• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vince Greck , a new Australian dealer on CAF

179 posts in this topic

Damn, you'd think that with a degree in English Lit, I would have remembered how to spell "deleated" ;)

Haha, I left a comment on the Vaughn Bode Cobalt 60 page that it had last sold at a Heritage auction in 2006 for $3.8K - my comment has now been deleted!

I think you must mean, 'deleated', Royd.

I always knew there were some quirky characters in OA circles but this guy is going to make the all time top 10 list if this plays out....

The way I figure it out, Rae was probably finding it very, very difficult to get other collectors interested in doing business with him following his widespread exposure as a confidence-trickster.

He appears to have then wound-down his CAF gallery, to give the impression that his collection had been sold off (as Brian Howard advises Rae had told him).

'Vince Greck' then appears in March of this year. He uploads a handful of images (presumably of stuff we hadn't seen before) to whet our appetites. The lengthy (accompanying) spiel in Greck's CAF gallery, talks of many types of art which, I believe, was designed to encourage private contact from would-be-buyers.

In all fairness to Rae (if Greck's not Rae, he's no doubt a front for him), he's quite entitled to sell art he possesses, but in the long-run he's done himself a lot of self-damage through his past scams.

As long as folks here know who they're dealing with, it's entirely their call if they want to go that route.

I certainly wouldn't want to do business with Rae, no matter what tempting artworks he may upload.

To my mind, that would be putting money in the pockets of a thief.

The fact that he's had to go through this elaborate ploy should tell us everything we need to know about how he works . . .

Excerpt from Greck's CAF says . . .

Estate Clearing

. . . All of our items are for sale and while we do not “trade” we are always open to sincere offers.

I just noticed that Greck affixed the following comment to Glen Brunswick's Kirby THOR Grey Gargoyle splash:

"At Estate Clearing we don't do trades, but for this great page anything is possible."

Which is the kind of approach Rae was often fond of making.

So much for the idea of 'Estate Clearing' being a business (with Greck as an employee) to dispose of the collectibles of the dearly departed . . .

I'll trade, I'll trade!!! Just tell me where to send my art.

I am getting something back from good old Vince, right? No?

Aww...he almost got me. :). I was THIS close.

A collective sigh of relief is called for here, Glen.

Thor was very nearly dearly departed . . .

Burkey just posted on the comicart-l list that he has received emails from Rae over the last 6 months and as recently as 2 weeks ago. So unless we are dealing with the Reanimated Corpse of Richard Rae (© Sean L), I think Vince needs to amend his lie um..... I mean explanation.

Burkey just posted on the comicart-l list that he has received emails from Rae over the last 6 months and as recently as 2 weeks ago. So unless we are doing with the Reanimated Corpse of Richard Rae (© Sean L), I think Vince needs to amend his lie um..... I mean explanation.

Did Vinnie re-appear on CAF chat room last night, Brian? I had to take my wife to work, so couldn't stay too long.

The 'Re-animated corpse of Richard Rae' bit, and similar, was a good laugh. :grin:

According to "Vince Greck" they got all this art from RIchard Rae's estate in the last couple of weeks, and that he's dead. While that's most unfortunate if it's true, I can find zero evidence in public records of an obituary or funeral announcement in all of Australia, except for a Richard Rae that died in 2010. (shrug)

36743-1.jpg

"He's dead, but he won't lie down . . ."

According to "Vince Greck" they got all this art from RIchard Rae's estate in the last couple of weeks, and that he's dead. While that's most unfortunate if it's true, I can find zero evidence in public records of an obituary or funeral announcement in all of Australia, except for a Richard Rae that died in 2010. (shrug)

36743-1.jpg

"He's dead, but he won't lie down . . ."

That image is lit by the eerie glow emanating from his light box.

Vince just posted the Buckler lightbox inks over Steranko photostat and trying to pass it off as Steranko/Buckler piece for $10K.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=927992&GSub=134490

Terry posted Buckler's email about this in the "The curious case of the Mike Royer light-boxed artworks . . ." thread.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4729710&fpart=20

BTW, I've posted a question on his CAF page right here about whether it was lightboxed:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=927992&GSub=134490

The reason you don't see it is that he deleted my question. As well as the same question from at least two other people.

So if you aren't busy, let's do him a favor and ALL ask him if it's lightboxed. Go on, just click on over and ask. I wonder how often he can hit "delete."

Glen Gold