• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

#1 CGC Marvel Collection at Heritage: The PedigreeComics.Com collection

48 posts in this topic

The "official" press release for this goes out on Thursday, but thought I should share it with all the board members 1st. I hope you are as excited to see these books come to auction as I am! (thumbs u

:gossip: The link at the very bottom might not work just yet. If not, just try again a little later.

Silver Age Marvel Collection of Doug Schmell / PedigreeComics.com to be Auctioned By Heritage July 26-27

The 9.8 Pacific Coast copy of X-Men #1:

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7063&lotidNo=67281

Doug Schmell’s unparalleled collection of Silver Age Marvel Comics will be auctioned by Heritage Auctions at its July 26-27 Beverly Hills Signature Auction. All lots will be auctioned without reserve.

*This multimillion-dollar collection features the top Marvel Silver Age CGC award-winning registry sets of each title offered.

*Almost every comic is the single highest graded or tied for highest graded copy according to the CGC census (registry username “Captain Tripps”).

*Almost every comic is certified “whitepages” or “off-white to white pages”

*Most of the comics originated in different prominent pedigree collections including Pacific Coast, Curator, Twin Cities, Boston, Northland, Massachusetts, Western Penn, White Mountain, Rocky Mountain, and others.

The 9.6 Pacific Coast copy of Tales of Suspense #39:

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7063&lotidNo=67284

In addition to being an elite collector, Mr. Schmell is the owner of a well-known comic auction site. “After watching Heritage become, by far, the world’s largest comics auction house, I knew that Heritage was the perfect choice for me to sell my private collection to realize the highest prices with no conflict for the consignors on my site, PedigreeComics.com,” Mr.Schmell says.

Steve Borock, Senior Consignment Director of Heritage, commented: “I have watched Doug piece together this fantastic collection for the 20-plus years I have known him, and when I saw the collection in its entirety, it was a thing of beauty!”

Lon Allen, Managing Director for Comics and Comic Art, added: “Being a successful auctioneer himself, Doug is intimately familiar with every selling option our hobby has to offer, so we’re incredibly flattered that he chose Heritage to sell his personal collection.”

The 9.6 Pacific Coast copy of Avengers #1:

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7063&lotidNo=67286

The following runs will be offered:

Avengers #1-100 (89 are 9.8 and 11 are 9.6)

Daredevil #1-100 (90 9.8 and 10 9.6)

Fantastic Four #1-102 (94 are 9.8 and 9.6)

Journey Into Mystery #83-125 (40 are 9.8 and 9.6)

Strange Tales #101-168 (64 are 9.8 and 9.6)

Tales of Suspense #39-99 ( All are 9.8 and 9.6)

Tales To Astonish #36-101 (64 are 9.8 and 9.6)

Thor #126-200 (72 are 9.8 and 3 are 9.6)

X-Men #1-66 (61 are 9.8 and 5 are 9.6)

Many of the highlights from the collection are already viewable online using the following link:

http://comics.ha.com/common/search_results.php?N=52+793+794+791+1893+792+2088+4294953765+4294966646

That makes sense, but I didn't realize he had never sold his own books on the site.

This will be a historic auction. I wonder why Doug is selling his whole collection.... hm

No longer king of the CGC hill.

Soon enough his books won't be single highest grade and he'll lose out on sale potential.

My 2 ¢.

Think he is trying to maximise his auction return and took the view that his own site would be deemed a conflict of interest.

:roflmao:

Did you type the "conflict of interest" part with a straight face George?

Is Doug giving up on pedigreecomics.com?

Don't think he's giving up on Pedigree, only his collection.

If he doesn't think his own web site is a good platform for selling his own collection, why would his customers believe in it? It implies he's giving up on the site. (shrug)

Its a sign of the comic apocalypse. Can the market absorb all these books at anywhere near their previous selling levels? I already know the ones i want will get there. doh!