• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading - opinions appreciated

29 posts in this topic

I am considering buying a group of GA comics. The seller mailed me the attached scan of one of the books along with a grade. I would be interested in hearing what other people would grade this book?

This is not a grading quiz: I am not going to reveal the seller's identity or the grade that he gave me. If anyone knows who the seller is, please do not post it. I have dealt with this dealer in the past and think highly of him. It is just that the total deal would be worth $$$Ks so I would like a second opinion before deciding.

Thanks for any help on this.

589a8aae061a9_87348-cs7.jpg.f34bbe22ef4ef1bab4585a0897a1205a.jpg

Doesn't look like a stamp to me... looks hand-written...

But either way I happen to like having receiver dates on my pre-1966 comics... adds to the history for me... Not everyone's opinion I know... but it's mine...

Probably a VF.....You would have to check the book for defects that dont show up on a scanner, such as thumb indentions or rough surfaces on the front and back covers. Looks nice though.....make sure you have it checked for restoration! frown.gif

Does anyone else have a problem with the "date stamp" saying 1994? What is up with that? Is it part of the comic?

Other than that, I think it looks pretty good -- although I am sure that I would feel a lot better making a big purchase with the comics in front of me.

At first glance I thought it said 1971 with a European "7"...

It definitely is hand-written though... You can tell by the thicker ink blobs at the bottom of the numbers...

Either way... a nice book...

What I don't understand is why Donald would install two extra valves? I would seem the one he is holding would be enough... Why go the trouble of adding the second one above it?

And how come Goofy can talk and Pluto can't? It appears to be some sort of discrimination agains dogs with yellow fur. mad.gif

I'm suprised all of the yellow fur dogs haven't organized some sort of boycott or demanded some form of reparations.

Where is Alpo Sharpton or Jesse JackRussellTerrier when you need them? smirk.gif

Yes, it is handwritten. I think noone will get offended if I reveal that this was described as a "VF w/c, no rest".

As a followup, the set consists of around 10 similiar early WDC&S, all graded in the FN-VF range priced at 2-2,5 times guide (which I have no problem with - early #s in this shape are exceptionally hard to find). Any thoughts on what kind of discount might be reasonable and how would you argue your case? Dealer is long term pro.

Thanks for all the helpful comments.

Those books are stupidly hard to find... so if you are satisfied with the grading, I would have a hard time arguing with a premium over guide... Clearly it's up to you what premium you feel comfortable with, but I tend to fall back on this question when I am looking at this kind of deal:

"What will guide be the next time I find these books available?"

If there is a reasonable expectation that you will not see the same books offered in that shape for 3-5 years, then paying what you think guide will be 3-5 years from now is not unreasonable at all...

When it's a book you will see again next week, paying a premium seems silly. But when it's a book you may see once every five years, if you get it for less than 2007 guide you're probably doing just fine..

Most of your posts can be summed up by saying "Ooga Booga Unga Bunga".

I can just see it now... I'll log in on Monday and Arch will have changed my title to that... Thanks a lot Bug... mad.gif