• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One of the most extreme collections you will ever see

87 posts in this topic

Hopefully this hasn't been posted yet...

This is part 7 of 18. I haven't watched every part yet, but this series of videos is absolutely jaw-dropping. This woman has a massive house which is completely overrun (but in a very organized way) by toys, and in particular, GI Joe toys (the vintage dolls and the "Real American Hero" stuff).

This is an incredible, and in some ways frightening look at collecting taken to its most extreme. Again, what strikes me the most about this collection is not only its overall size, but the unimaginable investment of time, effort and money associated both with acquiring and organizing these pieces. It's one thing to drop some insane amount of money on a piece of OA or a high grade Marvel key, but it's another to spend that kind of money AND have the insane dedication it would take to put together this kind of collection. If you have any interest in how far other collectors can take their hobbies, I recommend kicking back and watching this series of videos from the beginning.

Wow. Who cares? What you collect sucks and mine rocks. This guy seems happy and normal.

Dan

lol

You didn't read my post, and it's highly unlikely that you clicked on the video.

There is a reason that those that buy this type of stuff nickname it 'plastic crack'

I have spent quite a bit of time thinning out the herd having sold off 1/4 so far this year. The idea is to cut it in half by the end of the summer.

I also want to add that there is a major problem with collecting GI Joe figures that make carded collections VERY risky to purchase and maintain. It is the reason that I sucked it up and sold off almost all of my 80's GI Joes.

The plastic is brittle. I discussed it once before on these boards. Hasbro used a hard plastic known as ABS plastic to build their figures. The 82-94 Joes were constructed using a O-ring system where a tiny metal hook and a rubber band kept the figure together. They have been known to break very easily. Time has not been kind.

Imagine this. You buy a $1000 carded Snake Eyes v 2 With Timber the Wolf and it is graded by AFA. You let it sit undisturbed for ten years. Even if you never touched it, the likelihood exists that when you return to look at it the figure be broken and falling apart in the sealed bubble due to the rubber band snapping inside the figure over time.

It has been known to happen even in the best conditions.

The problem with a collection like this is that you're dropping a ton of money on something you can almost be certain will not be sellable at anywhere close to what you paid. But if you don't mind that, then rock on! Cool stuff.

The plastic is brittle. I discussed it once before on these boards.

When I saw she had items stored in her wash room, all I could think of was any excessive heat or dampness from the dryer-washer combination.

:eek:

The problem with a collection like this is that you're dropping a ton of money on something you can almost be certain will not be sellable at anywhere close to what you paid. But if you don't mind that, then rock on! Cool stuff.

And the fact it takes up her entire house. As cool as that stuff is, i wouldn't want to live amongst it.

I also want to add that there is a major problem with collecting GI Joe figures that make carded collections VERY risky to purchase and maintain. It is the reason that I sucked it up and sold off almost all of my 80's GI Joes.

The plastic is brittle. I discussed it once before on these boards. Hasbro used a hard plastic known as ABS plastic to build their figures. The 82-94 Joes were constructed using a O-ring system where a tiny metal hook and a rubber band kept the figure together. They have been known to break very easily. Time has not been kind.

Imagine this. You buy a $1000 carded Snake Eyes v 2 With Timber the Wolf and it is graded by AFA. You let it sit undisturbed for ten years. Even if you never touched it, the likelihood exists that when you return to look at it the figure be broken and falling apart in the sealed bubble due to the rubber band snapping inside the figure over time.

I've mentioned this here before, but this is why I got out of collecting MOC Joes. I had a pretty substantial collection of the first 4 series, including most of the "keys"; one day, while looking through my collection, I noticed that the O-ring on one of my MOC figures had popped. Luckily it was a series 5 Flint that I had only paid $2-300 for, and not one of my 4-figure pieces. I subsequently sold my entire collection.

In the case of this woman, she's making books and this clearly a "life's work" kind of thing, so I doubt that's a concern. Also, she started this collection back when she was buying these toys for her kids (who are now adults), so only she knows whether or not she could come out ahead if she sold this collection. Not sure why you're assuming she couldn't recoup the money, there's a huge market for Joe toys and she has some crazy rare/high demand stuff.

I've mentioned this here before, but this is why I got out of collecting MOC Joes. I had a pretty substantial collection of the first 4 series, including most of the "keys"; one day, while looking through my collection, I noticed that the O-ring on one of my MOC figures had popped. Luckily it was a series 5 Flint that I had only paid $2-300 for, and not one of my 4-figure pieces. I subsequently sold my entire collection.

I had about half of a carded Star Wars line assembled before I went back to comics in 2010. Nothing to crazy, I was going after one of every figure, no variants or anything like that. One day I noticed that some of the bubbles had started to yellow. Thinking I was imagining things, I put them back and checked a year later in 2010. They were worse than I remembered. They were then sold immediately. I kept an entire loose set though of all the major variants and a Yak Face. The SW figures were made of a softer plastic and seem to keep up nicely.

Where can you find the rest of that series at? Please pm. Crazy. That's almost like "organized" hoarding, which I guess is what collecting really is. Almost makes me want to look around my office, and sell all my stuff off lol.

I had about half of a carded Star Wars line assembled before I went back to comics in 2010. Nothing to crazy, I was going after one of every figure, no variants or anything like that. One day I noticed that some of the bubbles had started to yellow. Thinking I was imagining things, I put them back and checked a year later in 2010. They were worse than I remembered. They were then sold immediately. I kept an entire loose set though of all the major variants and a Yak Face. The SW figures were made of a softer plastic and seem to keep up nicely.

I was just talking about this with comicwiz. Do you mind naming which figures had their bubbles turning yellow? Were they ROTJ? POTF?