• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ninja Turtles - Differences Between Printings?
8 8

370 posts in this topic

So now... from what I have gained from the last 14 pages is this.

I cannot buy a 1st print, high grade, slabbed TMNT # 1 with grading services from either PGX or CGC without the risk of possibly getting a second printing.

To make matters worse... if I buy a raw copy and miss any restoration when I buy it... then I'm equally screwed.

Only way to win is buy a trade paperback and enjoy the story :)

I cannot buy a 1st print, high grade, slabbed TMNT # 1 with grading services from either PGX or CGC without the risk of possibly getting a second printing.

Incorrect. There has not been a single documented case of a second print being in a first print slab.

Not to mention that if this is a CGC label screw-up it's not like that's the first time it's ever happened - it's particularly grievous in this case due to the high dollar value of the book, but I've seen zero evidence so far that CGC, across the board, isn't able to correctly identify 1st, 2nd and 3rd prints of this book.

To make matters worse... if I buy a raw copy and miss any restoration when I buy it... then I'm equally screwed.

Incorrect, you missed this on page 10.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5504932#Post5504932

Incorrect. There has not been a single documented case of a second print being in a first print slab.

Yet you mean ;)

Incorrect, you missed this on page 10.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5504932#Post5504932

Ahhhh :foryou:

Hey guys, new member here. Been collecting for a long time now. I was wondering if any of your expertise could help determine if these scans were of a 1st print or 2nd print? Any help is greatly appreciated!

123547.jpg.dbe6d83167371c05b7f4b2f576b95ada.jpg

123548.jpg.b1365078c59ac08833741eb94ad3e16f.jpg

123549.jpg.3b8e0e8b219e1491351b9cef713d3859.jpg

First print.
Thanks for your quick reply! It's actually a buddies that I'm thinking of purchasing. He wants $1650 for it. Thinking of pulling the trigger.

Here's the latest sales on GPA records for a CGC 7.5

Feb-23-2011 $1,100

Jan-16-2011 $975 Cert# 0939366001

Jan-08-2011 $1,050 Cert# 0170884001

Last sale was a year ago and they've gone up a bit since then. On the other hand, his doesn't have white pages. I wouldn't pay more than $1300 for it MAX. An 8.5 with white pages just sold on Ebay for $1400, though I think that was a really good deal.

Ask him if he'd sell it for fair market value for a friend. :gossip:

Edited by USArmyParatrooper

GPA records that over a year old? hm

Right. Which is why I looked at the nearest grade with more activity (8.0) and noted it has been going up in value. I use the relative increase or decrease in value and apply that proportionally to the year old 7.5 prices.

If, for example, I see the next grade up or down has increased by 10% during the same time period I apply that to the grade of the comic I'm looking at.

It's not an exact science, but I like it because it's my idea and I'm never wrong. Ever!

:)

Hey guys, new member here. Been collecting for a long time now. I was wondering if any of your expertise could help determine if these scans were of a 1st print or 2nd print? Any help is greatly appreciated!

You should call for the graders notes if your friend isn't local. I see a lot of dents that don't break color on that 7.5. If you're into the crack, press, resub game this could be an attractive copy to gamble on.

And it clearly looks like a 1st print to me from the scan. But since it's your friends book you should be able to hold the book in hand and look for that black spot above Mikey's head and get a better look at the non-color breaking creases.

You should call for the graders notes if your friend isn't local. I see a lot of dents that don't break color on that 7.5. If you're into the crack, press, resub game this could be an attractive copy to gamble on.

And it clearly looks like a 1st print to me from the scan. But since it's your friends book you should be able to hold the book in hand and look for that black spot above Mikey's head and get a better look at the non-color breaking creases.

Good call!

Sadly no, I can't hold the book in hand. I'm in Alabama and my friend is in Utah. It's also the only scans I have. Sorry, I'm not new to collecting game but am to CGC and their grading processes. Are you saying the book might grade higher or lower if I resubmitted it?

Sadly no, I can't hold the book in hand. I'm in Alabama and my friend is in Utah. It's also the only scans I have. Sorry, I'm not new to collecting game but am to CGC and their grading processes. Are you saying the book might grade higher or lower if I resubmitted it?

I'm saying that if you sent it to http://cfpcomics.com/index.htm they could crack it out of the slab and do a press job on the book. Then resubmit it to CGC and it will probably grade higher. Pressing is a form of restoration that can repair the non-color breaking creases on a book. It also will stay in a blue label, as CGC doesn't consider pressing to be restoration. It's kind of like cheating and getting away with it. lol

The guy who runs the service is a board member here. His username is Joeypost and he's great at what he does. Very respected, trustworthy, and will treat your books like his own. He only charges $8 per book for the service too. (thumbs u

I should also add you don't have to get it pressed now. I have lots of books in my collection that are great pressing candidates, but I won't have them pressed since I have no intention of selling them. My TMNT #1 for example.

BUT, if down the road things change it's nice to have books that are good candidates for possibly selling them in the future. Just to keep that option available. If you buy it at a CGC 7.5 and it presses to a CGC 8.5 you're way ahead down the road. ;)

Um...

This is the copy that sold for $23k in August. :o

http://www.pedigreecomics.com/auction-detail.php?issue_id=36924

1042260008.jpg

I would not want to be the employee of a grading company responsible for this. Secondly, someone who has $23,000 to spend on a comic and doesn't do research on such a suspect comic ( counterfeits existing, 1, 2, 3 print runs ) is asking for trouble.

In my opinion, this is much worse then the guy that claims a grading company replaced his 1st print with another print. Why?!?, because this is the only trusted grading company in the industry.

Anyways, a company should follow up, make things right and accept responsibility if necessary. If it is a 1st print, then there are misleading printing errors via Mirage Studios. Someone will be expected to speak about it for the sake of misrepresentation.

I would not want to be the employee of a grading company responsible for this. Secondly, someone who has $23,000 to spend on a comic and doesn't do research on such a suspect comic ( counterfeits existing, 1, 2, 3 print runs ) is asking for trouble.

I think you're wrong in the second part. The buyer shouldn't have to be the expert because they are banking on the name of CGC. CGC said it was a first and that should be good enough for any buyer. By buying a slabbed book, you are buying the assurance that it is what is says it is.

CGC screwed the pooch here and bears full responsibility.