• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official "Matt and Kenny post before, during, and after photos" Thread.

199 posts in this topic

And to think you had reservations about pulling the trigger on restoring the #28

It's the second appearance of Batman!! :D

Love me some Tec 28, such a cool book.

I would have read it while taking a dump.

But that's how I roll. hm

I am thrilled to have you contribute so much awesomeness to the thread.

:roflmao:

Matt brought the Pep and Superboy, along with a few other examples, to SD. It is truly astounding how good the work is and how great the books look. The books feel supple and natural. And, while the restoration is apparent on close inspection, it so vastly superior to previous techniques in approximating the original look. Just amazing.

Do those wrinkles/pits where paper was replaced go away in a later process?

It always seems to come back to pressing around here!

But yeah..those will most all go away after the book is worked on a bit more, assembled and pressed. Although in my defense, I did say it was obviously not pressed yet.

This was just such a good example of the new CT process we worked on, I thought it was worth posting as is. But let's not focus on that when there are pesky wrinkles to discuss.

:P

The color work is just wonderful. Do you match by eye, or is there a systematic way to do it? I've been mixing model colours (enamels and acrylics at various times) for forty years now and have got pretty good, but matching an existing colour like that with acrylics would be hard because they shift colour as they dry.

My hat's off to you. :applause:

And to think you had reservations about pulling the trigger on restoring the #28

I didn't say I'd wipe with it. I'd just read between contractions.

I didn't say I'd wipe with it. I'd just read between contractions.

Fiber is your friend.

:foryou:

But yeah..those will most all go away after the book is worked on a bit more, assembled and pressed. Although in my defense, I did say it was obviously not pressed yet.

This was just such a good example of the new CT process we worked on, I thought it was worth posting as is. But let's not focus on that when there are pesky wrinkles to discuss.

The color work is just wonderful. Do you match by eye, or is there a systematic way to do it? I've been mixing model colours (enamels and acrylics at various times) for forty years now and have got pretty good, but matching an existing colour like that with acrylics would be hard because they shift colour as they dry.

Serious question there. How do you accurately predict the colour once it dries? Blues in particular darken noticeably.

wow, as ever amazing work on these!!!

For my own personal preference all I'd mention is that the whites seem to come out VERY white and that blue is REALLY blue.

Are you ever tempted to think screw it and correct a horrible miswrap as well? I mean I look at the superbly #1 and think its extensively restored already so why not give it maximum eye appeal.

Maybe I just really hate bad miswraps though!!!!

I love these threads. :applause:

How long does it usually take to finish a comic that needs extensive restoration once you begin working on it? And what takes the longest, leafcasting or color touch?

Color touch takes much longer than leafcasting, but we're working on getting that time down to lower costs. Extensive jobs can take 10-30 hours to complete, which is why the turn times are so long!

wow, as ever amazing work on these!!!

For my own personal preference all I'd mention is that the whites seem to come out VERY white and that blue is REALLY blue.

Are you ever tempted to think screw it and correct a horrible miswrap as well? I mean I look at the superbly #1 and think its extensively restored already so why not give it maximum eye appeal.

Maybe I just really hate bad miswraps though!!!!

We always restore a book right back to the way it was printed, which is why miscuts remain. It would be a lot more work to fill in all the edges, add the extra color and re-cut a cover to remove a miscut that large.

Serious question there. How do you accurately predict the colour once it dries? Blues in particular darken noticeably.

Sorry, I missed this earlier, was not ignoring you.

You hit the nail on the head, trying to anticipate how a mixed color will change as it dries is about the hardest part aside from accurately matching the color itself.

All I can say is it is it comes down to practice and experience. Oh, and a dash of luck thrown in too.

Basically knowing it will change(get darker) is the key.

We get asked all the time if we have examples of leaf casting to take around to Cons.

Typically we don't , unless we have client books on hand.

So I spent a few hours yesterday and leaf casted some rat chewed pages from a Detective Picture Stories #5.

Always loved the centerfold, and first Bruce Wayne prototype by Kane.

If ya wanna see them in person, they will be in Chicago.

For those that wont be, here are some photos.

Casted page sitting next to a few that were not.

bd8daa14.jpg

6b3042e8.jpg

Lots of before and afters. Both sides of each page.

3a9160ef.jpg

c6d7325f.jpg

03eed236.jpg

72b7d304.jpg

fd5a1853.jpg

e170d697.jpg

91f1cf22.jpg

fd61086d.jpg

4ca55a7c.jpg

071dc763.jpg

a17ff1f9.jpg

c1bfd1a3.jpg

589faacf.jpg

ed78dd8c.jpg

f6b30565.jpg

61b1d45b.jpg

More leaf casting spam!

Here is another book from the rat chewed pile. ( at least I think it was rats :eek: )

Washed, and leaf casted this cover to use as an example of how conservation might trump full blown extensive restoration when it is not cost effective.

Trying to repair, and piece fill a cover like this by hand would be a daunting, time consuming task. But thanks to leaf casting it allows for a much wider range of books in need of repair, to get it.

Basically took about 4 hours from start to finish.

No CT, just casted paper.

79e2b90f.jpg

9dd1cda0.jpg

9001b23a.jpg

3d33eb53.jpg

afc059df.jpg

286656ba.jpg

bddec169.jpg

1fa485e4.jpg

ed8f8bbd.jpg

d7a1c73b.jpg

e746c750.jpg

23538000.jpg

c931ccc9.jpg

71e7adb3.jpg

9197b952.jpg

0e5db840.jpg

And one last silly one of the comic standing up all by itself.

ffe024fa.jpg