• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

I've gone back and forth debating whether I should post this or not and decided to go ahead and share it. Go easy on me. I typed it up last night when I couldn't sleep at 2 AM but left it to simmer for a bit and decided to share it.

I'm typically a very focused (maybe sometimes short sighted) person by nature (it's both a gift and a curse) but there are things that were unexpected that I've experienced that helped me open up my "world view" on a variety of topics so I thought that maybe by sharing this, it might help people get on board with the "pay it forward" concept that might have been reluctant to do so or may not have seen the opportunity to do so even if they wanted to.

To me, paying it forward is not really about getting something in return. It's about giving something, whether it's time or effort, without expecting to get anything back in return because the intention is to bring happiness to people and make things better.

It's almost like having the opportunity to celebrate Christmas every day.

My uncle, who is a pastor that I have had many a discussions and debates with (we once locked ourselves into a friend's home and discussed the existence of "free will" for about 8 hours before we realized it was time to go home), explained to me that the word circumspect comes from two Latin words:

circa - meaning "around" or in a circular manner

spec - meaning to look

So he explained that walking circumspectly meant that one was always "looking around" for opportunities to do something.

Some old book I once read told me to "encourage one another to do good works" so I'm posting this not for the reason of boasting (because I'm not - far be it), but rather to encourage each other to "think outside the box" if you already haven't and to encourage each other to do good stuff. There's enough negativity on this forum to last a lifetime, but there's always room for something positive.

Lou and I were staying at the Crowne Plaza in Detroit for the Motor City Comic Convention (there, now it's an on topic post) this past May. One evening we were in the lobby of the hotel when we saw a young bride and groom check in at the front desk on the Saturday night. We congratulated them and chatted for a few moments. Turned out that they were spending their honeymoon at the hotel for one evening as that was all they could afford. It was kind of a bummer to me that they would only be able to enjoy the one night so Lou and I talked about it and we opted to pay for a second night for the couple as a wedding gift. We simply asked that they pay it forward somehow when it was convenient for them. They said they did it all the time and thanked us. We never saw each other again.

Whether I believe in Karma, freewill, god, predestination, reincarnation or anything else, doesn't really matter. The reality is that no matter how many Spawn #1's or Mego Human Torch or Iron Man dolls I have nothing makes me feel better than helping someone out when they least expect it.

I think this thread is freaking awesome and the hippy in me just wanted to share that with y'all. Bite me, haters...I'm rocking the boat! It's one small bump for Comics General and one giant bump for mankind.

:banana:

I've gone back and forth debating whether I should post this or not and decided to go ahead and share it. Go easy on me. I typed it up last night when I couldn't sleep at 2 AM but left it to simmer for a bit and decided to share it.

I'm typically a very focused (maybe sometimes short sighted) person by nature (it's both a gift and a curse) but there are things that were unexpected that I've experienced that helped me open up my "world view" on a variety of topics so I thought that maybe by sharing this, it might help people get on board with the "pay it forward" concept that might have been reluctant to do so or may not have seen the opportunity to do so even if they wanted to.

To me, paying it forward is not really about getting something in return. It's about giving something, whether it's time or effort, without expecting to get anything back in return because the intention is to bring happiness to people and make things better.

My uncle, who is a pastor that I have had many a discussions and debates with (we once locked ourselves into a friend's home and discussed the existence of "free will" for about 8 hours before we realized it was time to go home), explained to me that the word circumspect comes from two Latin words:

spec - meaning to look

So he explained that walking circumspectly meant that one was always "looking around" for opportunities to do something.

Some old book I once read told me to "encourage one another to do good works" so I'm posting this not for the reason of boasting (because I'm not - far be it), but rather to encourage each other to "think outside the box" if you already haven't and to encourage each other to do good stuff. There's enough negativity on this forum to last a lifetime, but there's always room for something positive.

Lou and I were staying at the Crowne Plaza in Detroit for the Motor City Comic Convention (there, now it's an on topic post) this past May. One evening we were in the lobby of the hotel when we saw a young bride and groom check in at the front desk on the Saturday night. We congratulated them and chatted for a few moments. Turned out that they were spending their honeymoon at the hotel for one evening as that was all they could afford. It was kind of a bummer to me that they would only be able to enjoy the one night so Lou and I talked about it and we opted to pay for a second night for the couple as a wedding gift. We simply asked that they pay it forward somehow when it was convenient for them. They said they did it all the time and thanked us. We never saw each other again.

Whether I believe in Karma, freewill, god, predestination, reincarnation or anything else, doesn't really matter. The reality is that no matter how many Spawn #1's or Mego Human Torch or Iron Man dolls I have nothing makes me feel better than helping someone out when they least expect it.

I think this thread is freaking awesome and the hippy in me just wanted to share that with y'all. Bite me, haters...I'm rocking the boat! It's one small bump for Comics General and one giant bump for mankind.

:headbang::applause::banana:

The reality is that no matter how many Spawn #1's or Mego Human Torch or Iron Man dolls I have nothing makes me feel better than helping someone out when they least expect it.

You have Mego dolls? :o

The reality is that no matter how many Spawn #1's or Mego Human Torch or Iron Man dolls I have nothing makes me feel better than helping someone out when they least expect it.

You have Mego dolls? :o

Yeah, I gave some lady $5 for them 'cause they were melted.

spec - meaning to look

Well said Roy :applause:

spec - meaning to look

Well said Roy :applause:

That bunny killed me a little inside. SO CUTE.

spec - meaning to look

Great post, and I'm grateful that there are do-gooders out there doing random acts of kindness.

I gotta tell ya, it feels good to do these random acts. For my wife's 40th birthday, one of her surprises was that I set up all of her friends on Facebook to go out and do some random act of kindness in her name, and then post it on Fb for everyone to see. Everyone labeled it: Random Acts of Stephanie. My wife cried tears of joy every time she saw someone's post. Her mom paid for a broke college student to fill his gas tank instead of just the $2 that he had. Someone helped an elderly woman with her groceries. At a restaurant for dinner, I saw a mom feeding three hungry teenage boys, so I bought a gift card from my waitress and handed it to the mom on the way out.

Anyway, I'm here only to say that I agree with Roy, that paying it forward or doing random acts of kindness is a heck of a thing. And it's amazing how, once you do it, you start to see other opportunities everywhere you look.

Great to see it here on the comic forums. :whee:

I've been growing my stack of 'donation' comics for some time now. I'm probably going to find a friend who has a young child who could benefit from comics as a platform to engage them in reading and give them to him/her.

I hope someone takes the Spider-man tpb I am offering up so we can keep this thing going!

I know on the other forum we sometimes have to switch up what we are offering after a while if no one is interested. May want to consider doing this if no one takes the TPB in the next 24 hours so we can keep the thread going.

Updated my offering (if excelsior needs the Spiderman TPB I originally offered, PM me and I'll send it your way as well.)

Just checked and I do have it. :( thank you very much though. I appreciate the thought. I would grab those batmans too if I didn't have them already. Somebody's gotta want those. It's a good read.