• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men:Days of Future Past movie confirmed
1 1

2,129 posts in this topic

I went yesterday and gave it a C+ but I really had high hopes so that may have brought down the grade some. My biggest complaint was the lack of substance to the whole thing. The future was shown as this bleak wasteland with people in cages but I though the comics did a better job of showing mutants being used to hunt other mutants and living in a constant state of fear. The battle scenes seemed to not have much emotional punch since the X-Men pretty much died and then they did it all over again at the end of the movie. I wanted Colossus holding Storm's body while wolverine's smoldering skeleton lay on the floor. I did like quicksilver and the young Professor X and Magneto were very good. Overall - I just left the theater going Blah.

Ditto

The future sentinels just simply wiped out any super powered being...

Overral a nice efforth and the quicksilver actor was the best imho... showing when the FX serves the character and not the other way around.

Probably a solid B.

I was shocked and impressed seeing so many youngsters on such a violent and graphic movie (6 to 8 years old). Don't know what the parents have in their heads... :tonofbricks:

regards

I don't know if it was mentioned, but financially the movie isn't doing all the well. It is on pace to make X3 money.

With the cost of these movies, you have to wonder how much longer studios will keep making them...

The superhero movies actually have dominated box office sales this year worldwide.Captain America and ASM 2 are two of the top 5 biggest worldwide box office movies of the year, with X-Men:Days of Future Past joining them in a few weeks with really no competition for the next month until Transformers Age of Extinction comes out.

They will keep making them because really what other genre has dominated like superhero movies have?

We have come a long way since people lined up to see Kramer vs. Kramer over Star Trek! (thumbs u

I don't know if it was mentioned, but financially the movie isn't doing all the well. It is on pace to make X3 money.

With the cost of these movies, you have to wonder how much longer studios will keep making them...

The superhero movies actually have dominated box office sales this year worldwide.

They will keep making them because really what other genre has dominated like superhero movies have?

We have come a long way since people lined up to see Kramer vs. Kramer over Star Trek! (thumbs u

I really like your enthusiam on here (I do), but you really need to read more Peter Bart stuff on Hollywood trends. ;)

once the utters run dry...

Chris S. is right. This isn't a $60 million 1989 Batman grossing $250 million (not adjusted for inflation) or a $140 million Spider-Man grossing $400 million domestic. These films are gonna depend on international grosses in order to be green-lit with their big-budgets. Thus, they will get more and more high concept, until your suspension of belief will have to be supported by a giant crane and all it will take is one action movie hit with an ordinary hero (modest budget) against overwhelming odds to remind the mainstream expensive cape movies are kind of silly (that or a real-life event that changes the world into a more serious climate- see what cancelled the original Batman TV series).

I went yesterday and gave it a C+ but I really had high hopes so that may have brought down the grade some. My biggest complaint was the lack of substance to the whole thing. The future was shown as this bleak wasteland with people in cages but I though the comics did a better job of showing mutants being used to hunt other mutants and living in a constant state of fear. The battle scenes seemed to not have much emotional punch since the X-Men pretty much died and then they did it all over again at the end of the movie. I wanted Colossus holding Storm's body while wolverine's smoldering skeleton lay on the floor. I did like quicksilver and the young Professor X and Magneto were very good. Overall - I just left the theater going Blah.

Yeah my thoughts exactly.

The superhero movies actually have dominated box office sales this year worldwide.

I really like your enthusiam on here (I do), but you really need to read more Peter Bart stuff on Hollywood trends. ;)

Chris S. is right. This isn't a $60 million 1989 Batman grossing $250 million (not adjusted for inflation) or a $140 million Spider-Man grossing $400 million domestic. These films are gonna depend on international grosses in order to be green-lit with their big-budgets. Thus, they will get more and more high concept, until your suspension of belief will have to be supported by a giant crane and all it will take is one action movie hit with an ordinary hero (modest budget) against overwhelming odds to remind the mainstream expensive cape movies are kind of silly (that or a real-life event that changes the world into a more serious climate- see what cancelled the original Batman TV series).

Yea the article I read discussed the enormous budget and the small amount of money they make in the end. Why continue to make these 300-400 million dollar movies when they came make smaller budget films?

The article I read went in to the implications that ASM 2 and X-Men: DOFP might have on the big companies.

Personally I thought the film was the best X-Men movie I've seen.

Yea the article I read discussed the enormous budget and the small amount of money they make in the end. Why continue to make these 300-400 million dollar movies when they came make smaller budget films?

