• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where are the classic silver age covers

82 posts in this topic

How about pre-1965 DC covers? Me? I'd love to see some of Swan's Adventure Covers from the 60s and earlier stuff as well.

Yes, me too. Its not limited to pre-1965. Whatever anyone thinks is great, I would like to see it.

I have a couple of swan pages ( just talking heads) but I would love to see Swan covers from any era.

If you love Swan's work probably you're not going to enjoy the following couple of pages, where Sal Amendola tells his experience in DC offices chopping Swan art. Click in the link to enlarge them.

http://imageshack.us/f/4/amendolabio1.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/16/amendolabio2.jpg/

I guess that this story fits in what some people calls "rescuing original art" instead of stealing it. The problem is that other people use the word "rescue" to define what is clearly "robbery" just to ease his guilt and twist the reality.

This is a sample of an eight page autobiographical story included in the book Streetwise published by TwoMorrows.

http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=513

amendolabio1copia.jpg

amendolabio2copia.jpg

As seen in detail in this article, in 1987 Kirby received 2058 pages of 3973 listed in the inventory. All the key stuff like complete X-Men #1-12 and FF #49-50 disappeared. Who did it and what happened after that? Who were the accessories? Which art dealers sold the stolen art back in that time?

http://ohdannyboy.blogspot.com.es/2011/04/marvel-worldwide-inc-et-al-v-kirby-et_04.html

If you love Swan's work probably you're not going to enjoy the following couple of pages, where Sal Amendola tells his experience in DC offices chopping Swan art. Click in the link to enlarge them.

http://imageshack.us/f/4/amendolabio1.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/16/amendolabio2.jpg/

I guess that this story fits in what some people calls "rescuing original art" instead of stealing it. The problem is that other people use the word "rescue" to define what is clearly "robbery" just to ease his guilt and twist the reality.

This is a sample of an eight page autobiographical story included in the book Streetwise published by TwoMorrows.

http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=513

amendolabio1copia.jpg

amendolabio2copia.jpg

Shocking!, I wonder how much art was cut up like this.

As seen in detail in this article, in 1987 Kirby received 2058 pages of 3973 listed in the inventory. All the key stuff like complete X-Men #1-12 and FF #49-50 disappeared. Who did it and what happened after that? Who were the accessories? Which art dealers sold the stolen art back in that time?

http://ohdannyboy.blogspot.com.es/2011/04/marvel-worldwide-inc-et-al-v-kirby-et_04.html

I remember reading some speculation that they were somehow still in Stan's possession in storage somewhere that he has since forgotten about.

I am thinking a lot this may surface in the next 20 years.

I know that back in the day, some art was held and trashed by the studios and some was returned to the creators.

But I have never really seen any top covers for sale.

AF #15, AMS #1, FF#1 etc. are they locked in collections or are they out there.

The Library of Congress has the AF15 OA It can be seen through appointment.

Thank you for your interest in the collections of the Library of Congress. Yes, we permit individuals and groups to see Steve Ditko's original art for Amazing Fantasy #15. Please let me know if you are only interested in the Spider-man story.

The Prints & Photographs Division is closed on Saturdays and Sundays. I work from 6:30-3:00 and offer appointment times that start between 8:30 and 1:30 (to allow researchers a proper amount of time to view art). I tend to take my holidays in August, and intend to be away from the Library of Congress from Friday August 13, through Friday, August 20, 2010. In addition, I may not work every day the week of August 23 through August 27, but can make myself available.

The Prints and Photographs Division is located in room 339 of the Madison Building of the Library of Congress, 101 Independence Ave., SE, between 1st and 2nd streets. The nearest

Metro station is Capitol South. We are a quick walk across Capitol Hill from Union Station.

You may bring a hand-held camera that can be operated without flash using available light for reference purposes. The drawings are housed under mylar and will not be removed during your appointment.

If you do not already possess a Library of Congress researcher card (available with one form of picture ID that contains your current address, you will need to stop in room 140 and get one before you arrive in the Prints & Photographs Division): < http://www.loc.gov/rr/security/readerreg.html >. Everyone in the group will need one.

I cannot show the comic book to anyone younger than 16. There is no exception to this rule (even my own son is counting the days until he is old enough to see it). There is a Young Reader's Center in the Library, and I suggest it as an alternative arrangement for children.

I look forward to meeting you. Please let me know when in August you intend to visit, and how many people will be in the group.

Sincerely,

Sara W. Duke

Curator, Popular and Applied Graphic Art

Prints and Photographs Division

Library of Congress, Washington, DC 20540-4730

Would love to see that.

