• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC is really pushing the envelope posted by dlagewaa

97 posts in this topic

I say sketch covers get a NG, it would simmer down some of the high values people are paying for the grade and not the artists work, when it should be the other way around and it would speed up the turnaround time of other books.

I am a sketch collector and I agree that they should absolutely receive a NG. I always buy the art and not the grade yet 9.8s will see a premium return over lesser grades even if the sketch itself is of lesser quality. That's stupid. It's also arbitrary that if I scribbled all over a cover the comic would get either dinged way down to like a 5.0 or get a restored label for color touch. Yet when an artist scribbles all over a cover that effectively gets ignored in the grade.

Can you submit sketch covers that you drew yourself without it affecting the grade? I mean, I've had the chance a couple times to buy blank sketch covers. If I bought one and then drew my own cover and sent it in, would it get the same treatment as if a pro had done it?

Just curious. Anyone tried this or know what the result would be?

Personally I think CGC would solve all their problems if they had two locations.One on the East coast as they have in Florida,and one on the West coast. 2c

I bought this up once and it was mentioned that consistency could be a problem and an East Coast vs West Coast - who grades better? etc. might be an issue too. The only way to solve this is to rotate the graders but I'm not sure if that would be possible.

Personally I think CGC would solve all their problems if they had two locations.One on the East coast as they have in Florida,and one on the West coast. 2c

I bought this up once and it was mentioned that consistency could be a problem and an East Coast vs West Coast - who grades better? etc. might be an issue too. The only way to solve this is to rotate the graders but I'm not sure if that would be possible.

Do you realise how much of a logistical nightmare that would be? What CGC needs is a larger staff and more machinery to encapsulate books. So far they have addressed half the issue. I imagine the ramp up time to train graders and the cost associated with the encapsulation machine is considerable.

It would take potentially months to train someone and then monitor them to ensure they are meeting the standards, even for someone who is experienced handling books, because it would have to be done "the CGC way" (they have their way of doing things).

I would submit books if the turnaround time wasn't months. Should be "Weeks" at the most.

I think CGC needs to "expand" in some way. Whether this is simply by hiring new people, or opening up an entirely new facility. If their grading practices are as "strict" as they claim they are there should be NO "well this one is better than that one" and "well they're more lenient on grades at that facility".

As for now, I'm not sending them any books - and that's a loss on their end. How many other people don't send in books because of an embarrassing turnaround time?

I would submit books if the turnaround time wasn't months. Should be "Weeks" at the most.

I think CGC needs to "expand" in some way. Whether this is simply by hiring new people, or opening up an entirely new facility. If their grading practices are as "strict" as they claim they are there should be NO "well this one is better than that one" and "well they're more lenient on grades at that facility".

As for now, I'm not sending them any books - and that's a loss on their end. How many other people don't send in books because of an embarrassing turnaround time?

Based on the turnaround times, not too many.

+1 - I've been thinking about this for a while. Comics are on the rise (the stats show it). Take the leap and open another location.

:signfunny:

I wonder hm

It doesnt seem like it based on the turnaround times being so long but pretty much everyone i talk to seems to say they are either not sending or sending less than they really want because of the wait times. I have a feeling that the amount of books not being submitted because of the turnaround times is pretty large :o

I wonder hm

It doesnt seem like it based on the turnaround times being so long but pretty much everyone i talk to seems to say they are either not sending or sending less than they really want because of the wait times. I have a feeling that the amount of books not being submitted because of the turnaround times is pretty large :o

I would imagine you are mainly talking to collectors. All the dealers and flippers I know are still submitting full steam ahead.

That's pretty much true, I'm talking collectors mainly.

I would LOVE to see the breakdown of books CGC grades by %. GA/SA vs BA/CA vs Moderns hm

That would be an interesting chart.

[sarcasm on] If I had known before submitting the books that instead of 20 days I would have to expect a 110 days turnaround I might have gone for express [sarcasm off]

I am not a dealer. I am someone who in his youth spend his pocket money on FF, Spiderman etc comics from the US. And a bunch of those I still have.

I do not recall the exact number, but when I submitted it was not 85 days. More like 40 days.

Apart from this, earlier submissions did take lots more than advertised, so I already was taking the official turnaround with a grain of salt.

And 20 days, 40 days, 60 days. To me it is not such a problem, apart from the fact that I am really anxious to now how my books survided the years. But 80, 100 and now 110 perhaps even more days is a bit ridiculous, don't you think?

I would LOVE to see the breakdown of books CGC grades by %. GA/SA vs BA/CA vs Moderns hm

What percentage would represent modern books do you think? 50% or more?

A good percentage are moderns, and out of the moderns I imagine the bulk are SS books.

I do not recall the exact number, but when I submitted it was not 85 days. More like 40 days.

Apart from this, earlier submissions did take lots more than advertised, so I already was taking the official turnaround with a grain of salt.

And 20 days, 40 days, 60 days. To me it is not such a problem, apart from the fact that I am really anxious to now how my books survided the years. But 80, 100 and now 110 perhaps even more days is a bit ridiculous, don't you think?

Exactly.

What, so I can pay regular submission fees - be told when I'm getting the books back, and they're full of mess and it really takes much longer?

OR, in order to get them back quicker I have to pay MORE for express? What about a flat fee for a reasonable service time?

Exactly.

What, so I can pay regular submission fees - be told when I'm getting the books back, and they're full of mess and it really takes much longer?

OR, in order to get them back quicker I have to pay MORE for express? What about a flat fee for a reasonable service time?

I look at it that there is no incentive for CGC to improve the turn around times on their regular service. The longer turn around times push more people to use their express service; which in turn; means that CGC makes more money on each book that they grade.

So why would they want to improve their turn around times and loose the extra revenue that they make on people using their express service? As long as express service is offered and cost a premium to use; I just don't see turn around times improving much any time in the near future.

Psy

That would be an interesting chart.

The answer is only a click away.

Census Summary

Exactly.

I look at it that there is no incentive for CGC to improve the turn around times on their regular service. The longer turn around times push more people to use their express service; which in turn; means that CGC makes more money on each book that they grade.

So why would they want to improve their turn around times and loose the extra revenue that they make on people using their express service? As long as express service is offered and cost a premium to use; I just don't see turn around times improving much any time in the near future.

Psy

Because I think that more people would submit books - gaining them more customers, more business, and more money. Everyone would win.

As of now, those who regularly submit books seem to know that express is the only way to go. Why should it be?