The article I read went in to the implications that ASM 2 and X-Men: DOFP might have on the big companies.

I probably read that article as well late yesterday, which at times seemed to expect a hit superhero movie nowadays requiring a $100 MM first weekend and $700 MM worldwide in the end or it is a bust.

But if you look at the X: DoFP results across the markets, it actually did well in a 2014 market peppered with movies that fed off of each other (Amazing Spider-Man, Godzilla, X-Men: Days of Future Past). The previous years, you didn't have such a flood of huge movies back-to-back like this.

Box Office Mojo: X-Men dominates Memorial Day weekend

It dominated, but meanwhile had to contend with all these movies that have come out. And by next week, it will break a record for the overall franchise.

X-Men also opened day-and-date in most foreign markets and earned a phenomenal $171.1 million. By next weekend, it will pass The Wolverine ($282 million) to become the highest-grossing X-Men movie ever.

And the worldwide results were quite positive, even with the competition.

At 118 countries, X-Men: Days of Future Past opened to a massive $171.1 million overseas this weekend. According to Fox, it earned more across the same bucket of territories than The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

It's that competition for our wallets that isn't allowing for a massive financial domination. But the road ahead over the next few weeks will allow for further growth for all three movies.

The X-Men franchise is typically very front-loaded, though there's reason to believe that Days of Future Past might buck this trend. It's received strong reviews (91 percent on Rotten Tomatoes) and good word-of-mouth, and competition in the next few weeks isn't too bad. It should have no problem getting to $225 million, and could even come close to $250 million.

This little note at the end of that article is just amazing. 'Frozen' just tore the market up. Disney is hitting home runs out of the park like mad.

Frozen held on to first place in Japan for the 11th weekend in a row. The movie now ranks fourth all-time there with $193.7 million. On a worldwide basis, it passed Iron Man 3 to become the top movie from 2013 and the fifth-biggest all-time. To date, the animated sensation has earned $1.22 billion.

This little note at the end of that article is just amazing. 'Frozen' just tore the market up. Disney is hitting home runs out of the park like mad.

Frozen held on to first place in Japan for the 11th weekend in a row. The movie now ranks fourth all-time there with $193.7 million. On a worldwide basis, it passed Iron Man 3 to become the top movie from 2013 and the fifth-biggest all-time. To date, the animated sensation has earned $1.22 billion .

I wonder what Frozen's production budget was? hm

Frozen held on to first place in Japan for the 11th weekend in a row. The movie now ranks fourth all-time there with $193.7 million. On a worldwide basis, it passed Iron Man 3 to become the top movie from 2013 and the fifth-biggest all-time. To date, the animated sensation has earned $1.22 billion .

I wonder what Frozen's production budget was? hm

BOM states $150 million.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=frozen2013.htm

It's at $111M after 4 DAYS.

It's at 55% of its budget after 4 DAYS.

And word of mouth is as strong as I've ever seen it.

Odds are - it's going to do just fine.

Yup!

'X-Men: Days of Future Past' scores $111-million on Memorial Day weekend

The worldwide number easily exceeds the cost of this movie already. And it is only the first long weekend.

Box Office: 'X-Men: Days Of Future Past' Nabs $302M Worldwide Debut

Though it didn't exceed 'X-Men Last Stand' when it comes to opening weekend, I still think it is on a solid roll. There are just a lot of movies out right now pulling that first purchase cash around. But the same viewers will probably go see more than one of these movies over the next few weeks. They just decided to go with one for the long weekend, and that is what we are initially seeing.

It's at $111M after 4 DAYS.

It's at 55% of its budget after 4 DAYS.

And word of mouth is as strong as I've ever seen it.

Odds are - it's going to do just fine.

....... and it's not just the box office takings that have to be taken into account, DVD sales and merchandising are huge incomes as well.

Took the kids to see it this afternoon.

I was kind of shocked by the violence. Like, it's not OK to show Wolverine stabbing people with his claws all the time, but somehow it is OK to show mutants getting ripped in half, skulls crushed, faces shoved into flamethrowers, impaled with slithery metal appendages...I mean, geez, didn't they used to just punch each other?

The other thing I thought was weird was how they just drop Quicksilver after what I thought was the best scene in the entire movie. "Gee, you're amazingly useful and powerful, see you later, dude!" They could've had a line by Xavier or somebody saying, "No, he's too young, blah blah," but, whatever.

Overall pretty entertaining. The kids liked it.