• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men:Days of Future Past movie confirmed
1 1

2,129 posts in this topic

I just saw it. And it was a great 'comic book film.' One of the best ever. Kudos to Mr. Singer and the cast.

I do wonder why film-makers can't credit the original writer and artist: Chris Claremont and John Byrne. I know a million screen-writers are used, and the story is altered for the big screen. The credits are a mile long at the end, and even the director's dog's psychiatrist gets a credit but no, nothing for the creators of X-Men 141 and 142.

Come to think of it would it kill them to throw Jack Kirby's name into the scroll of credits? He is merely the co-creator of Professor X, Beast, Magneto, and Quicksilver, four of the major characters in the film.

Honor the creators who went before you, I say.

:sumo:

I just saw it. And it was a great 'comic book film.' One of the best ever. Kudos to Mr. Singer and the cast.

I do wonder why film-makers can't credit the original writer and artist: Chris Claremont and John Byrne. I know a million screen-writers are used, and the story is altered for the big screen. The credits are a mile long at the end, and even the director's dog's psychiatrist gets a credit but no, nothing for the creators of X-Men 141 and 142.

Come to think of it would it kill them to throw Jack Kirby's name into the scroll of credits? He is merely the co-creator of Professor X, Beast, Magneto, and Quicksilver, four of the major characters in the film.

Aside from the title and time travel, what else is similar to the original?

I couldve sworn I saw him listed as a congressman

Aside from the title and time travel, what else is similar to the original?

The camps, the collars, the tattoos, the sentinels as prison guard/hunters, the "trask as primary mover in sentinel proliferation" plot line. Everything else is altered and pretty dramatically, from the mission to the players to the potential outcomes...it's all different. I agree.

I was disappointed overall. It wasn't that they didn't make a good effort because they did. Casual fans will love the movie as my son(12) did. It will make a ton of cash and they might actually make a good Age of Apocalypse because man those comics sucked.

However if you grew up with the storyline you will be disappointed as I was. It just shows you how brilliant Byrne/Claremont were when they wrote this. I mean they were literally years ahead of everyone else. So much so that it still doesn't translate as well as it should at the movies. I had such high hopes for this film. I think I just set my standards to high.

They do a good job with Xavier and even Magneto to a lesser extent. Quicksilver was the movie's shining moment. Their version just doesn't transfer as well in my opinion. I give them credit for trying and even improving in a few areas, but overall it just doesn't live up to the hype.

This is just a case where they bit off more then they can chew.

In summary Marvel would have done it better there is no doubt in my mind.

Edited by Fastballspecial

All I can think about when I watch these great Marvel / Disney movies is that DC is so pathetically behind in the movie business. And yes, the movie was great. Couldn't help but feel pain watching Quicksilver (who was great) and lamenting that Marvel got the drop on the speedster ...

Chris Claremont and Wolverine co-creator Len Wein have cameos in the film (though I found out after and did not notice them). Byrne said he was not offered but would not accept because he dislikes the X-Men films and so on.

Edited by HarrisonJohn

Chris Claremont and Wolverine co-creator Len Wein have cameos in the film (though I found out after and did not notice them). Byrne said he was not offered but would not accept because he dislikes the X-Men films and so on.

He would have made a great Secret Service Agent for the movie.

364335-76540-john-byrne.jpg

I went yesterday and gave it a C+ but I really had high hopes so that may have brought down the grade some. My biggest complaint was the lack of substance to the whole thing. The future was shown as this bleak wasteland with people in cages but I though the comics did a better job of showing mutants being used to hunt other mutants and living in a constant state of fear. The battle scenes seemed to not have much emotional punch since the X-Men pretty much died and then they did it all over again at the end of the movie. I wanted Colossus holding Storm's body while wolverine's smoldering skeleton lay on the floor. I did like quicksilver and the young Professor X and Magneto were very good. Overall - I just left the theater going Blah.

It's expected to hit between $105-$120 million at end of this long weekend, and will be opening internationally in Russia, China, U.K. And Mexico. X-men 3 hit just over $102 million on its Memorial Day weekend. This movie is much better than X3, so I'm confident it will gross higher than X3 when all is said & done.

I don't know if it was mentioned, but financially the movie isn't doing all the well. It is on pace to make X3 money.

Budget/marketing = $220 million

Worldwide opening weekend = $280 million

It's doing very well. :)

Peace,

Chip

Byrne said he was not offered but would not accept because he dislikes the X-Men films and so on.

He would have made a great Secret Service Agent for the movie.

Nah, he's more of a Revolutionary War soldier.

Peace,

Chip

Edited by Chip Cataldo