• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official "Matt and Kenny post before, during, and after photos" Thread.

199 posts in this topic

Just what people want, yet another Classics Inc. thread. doh!

Not to leave people wanting, here is a rare "before" shot of an obscure GA key where somebody glued a Batman figurine to the cover.

1410491b.jpg

If you pull that figurine off with a pliers, will it get the purple label?

Just what people want, yet another Classics Inc. thread. doh!

Not to leave people wanting, here is a rare "before" shot of an obscure GA key where somebody glued a Batman figurine to the cover.

If you pull that figurine off with a pliers, will it get the purple label?

No, this is what's commonly referred to as a "Bindery Batman"

It's a production related defect, and removing it with pliers is no different then the Batman Figurine falling off all on it's own.

damnnnn....where are all the pics?

:gossip: Buried in Ponseti's GL 1 thread.

Right now the owners of all the books I am working on, wish to remain private. :(

I'll bet Matt could remove that Batman figurine in nothing flat, and he wouldn't even gripe about it! Kenny is turning into a resto diva.

Thank goodness Matt is around to fix your rookie mistakes.

xoxo

greggy

Thread Necromancy initiated, for those that like to read about resto stuff.

Last month, we needed to experiment/implement several new things to our leaf casting, and CT processes. This is obviously very time consuming, and something we don't do with client books.

And since time is money, Matt proffered up several of his own books to work on that were ideal candidates. Kill two birds with 1 stone so to speak.

Basically it involved trying to streamline the processes without suffering loss of quality. We basically restored 4 books, in 3 days, which obviously isn't realistic, or even practical going forward....but it is possible. And might pave the way for books being restored that are presently not cost effective to do so.

First challenge was to clean, wash, and leaf cast 6 covers in a day. Then bang out the interiors and CT over the next few days.

And while I lack before photos...here is a shot of 4 of the 6 covers that were washed, and leaf casted in the same session.

1efda0a7.jpg

Shot of the washed,and leaf casted Pep 1.... before and after CT.

Cover was basically split, large areas missing front and back, major tears etc..

f6c44f5b.jpg

d4a84482.jpg

4d4f4564.jpg

Before / After scans.

bc7d05a7.jpg

59400113.jpg

3b2c8bea.jpg

a169b53c.jpg

And smaller versions.

2e4fc102.jpgeeb562d7.jpg

46be02e1.jpgd5b539dc.jpg

Superboy 1

Comic was a mess.

Thin, brittle spine, major spine roll, fading inks, stains.

Tried something new with the writing on the FC, which for some reason looks god awful in the scans.

d485ad48.jpg

bb09fa5a.jpg

5c9d013c.jpg

e9892769.jpg

And some smaller versions

e189403c.jpg878f6eb4.jpg

2122a575.jpg7207ac05.jpg

Tough crowd.

Working on a Tec 28 this week, a bookend to Ankurs Tec 35.

This copy had massive tape, and glue on both sides of the cover. The interior cover tape actually served as piece fill in the before scan.

Before

cebdd31a.jpg

After resto/tape removal,dry clean, washed, leaf casted and BC CT. The book is obviously not done yet, the after scan was taken with the cover flat. It has not been trimmed back to original size, or pressed.

e9edaba7.jpg

8fc7822d.jpg984b8063.jpg

And to think you had reservations about pulling the trigger on restoring the #28

It's the second appearance of Batman!! :D

Love me some Tec 28, such a cool book.

Several people have asked about the WDC&S 1

It's not done yet, it went out the door with Matt when he left. The cover did anyways, the interior is still here and is a royal mess.

But, the BC CT was pretty much complete.

And the blue... is very blue!!!

After scan is of the folded cover only, and obviously not pressed yet.

6a6bea1d.jpg

44e99c7b.jpg

84b52c22.jpg1ca5b604.jpg

And to think you had reservations about pulling the trigger on restoring the #28

It's the second appearance of Batman!! :D

Love me some Tec 28, such a cool book.

I would have read it while taking a dump.

But that's how I roll. hm

Do those wrinkles/pits where paper was replaced go away in a later process?

It always seems to come back to pressing around here!

But yeah..those will most all go away after the book is worked on a bit more, assembled and pressed. Although in my defense, I did say it was obviously not pressed yet.

This was just such a good example of the new CT process we worked on, I thought it was worth posting as is. But let's not focus on that when there are pesky wrinkles to discuss.

:P