• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ninja Turtles - Differences Between Printings?
8 8

370 posts in this topic

Re: the $23k 9.8... I got a PM from Litch. CGC spotted this back in August and swapped out the 9.8 3rd print for a 9.8 1st print. The buyer was made whole and the mistake corrected.

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean CGC swapped the labels or the comic?

If it was a comic, was the comic graded to be 9.8? If so, how many 9.8s are there now?

If it was a label, is the comic within the case still a 3rd print and they're just calling it a 1st print?

It means what it means. There was a 9.8 3rd print that received a 1st print label. CGC realized it when they saw it on Pedigree back in August and they have "taken care of it" by "replacing it with a 1st print 9.8". Commenting any further would be pure speculation.

True. The mystery continues...

As a customer I'd love to know what really happened. Probably never will though.

:popcorn:

Re: the $23k 9.8... I got a PM from Litch. CGC spotted this back in August and swapped out the 9.8 3rd print for a 9.8 1st print. The buyer was made whole and the mistake corrected.

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean CGC swapped the labels or the comic?

If it was a comic, was the comic graded to be 9.8? If so, how many 9.8s are there now?

If it was a label, is the comic within the case still a 3rd print and they're just calling it a 1st print?

It means what it means. There was a 9.8 3rd print that received a 1st print label. CGC realized it when they saw it on Pedigree back in August and they have "taken care of it" by "replacing it with a 1st print 9.8". Commenting any further would be pure speculation.

True. The mystery continues...

As a customer I'd love to know what really happened. Probably never will though.

:popcorn:

I think it's safe to say (from a customer perspective), CGC messed up, they caught it, then cleaned up the mess.

Where do you find a CGC 9.8 copy of Turtles #1 since I thought non of these existed until after the Turtles #1 3rd print was mislabeled. Would that not mean that a book which had a 9.6 label was quickly relabeled to be a 9.8 by the CGC staff?

hm

We will never know.

Where do you find a CGC 9.8 copy of Turtles #1 since I thought non of these existed until after the Turtles #1 3rd print was mislabeled. Would that not mean that a book which had a 9.6 label was quickly relabeled to be a 9.8 by the CGC staff?

hm

We will never know.

Telerites had a 9.8 TMNT #1 prior to the mis-labelled copy showing up for auction.

hm

We will never know.

Occam's Razor provides that the most likely place that they got the replacement book is from whomever got the mislabeled 3rd print that actually had a 1st print inside it. You pay that guy what he paid for the 3rd print plus a little juice and voila, problem solved.

hm

We will never know.

Occam's Razor provides that the most likely place that they got the replacement book is from whomever got the mislabeled 3rd print that actually had a 1st print inside it. You pay that guy what he paid for the 3rd print plus a little juice and voila, problem solved.

Well, if we're going with Occam I'd think your suggestion might be a tad bit more complex than if they simply took some HG #1 they had at the office and "graded" it a 9.8...

hm

We will never know.

That's assuming the person had a 1st print and not a 3rd print all along that was mislabeled. hm

hm

We will never know.

Well, if we're going with Occam I'd think your suggestion might be a tad bit more complex than if they simply took some HG #1 they had at the office and "graded" it a 9.8...

:headbang:

hm

We will never know.

I think you're confusing CGC with PGX :thumbsup:

hm

We will never know.

No, what I'm honestly confused with is how easily CGC was able to rectify this complex situation. I mean, is it that easy to simply get another #1 9.8? I guess if they simply paid the auction buyer 23K I'd get it...but to replace with another actual book in 9.8?

That said, I don't want to imply there is something afoul going on here. My comment really was in response to sean, who basically said that the simplest answer involved tracking down the owner of the mislabled 3rd print that is actually a 1st print, making them an offer, having him accept and mail back, and then sending said book on to the 23k buyer. I think it'd be much simpler to do as I said. The other thing to note is this comment regarding a PM from Litch as to what occured:

There was a 9.8 3rd print that received a 1st print label.

