• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a Frank Miller signature?

34 posts in this topic

Here it is. Opinions if you please. I have looked at comparables and it looks like some of the known ones but not exactly. It could be an older sig, that is why I am posting here, asking for advice. The signature is on the splash page of DD 168.

Thanks for looking

Photoon2012-08-03at127PM.jpg

Not true.

Not true how? Anyone could have scribbled on that book...who witnessed it? The person posting did not witness the autograph first hand therefore I would simply go with no it is not Frank Miller's Autograph.

By the way I am playing Devil's Advocate because if I was to buy anything with a supposed signature I would like some form of authentication to go along with it. So, maybe SS CGC is not the only way such as a picture of the person autographing it would probably suffice.

Doesn't look anything like this, but who knows...

16gbx28.jpg

Miller changed his sig in the '90s from a decent looking signature to that loopy F thing. This one isn't and exact match of one I've seen before but it could have been done in a transition period. I would not offer it up as a FM sig without further proof.

Miller changed his sig in the '90s from a decent looking signature to that loopy F thing. This one isn't and exact match of one I've seen before but it could have been done in a transition period. I would not offer it up as a FM sig without further proof.

Miller's signature has changed through the years tremendously.

This sketch by Frank below was done circa 1980 or so...he never signs anything like it any more but I happen to know it's authentic.

Personally Orfus, to me it looks like one if his sigs. I've seen him sign like that before.

IMG-20111019-00110.jpg

There's really not much to gain by faking a Frank Miller sig on the inside page of a book. It's unlikely it's fake. As others have pointed out, signatures frequently change as well.

As someone who owns or has owned several FM signed items, I can say with confidence that not only is that Frank Miller's signature, but also that it would be much harder to fake than you think if someone knows what to look for. Zipper (Steve Zarelli) is something of an expert on signatures outside of the comic field, so it would be interesting to hear him chime in. But I completely disagree with people who are saying it's not Frank because it wasn't witnessed by CGC. Most of the items I own that Frank signed were not witnessed by CGC. He signs all the time. The signature does not really add value to the book, so why would someone fake it these days?

And then there is the fact that it absolutely, 100% looks real.

Edited by FFB

Keep in mind that a large signature done in Sharpie on the cover of a book is going to look different than a small signature done on an interior page in ballpoint pen. On a large signature with a felt-tipped pen, the hand moves a lot at the wrist but not so much at the fingers, and the pen tip brushes across the surface of the paper. With a ballpoint pen doing a small signature, there is less large wrist action and more finger manipulation going on, and the ballpoint digs into the paper instead of flowing across it like a Sharpie does. It would be more suspicious to me if the small interior signature matched the big, Sharpie exterior signature exactly, because that would be evidence that someone was trying to copy a real signature instead of mindlessly whipping out a quick one at a convention.

Some of the things that handwriting experts look for are where the pen initially hits the paper, how it hits the paper, how the letters flow from one to the next, weight of the ink in different places on the line, and what letters a scribbly signer might emphasize. The signature in question looks very consistent with a lot of FM signatures I own, have owned in the past, and have seen.

Edited by FFB