Steve Ditko is one of my favorite artists, AF#15 is the most expensive comic I have ever bought and my most expensive page of OA is by Steve Ditko.

I wonder why no kids allowed.

Thanks for that info. :)

Any guesses as to what that would bring in an open market?

I know that back in the day, some art was held and trashed by the studios and some was returned to the creators.

But I have never really seen any top covers for sale.

AF #15, AMS #1, FF#1 etc. are they locked in collections or are they out there.

The Library of Congress has the AF15 OA It can be seen through appointment.

Thank you for your interest in the collections of the Library of Congress. Yes, we permit individuals and groups to see Steve Ditko's original art for Amazing Fantasy #15. Please let me know if you are only interested in the Spider-man story.

The Prints & Photographs Division is closed on Saturdays and Sundays. I work from 6:30-3:00 and offer appointment times that start between 8:30 and 1:30 (to allow researchers a proper amount of time to view art). I tend to take my holidays in August, and intend to be away from the Library of Congress from Friday August 13, through Friday, August 20, 2010. In addition, I may not work every day the week of August 23 through August 27, but can make myself available.

The Prints and Photographs Division is located in room 339 of the Madison Building of the Library of Congress, 101 Independence Ave., SE, between 1st and 2nd streets. The nearest

Metro station is Capitol South. We are a quick walk across Capitol Hill from Union Station.

You may bring a hand-held camera that can be operated without flash using available light for reference purposes. The drawings are housed under mylar and will not be removed during your appointment.

If you do not already possess a Library of Congress researcher card (available with one form of picture ID that contains your current address, you will need to stop in room 140 and get one before you arrive in the Prints & Photographs Division): < http://www.loc.gov/rr/security/readerreg.html >. Everyone in the group will need one.

I cannot show the comic book to anyone younger than 16. There is no exception to this rule (even my own son is counting the days until he is old enough to see it). There is a Young Reader's Center in the Library, and I suggest it as an alternative arrangement for children.

I look forward to meeting you. Please let me know when in August you intend to visit, and how many people will be in the group.

Sincerely,

Sara W. Duke

Curator, Popular and Applied Graphic Art

Prints and Photographs Division

Library of Congress, Washington, DC 20540-4730

Would love to see that.

Steve Ditko is one of my favorite artists, AF#15 is the most expensive comic I have ever bought and my most expensive page of OA is by Steve Ditko.

I wonder why no kids allowed.

Thanks for that info. :)

Any guesses as to what that would bring in an open market?

I think that you could just class this up with any piece of art at auction, it would attract investors and collectors out of the field of comics and break all records for OA as we know it.

I expected the same when the art of X-Men #1 was split in 2008, and this didn't happen.

BTW, X-Men #1 was in Vartanoff's list but Jack didn't receive a single page of it. It was STOLEN in complete form, with a great relief for Marvel's advocates who were scared to death that Jack could use that art to claim rights on the characters co-created by him.

I have an original art page from Fantastic Four #62 and I think it would be very hard to part with it, just in case, especially because I personally met Jack Kirby at his Thousand Oaks home, in 1991.

In fact, I was struck by Jack’s uniqueness as a man, by his humility and other virtues, that it’s not about "possessing" the piece, but just for what represents.

In fact, I was tempted to tell him I had that page (and I even thought to give it to him, seeing the controversy he had with Marvel over the art) but in the end I did not have the courage. Later, I somehow regretted it, but when he died I thought it’s something which helps me remember he’s close to me… :)

I have an original art page from Fantastic Four #62 and I think it would be very hard to part with it, just in case, especially because I personally met Jack Kirby at his Thousand Oaks home, in 1991.

In fact, I was struck by Jack’s uniqueness as a man, by his humility and other virtues, that it’s not about "possessing" the piece, but just for what represents.

In fact, I was tempted to tell him I had that page (and I even thought to give it to him, seeing the controversy he had with Marvel over the art) but in the end I did not have the courage. Later, I somehow regretted it, but when he died I thought it’s something which helps me remember he’s close to me… :)

Scan & show, please. :popcorn:

Let's address the issue of ownership...

The art is NOT stolen. At least not from a legal prospective. At the time that the art went missing it was the property of Marvel--not the artists. In some cases art was gifted back to artists and returned, but it was always a gift not a return of their property. Marvel never filed a police report that any art was missing or stolen so they have given up their rights to the stolen property. The statute of limitation has certainly run out long ago for Marvel to recover that art.

Statutes of limitations only cover the time frame in which a case can be brought against a defendant. They do not cover ownership. Legal title to stolen property remains with the owner from whom it was stolen. There are only a very limited number of exceptions to this rule, and time is not one of them.