Which basically means there is NOT another #1 9.8 out there. That in the end there was only a 3rd print 9.8 that was mislabeled; never an additional 1st print in 9.8. Seeing as how that means instead of 5 books on census there should only be 4, that makes alot tougher, though not impossible, to get ahold of one to apease Mr. 23k. (shrug)

Also, will the census be corrected?

hm

We will never know.

That's assuming the person had a 1st print and not a 3rd print all along that was mislabeled. hm

It also assumes that CGC has a lot more knowledge of where an actual 9.8 1st print was and who might have it than a bunch of keyboard monkeys here on the interwebz. ;)

hm

We will never know.

No, what I'm honestly confused with is how easily CGC was able to rectify this complex situation. I mean, is it that easy to simply get another #1 9.8? I guess if they simply paid the auction buyer 23K I'd get it...but to replace with another actual book in 9.8?

That said, I don't want to imply there is something afoul going on here. My comment really was in response to sean, who basically said that the simplest answer involved tracking down the owner of the mislabled 3rd print that is actually a 1st print, making them an offer, having him accept and mail back, and then sending said book on to the 23k buyer. I think it'd be much simpler to do as I said. The other thing to note is this comment regarding a PM from Litch as to what occured:

Which basically means there is NOT another #1 9.8 out there. That in the end there was only a 3rd print 9.8 that was mislabeled; never an additional 1st print in 9.8. Seeing as how that means instead of 5 books on census there should only be 4, that makes alot tougher, though not impossible, to get ahold of one to apease Mr. 23k. (shrug)

Who's to say they didn't get the actual first print 9.8 and stick the first print label (that was on the 3rd print) on it.

Without more information you're just spitting in the wind.

hm

We will never know.

Who's to say they didn't get the actual first print 9.8 and stick the first print label (that was on the 3rd print) on it.

Oh, absolutely; there's a definite lack of info to make any sort of firm statement. I'm just working off the post you made about what Litch said. In that message there was nothing about CGC confirming there being a new actual 1st print 9.8; you only made mention specifically of a 3rd print being mislabeled. If there was more to your PM where CGC confirmed that they also had a 1st print 9.8 that was also mislabeled then that changes everything.

Without all of these details, we'll all be windspitters! (thumbs u But that's what we do around these here boards so tis nothing new.

Oh, absolutely; there's a definite lack of info to make any sort of firm statement. I'm just working off the post you made about what Litch said. In that message there was nothing about CGC confirming there being a new actual 1st print 9.8; you only made mention specifically of a 3rd print being mislabeled. If there was more to your PM where CGC confirmed that they also had a 1st print 9.8 that was also mislabeled then that changes everything.

Without all of these details, we'll all be windspitters! (thumbs u But that's what we do around these here boards so tis nothing new.

Aside from some veiled references to his genitalia (or maybe that was something to do with the French Renaissance... I get those two confused all the time) all he said was, "we found a 9.8 1st print to make square with the owner back in august".

Spit away.

It would be great to get some info directly from CGC. If they made public what happened and what they did to rectify the situation we wouldn't be spitting out "what if's" and my confidence and loyalty to CGC would be restored.

spit spit..... :shy:

They made a mistake. They fixed the mistake. Do you want a daily journal of activities of everything they do? Seriously?

They made a mistake. They fixed the mistake. Do you want a daily journal of activities of everything they do? Seriously?

No kidding. WTH?! They made it right, and we all received a super education. Why beat this horse to a pulp?

Thanks to Stronguy and CGC for taking this one down quickly before it became a real issue.

The fix is interesting. 2c

It's a book that sold for $23,000 and only 5 copies exist on the census. It's not ASM #300.

If the statement was we bought (insert one of the 5 owners) copy and gave it to the new buyer everyone would be agreeing with you and saying :golfclap:(worship) CGC.

I'm not saying there was fowl play or anything. I just agree the new replacement for such a rare book appearing is well... interesting. 2c