jpg

RingoKid28(30c).jpg

WWT15(30c).jpg

On 3/21/2018 at 9:26 PM, ShieldAgent said:

Just my opinion, individual luck may vary:

KC208, RK134, KC207, TGK129, WWT15

after that would be the following:

DS14 orange starburst, KC205/206/209, RK133, MMW45, Ringo 28, TGK131, TOD 20/21

Great list Harry... I mostly agree with the only difference being I would move TGK 131 up to #7 behind DS#14 variant and move WWT15 up to #3 or #4. 

I havent been tracking these much in the past few years so you are probably more accurate but those are my “toughies” list. I’d be interested what current 30 cent variant hunters think as you and I completed our sets well over a decade ago. 

Good to talk about these again... it has been awhile.

3 minutes ago, Metarog said:

Great list Harry... I mostly agree with the only difference being I would move TGK 131 up to #7 behind DS#14 variant and move WWT15 up to #3 or #4. 

I havent been tracking these much in the past few years so you are probably more accurate but those are my “toughies” list. I’d be interested what current 30 cent variant hunters think as you and I completed our sets well over a decade ago. 

Good to talk about these again... it has been awhile.

Hey Roger.  I was asked a question, and actually struggled to give a good answer, hence the individual luck comment.  I didn't even suggest the waiting in line chivalry that occurred that made multiple people end up with the same last book be on the first line.

That said, the top five are from my observations since around 2001-2002.  I don't see everything, or track them like I did when we were over at STL, but I would bet the top five or six are not going to change.

So consider the first five as a tier, and the second 10 as another tier.  The second tier we can probably mix and shuffle and I really wasn't meaning to imply that the DS was more rare than say a KC or TKG.  It is my belief that SGT Fury and COC are no longer in the top two tiers.

On 3/24/2018 at 10:35 PM, ShieldAgent said:

Hey Roger.  I was asked a question, and actually struggled to give a good answer, hence the individual luck comment.  I didn't even suggest the waiting in line chivalry that occurred that made multiple people end up with the same last book be on the first line.

That said, the top five are from my observations since around 2001-2002.  I don't see everything, or track them like I did when we were over at STL, but I would bet the top five or six are not going to change.

So consider the first five as a tier, and the second 10 as another tier.  The second tier we can probably mix and shuffle and I really wasn't meaning to imply that the DS was more rare than say a KC or TKG.  It is my belief that SGT Fury and COC are no longer in the top two tiers.

Yes, that makes sense... it is just fun to nitpick these details sometimes. I agree that Fury and COC are a tier below as I could have gotten several copies back in the day.

Good stuff... still like talking variants after all these years. 

I know this thread is mostly about Marvels, but there's a listing on ebay for the rare 35c Amethyst #2 variant that ends today. It's mislabelled, and has gone unnoticed - currently sitting at about $1.

i would grab it myself, but the seller only ships inside the United States.

Here's the listing (which, obviously, is not mine):

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Amethyst-Princess-of-Gem-World-4-35-cent-Variant-Edition-Rare-Fine/323160894524?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Here's  weird one - a Daredevil #69 (1970, so on the silver/bronze cusp) that has Sparta Illinois guts and the cover price is "1/-" I'm stumped & google is getting me nowhere - anyone know what this is?

hardcover 180122 86.jpeg

17 minutes ago, JROUG said:

Here's  weird one - a Daredevil #69 (1970, so on the silver/bronze cusp) that has Sparta Illinois guts and the cover price is "1/-" I'm stumped & google is getting me nowhere - anyone know what this is?

hardcover 180122 86.jpeg

Pence copy! :headbang:

Edited by Get Marwood & I

On 3/23/2018 at 1:21 PM, jbud73 said:

You know I think it goes in cycles, for a loooooooong time I thought it was KC208 and WWT15.  Then 3-4 years ago 5-6 WWTs hit the market in a short period of time.  I still think the KCs are all just tough.  I think the Ringo 28 had a bit to do with the original 30c Variant site that went up as it was the book pictured for the 30s.  I would have said KC205 (non-starburst KC) but 3 more of those have surfaced in the last 2 years. I also think that once a variant collector gets their copy of a toughie  ^^they tend to diminish its rarity.  These are some that took me a long time to find.

RawhideKid133(30c).jpg

Kid-Colt205(30c).jpg

RingoKid28(30c).jpg

WWT15(30c).jpg

Very nice!

never get tired of seeing these(worship)

Sunday saw some very interesting results on the 35 cent variants.

There were a boatload of 35 centers that sold for as low as under $10 including some tough reprints like MSH #65 and Marvel Triple Action #37.

Of course the the two books I wanted went much higher than expectedlol

I did have the satisfaction of pushing This book to the point of insanity before losing out. Kind of nice consolation knowing the winner had to way over-pay and the sale will not be in GPA:tink:

Did anyone else think that lower corner on this book looked very suspicious for a trim?

Edited by NP_Gresham

16 minutes ago, NP_Gresham said:

Sunday saw some very interesting results on the 35 cent variants.

There were a boatload of 35 centers that sold for as low as under $10 including some tough reprints like Hulk #65 and Marvel Triple Action #37.

Of course the the two books I wanted went much higher than expectedlol

I did have the satisfaction of pushing This book to the point of insanity before losing out. Kind of nice consolation knowing the winner had to way over-pay and the sale will not be in GPA:tink:

Did anyone else think that lower corner looked very suspicious for a trim?

Price Variant Club Rule #7 ( #7 - 35 cent variant collectors are insane. )